3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another kid joins the fold  (Read 137 times)

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Another kid joins the fold
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
My nephew and I (he's 12 and has been shooting a recurve for 4 years now) were prepping for his first  deer hunt coming up this weekend.  We set up a couple blinds in my yard to shoot from.  His sister, 5, was having fun just playing in the popups for a while but then asked if she could shoot.

I took out an old 25# recurve that I have and let her have a go at it.  Well, she couldn't draw it more than a few inches so I had to help her.  And she put her first shot right in the bull.  She shot about a dozen more arrows but the bow was just too heavy for her.  Rather than give up, like little kids sometimes do, she asked me if I could get her a "littler bow and arrow".

So, where can I get one that's really affordable?  When I was a kid I had a yellowish glass bow that had a shelf on either side.  I am looking for something like that.  Again, not too much money as she's a kid who may not be interested in it as soon as next month, but that will last her util she can grow into the 25# recurve if she so desires.

I really wish I still had that old glass bow.  Something about the first bow you ever shot... and passing it along to someone else.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on where to get something that works but is cheap let me know.

I know there are a couple guys here that make kids bows, but she's not ready for that yet.  I'd hate to see a fine piece of work just collecting dust.

Thanks.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another kid joins the fold
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
some times wally world has those little red bows or else try 3 rivers, they have a bow for little ones too.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another kid joins the fold
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  I should have thought to go to 3R.  It appears they have just what I need.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©