3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Plains Recurves  (Read 655 times)

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Plains Recurves
« on: September 22, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I'm an OLD target shooter (started in the early 1950s) and, while I enjoy shooting the field ranges and 3-D, I don't expect that I ever will be inclined to take a shot at a living animal, so I don't need a short, maneuverable bow that will help keep me from entanglement in brush, etc.  

I'm looking to add a new recurve to my stable in the approximate 50# (+/- a pound or two) draw range but, aside from a Martin X-200 my wife bought me last Christmas and which I hope to sell soon, I haven't owned or shot anything newer than a 1964 Bear Tamerlane. (A 35#er that I still use with fair success at the indoor range but which is seriously distance-challenged in the field, and I recently delaminated my trusty old 55# Polar.  But that's another story, not worthy of repetition here.)  Naturally I'd like a bow that's smooth, fast, and as accurate as can be given my level of talent.

I'm taken by the looks of Great Plains' recurve bows, particularly the 64-68" B-Model (and, of course, the Paragon) take-downs, but I haven't been able to find a good deal of information about them from experienced archers.  I'd really appreciate your candid opinions about these bows -- the pros and the cons -- since I'd like to submit a Christmas wish-list THIS year based on some advance research.  Or would some other bow suite my needs as well/better?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Plains Recurves
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I just got a Great Plains sr swift in July, I'm really impressed with performance for 58" 48#@28" bow. I know several guys who had nothing but good things to say about Great Plains,I think you will pleased. Good shooting!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I've owned two Original Model recurves - excellent bows!
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
i have owned the longbows and recurves ...excellent bows ..bill makes one hell,uv a bow
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
I have a 64" take-down B-model that is 42# and a Paragon that is 37#.  Both bows are smooth and stable and as accurate as I can be.  I draw 30" and like the performance of either one.  I have a flipper rest and spring plunger on the Paragon and can dial it in very well for a variety of shafts.

You won't be disappointed in either of them.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
I've never shot one ,but they are very good looking bows  ........ I sure wouldnt be afraid of them
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I have two of the one piece bows and love them both. I have a 42# and a 52# at 28". These are the B models. Smooth pulling. Not the fastest bow but they are great shooters. I really want one of the Swift models. They say they are quick.

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
58" SR Swift here, 50#@28. Love the looks, feel and great performance. I own and enjoy shooting alot of bows. I did score my first tradtition Buck with it. My SR swift is not only a keeper , it is my go to bow. Shoot one and, atleast for me, it sold itself for reasons listed above. Dont be afraid to try a shorter bow, you might find yourself delighted. I did. There are alot of plusses to a shorter bow. Once you get used to it, and that doesnt take long, you will find it hard to come up with a negative. I would reccommend the SR Swift to anyone.
Danny J
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I just sold a 62 inch original riser take down. It was a little too heavy for me at 55@28 and I'm pulling 30. I shot it at a 3-d just before I sold it and at least 5 times the guys in my group commented on how fast it was shooting. I wasn't hitting, but I was missing impressively. If it was 55 at my draw I think I would still have it.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Oregon Okie - "missing impressively" now there's an honest man. I couldn't help but post since I laughed my butt off with that one.

I shoot a lot of 3D and work with a bunch of guys that are trying stickbows for the first time or just pulling the old Bear back out of the closet. I firmly believe that the #1 reason they can't hit the mark more often is they're over bowed. They just can't build consistent form with too much bow weight.

As the bow arm goes, so goes the arrow.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline REM

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
    • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
You will not be disappointed.  They are smooth as butter.

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Wow!  Ten responses overnight!  Thanks everybody.  I sincerely appreciate the feedback -- it's reassuring.  Doesn't anyone have anything BAD to say about these bows? :-)

Cupcake:  How do the Paragon and B-Model compare against one-another?  Do they have unique advantages and disadvantages?  Do you know if the shooting characteristics of a 68" and a 64" B-model (which I assume use the same limbs on different length risers) would differ significantly?

Hatrick, I hear what you're saying about excessive bow weight and, since the newer bows are so much faster than my antiques (and my "antique" shoulders may not be quite as resilient as they used to be,) I'll probably look for something on the South side of 50#.  

Oregon Okie, I have a feeling that "missing impressively" soon will become a standard in the archery lexicon.  I know I'll have plenty of use for the expression.  

Thanks again everyone,

Randy
Randy

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
I sold a GP 'B' model this summer.  60" 53lb.  Beautiful bow, very quick and smooth shooting. Being that I shoot longbows mostly, I couldn't get comfortable with the grip.  You won't go wrong with a Great Plains.
The work praises the man.

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
I sold my B model bamboo and want it back.  (I'm crying inside) Love the grip!
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
I have a 64" one piece recurve, yew limbs.  Smoothest bow I have ever shot.  You ask for a negative.  Hard to get as quiet as I would like.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Randy,
The Paragon has a longer riser than standard and i think they are the same limb.  I have been meaning to try swapping them but have not gotten around to it yet.  They both shoot very smooth and I can not recommend one over the other.

Either one is a sweet bow to shoot and look at.
Kevin

Offline rheubach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
Kevin,
That's very good to know.  In addition to the Paragon (which they don't seem to be exactly "pushing" but advertise only by the generic moniker, "target bow,") GP also is offering a longer riser (23" I think) in the B-model now with AMOs of 66 and 68".  Know anything about those?
Randy

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
I have a 60" 47#@28" Palo Duro B-model recurve. Very smooth, quick, dead in the hand, hit where you look etc etc. Bill makes great looking and performing bows.

V-Archer
"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
My favorite bow is a Great Plains 60", 50#
One piece Palo Duro. I can't say enough about how great it shoots and looks.
Very smooth, fast, light in the hand, and quiet.

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Randy,
The Paragon riser is 23".  A couple years ago when my local shop ordered a Paragon for someone it took a long time to get.  The reason I was told is that the "normal" production line had to be interrupted to make the Paragon riser and it was not easy to find a convenient time to interrupt the line.

I did not know that they now offer the longer riser for the B model.  My 64" bow performs great and I would recommend it to anyone.
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©