3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Stand Tips  (Read 387 times)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Stand Tips
« on: September 23, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Anyone have any tips to make hanging the lone wolf stands easier? I just use the strap on the versa button, not really hard but hopeing there may be some tips to make hanging it a little easier.
Anyone actually use the hook supplied with the stands??
 Thanks in advance..Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Stand Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
The hook is all I ever use. It's nice to be able to put the stand on the hook then get it in the position you want before strapping everything down. The best piece of gear for hanging any stand is a safety belt and a lineman's belt. Having both hands free to position the stand and attach the straps is a huge plus and makes the whole process much easier.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Bill: You use the hook and then the strap on the Versa Button....Correct??
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
That's right. Works like a charm.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
I use one of the straps to attach the steps to my stand for packing in and out. Stack the sticks, run the stap thru the stand, under your back pack straps and to the versa button and pull tight. This keeps them tight to the stand, quiet and no need for the extra bungees for this purpose! I also just keep the straps in my pocket when I am done, I don't bother to wrap them around the sticks, etc, quieter and quicker for me!

Also the Arrowmaster quiver attaches perfectly to the side of the stand with a mini bungee with easy access to the arrows!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Mike,

"Anyone actually use the hook supplied with the stands??
Thanks in advance..Mike"

:scared:  Where did you get the idea you use the stand without the hook?

After the first stick is on the tree I climb and attach the second, then climb down. Climb with the third stick, attach it and the stand hook. Back down for the stand and haul up rope. Hang stand, attach lower strap, take the stand and tie off saftey harness, haul up gear. Look around to see if I left anything on the ground, which I never do and I never drop anything either. Is there a easier way, short of someone doing it for me?

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I don't use the hook - I've had a bad experience with the stand actually lifting off the hook when I went to level it, so instead I use the offset bracket (you can't use both).

I just use the top most versa button, tighten the strap down, and step out onto the platform.  flip the seat down, kneel on it, and use my toe to pull up the edge of the platform and collapse the stand - this will cause the whole stand to drop down, and lock the offset bracket/strap securely to the tree.  Then I just push the platform back level, which acts like a lever and locks the stand in place.

It's super secure, and won't budge an inch - infact if you don't tighten up the single strap and do the above, you can generate a TON of leverage on the stand's frame - almost to the point of bending it, so be careful!
Support the sport!

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Never installed the offset bracket to try the stand that way but will, just to see how it works because the stand has lifted off the hooks when setting before.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
I never used the hook either, never. I like the offset bracket to much to use the hook. I also use 2 straps on the stand, I lift the stand lkei wihill does to lock it into place, I do this before i get onto it though!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Sorry Mike,

I didn't mean to sound like a know it all with the hair raising quote, I misunderstood. I learned something about my equipment I didn't know.

Rusty

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
I havent used the offset bracket but may give it a try. Seems like using the hook doesnt let the stand slide down and tighten the straps properly.
I have only been using the top strap for several years no problems yet. Is this safe?
 Mike
 Aldo Leopold

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I hope so, I just took mine out of the box and it only has one button/strap on it.  I assumed that was all that was needed until I went to their website and saw that all the photos have 2 straps...
I didn't get a hook thingy either.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
I've used one strap for as long as I've had the stand - just keep up on the wear of the strap and you'll be fine.
Support the sport!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
I've used the hook, but prefer the offset bracket. I also use the bottom strap.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
My stand came with the hook/strap, the off-set bracket and one button/strap. I didn't think the stand was supposed to be used without the hook or the off-set bracket. Obviously it can but I wouldn't trust it without one or the other

Rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©