3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a NEW bow  (Read 389 times)

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking of buying a NEW bow
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
Hey guys, I am seriously considering getting a new bow made for me.  I like r/d longbows that are about 64" long.  There is one thing that are a must for me...2 peice take-down.  I do not like the "feel" of a three peice but I do not have the space for a one peice.  Right now I am shooting a Selway little magnum with the bow hinge design, I like the bow and can almost drive nails with it, but the bow-hinge gives me fits when I am trying to display it.  
I guess my question would be, who can I look into making me a two peice (bolt or sleeve) with a bird's eye maple riser with a draw of 60-65lb at 27, for about $6-800  I looked into a Thunderhorn, like their take-down system, but $950 is a bit steep for me.
Thanks for your input.
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of buying a NEW bow
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
I have great thing about the Toelke Whip....

You can find a wealth of information on here...

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
A Super Shrew will get ya there, but ya will wait a year. Toelke will be there as well and a host of others, if ya want one with a few months it may be tough, look at used bows, probably $500 or so. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
All the Toelkes I've had were received in a month or less from ordering.  Dan has some stock bows on his web site now, including some 2 piece takedown Whips...Mike

Offline kingrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
I also vote for the Whip.Toelke bows are the only bows I own.

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Hey Alex...call Bob Sarrels.  He can make you one up with the bow bolt.  Price ought to be in the neighborhood.  By the way, I have tried calling you...been to the lake twice...but I never could get ahold of you.  Where you been man?

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
Toelke is definitely the way to go.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Dryad Oracle...  :thumbsup:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
I'm researching them all them now, and by the looks of it the Whip is winning in votes.
Duck'n things have been going hectic down here.  There are gar all over the place and I can't even get out after them.  The Boss told me to order a bow and said that the company will pay for it as a bonus for this year.  I am really looking forward to it.
62" 53#@28"
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Check out CariBow archery by Abe Penner...
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Birds eye maple is not tough enough to put a bow bolt in on a 60 plus pound bow.  Chad

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »
Alex,

The guy I think could make you the best bow out there of the type you are looking for is the guy who posted right above me -- Chad Holm. His Holm-Made bows are outstanding. I was the high bidder on the St. Jude's auction for one of his bows. His donation was to custom build a bow for the high bidder. I wanted a bow bolt to get a takedown bow, which was not part of the bow he had donated. I asked him if I could pay the standard $200 for the upgrade and he agreed. I told him to build a longbow he would want for himself.

Frankly, I was not expecting too much out of the bow, but I wanted to make sure any bow that was donated received full value. Wow, was I surprised when the bow actually arrived and I got to shoot it. It is 62" and 52 pounds at my 29 1/2" draw length. The bow is smooth, stable, light, shock-free, accurate as a laser, and VERY fast. In fact, it reminds me a lot in its performance of my ACS CX and my Morrison Shawnee with Dakota foam core limbs, both of which have the carbon backing and cost more than twice what the Holm-Made with the bow bolt does.

I am eventually going to do a review of my Holm-Made and post the review here on TradGang, but I will vouch for the fact that it is a first class performer and looks good too. The only reason more people are not raving about Chad's bows is that not enough people have shot them. In my opinion, this bow is the best deal you will find on a bow of the type you have described. Chad is a very good person to work with. You can see that he is not trying to sell anyone on his bows because all he did here in this thread was make a helpful comment. I have never met Chad and don't owe him a thing. I didn't even expect him to send me much of a bow, but he sure did. You owe it to yourself to consider one of his bows.

Just to let you know, I have Morrisons, Brackenburys, Blacktails, an ACS CX and other top of the line bows, and the Holm-Made is up there with the others in performance and accuracy. It may not be as fancy as some of the others, but the animals don't care if the bow is just really good looking or great looking. One of the things I can tell you about the Holm-Made that is something none of my other takedown bows have is the very light weight that make me feel like I am barely carrying anything. After a long day of walking with the bow and only a few minutes of shooting it (even if you are after small game) you will appreciate that very light weight. My Holm-Made is definitely a permanent part of my arsenal although it will never displace the Bracks, Morrisons, Blacktails or ACS CX bows that I dearly love. But those other high dollar (and high quality) bows of mine are not the kind of bow you are looking for Alex, and the Holm-Made definitely is!!!!   :thumbsup:  If you want more information about my Holm-Made, feel free to PM me.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
I think Ron King at Fox Archery makes a 2 piece, fine bowyer too...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Wow saw the website and those Holm-Made are sweet.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Wait until you shoot one and then you will really be impressed!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Alex,

I wanted to add that I agree with Shawn Leonard that a Shrew would be wonderful, but it would cost a bit more than you have in your budget (close to the $950 that you say is too steep), and you would still have to wait a year to get it. You could always hope to find a used Shrew in your draw weight with a bow bolt, but if one ever came up for sale you would have to see it and buy it within minutes or someone else would take it first. Gregg Coffey builds great bows, and the Shrew line has an almost cult-like following. I know because I'm part of the cult! For what you want, I still think the Holm-Made bow is the way to go. You will not be disappointed if you do -- at least I'm not, as you can probably tell.    ;)

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the imput guys.  Allan, your testimonial speaks volumes to me about the quality bow Holm's makes.  I think I have it narrowed down to 2 bowyers already.  If-when I order my new bow, I'll be sure to post up some pics.
Once again thanks for all the imput.

Alex
62" 53#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©