3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heating up a Woodsman ferrule? (screw in)  (Read 3285 times)

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
Heating up a Woodsman ferrule? (screw in)
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I got a package of Woodsman's for Christmas and need to true them up so they spin good (I still don't understand why they, and other brands,  don't come already true).  Anyway, I hit them with a heat gun first cuz I was being cautious not to change the temper.  Then I resorted to the torch which still didn't work.  I'm pretty sure if I got them smoke'n hot, they'd come loose but I don't want to do that.  I'm guessing they've use some kind of epoxy since they are so stubborn.  Anyway, anyone have a tip or suggestions for me?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heating up a Woodsman ferrule? (screw in)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
Luke....if these are pre-mounted screw-in types, just try heating the insert, not the head itself. It will get hot enough to melt the epoxy before you destroy the temper of the head.  Then reinstall with stick glue of your choice.
ChuckC

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
Don't you have someone that lives close by to hold your hand thru this stuff?  LOL.

Just zapp them with the dam torch, they'll pull off waaaay before you hurt the temper.

Don't come true?  What are you talking about???

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Ah! I knew there was someone out there with an answer!  Yes, they are the screw in type, I should have mentioned that.  Thanks Chuck, I'll give that a try and put some more "stank" to it with the torch.  I didn't want to screw up a head cuz I'm gonna need ALL of them this spring!

Steve, do you think "the beast" would work well for sharpening those little beauties?

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
The beast is too beastly, she'll jump out and bite you if you don't respect her!  That said, with a fine belt, elt me show you a way I think it would work.

Oh, factory glue, that's different.  Hmmm?

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
It is best to buy the glue-ons and use your own adapters.You can get them right the first time then.jmo

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Yeah, next time I'll buy them w/out inserts and get it right the first time.  So I tried heating the insert but the thing got so stink'n got that the aluminum got all soft. When I went to pull'n on them they got marred up.  I was forced to torch the snot out of the ferrule and even then it was a chore getting the two separated.  Oh well, 5 more to go.

Steve, just kidding about the beast.  I can just see it, 40 grit and sparks flying everywhere!  The blades would would be destroyed!  Might be fun to see though.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Three Rivers told me they are next to impossible to get out. "Good luck" is what they told me. They had too many complaints about the heads coming off in targets that they went to an epoxy to hold the heads to the inserts. I decided to sell mine and order ones without the inserts.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
I got a some of the earlier this year and took the inserts out.  You do have to get them hotter than the old glue that they were using.  Hold the torch heat on the ferrule of the head.  Get them good and hot and they come out.  Get new inserts.  The ones that come out won't be usable again. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Yeah, new inserts is what I figued.  Why the heck aren't they put on straight to begin with!  With all the posititive talk about these heads you'd figure that insterts would be installed correctly.  They need to mention something about this on their website.  It's not just the one head that I was having problems with but all six.  I tried mounting the heads on different shafts just to make sure I wasn't putting them on a dud and it was the same deal every time.  By the time I got the insert out of the first one the head was scorching hot.  I don't know how hot it needs to get to change the temper but if it didn't, it had to be close.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Mike Sohm at Magnus always says they are guaranteed for life right?  Send them all back and tell him why.

I should do that with MANY that I have with a crappy. convex grind.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I just heat up the insert in my arrow and turn it till they spin true, no need most of the time to take it out of broadhead, worked on all but one of my heads....
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
buddy of mine is the R&D for magnus (the maker of the WW), I'll call him here in a bit and get you an answer.

They might take them back and replace them for ya! straight and true hopefully.

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks Dan but I got them all out last night.  The inserts got marred up a bit but I think they'll still be fine.  I remounted a couple, not with glue yet, and they spin perfect now.  I'll just make sure I order them w/out inserts next time and do that part myself.  Those heads sure do look like they mean business when mounted on an arrow!

Offline rh44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
Don't mean to hijack a thread or anything but I am confused.  I have never delt with woodsmans but was planning to trying some next fall.  Are the screw-ons just a glue-on already gluded to an adapter?  If so are the Magnus built the same way?
Be the change you want to see in the world.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Hey Luke,

I talked to my buddy tonight.  Come to find out Magnus is under contract for these heads through 3 rivers.   His concern was you might have detempered the heads themselves.  He also mentioned some adapters on the market don't have the quality control so he mentioned checking all of them out first, then trying to mount the heads and gettem straight.

If all else fails he mentioned to contact 3 rivers.  Out of all of the heads Mike makes it sounds like his own heads have the highest degree of scruitiny put into each one from start to finish where as some of the other contract heads are not (due to money) held up to the same standards.  

Personally I had some (still do) bought back when Biggie HOffman was selling them a handful of years ago.  I bought 2 packages, one package had a bunch that didnt spin true either.   The only thing we could figure is they were just ground off center.   Sent them back and they were replaced.

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks Dan, maybe I should try and go directly to the source next time.  Now that I've got'em fixed, they are ok now.  

rh44mag,

To my understanding, yes.  After pulling the inserts out of a Woodsman, the heads weighed 125.  I think Magnus Snuffers increase in diameter a little when you get into the heavier ones.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Yes, I believe they are, the lighter aluminum adapter, and some change out to the heavier steel.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I'll make sure that Dale Karch is aware of this thread.  Woodsmans are suppost to be given the same exacting precision as the rest of the Magnus line and not treated as second rate.  If they are not getting that care then something is seriously wrong! dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I started using them this year.  Lost one in a foam 4 sided block style target from Wallyworld.  I pulled the arrow out and discovered only the insert, still tight, on my arrow.  Didn't know about the glue issue, just kept an eye on them.  The other five have so far done fine...till I lost the second one after shooting a deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©