3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What 2 blade broadhead has the largest cutting diameter  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Faith In Flight

• Trad Bowhunter
What 2 blade broadhead has the largest cutting diameter
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
What 2 blade broadhead has the largest cutting diamter?

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What 2 blade broadhead has the largest cutting diameter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
The Simmons Treeshark is the largest I know of ...

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Yup----I think thats the biggest. Maybe the RazorHead.

Jeff

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Wow 2" cut on Simmons and avaialable with or without bleeder blades sounds like a great turkey head Faith
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Current or past ?  There WERE heads out there that were huge.  Wades book shows a couple heads made a long time ago by Craig Clark that are around 4.5" wide !  Several others in his book look to be nearly 2" and some were wider than 2".
ChuckC

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
I dunno what the largest is, but my ACE 160's I used last year made one heck of a hole!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I think the Simmons has the widest head ,but they cost about $8-10  each.
The Ace I think is the way to go like Arwin said. It's a really wide head and about $21 for 6 of them. I really like the metal they are made of. I  can get them razor sharp with just a file and a piece of leather.
 After tinkering around with close to a dozen less costly heads I have found they are the best of the best.
Plus if you get the 200 grain Aces' they look like you got a boat paddel tied to the end of your arrow.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
My experience with the Simmons Tree Shark has been this;  Shot a mature buck quartering away, about 15 yards from my tree stand.  The broadhead may have hit the flat part of the scapula.  I got about 3" of penetration with a 650 grain arrow shot from my 74# longbow.  Here is the broadhead;

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/alphawolf_/HPIM0120-2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/alphawolf_/P1010146.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d147/alphawolf_/P1010155.jpg  

PLEASE do not use this head for anyything larger than squirrels or rabbits!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Wow!
Mark, you definately wrecked that thing!
Did you ever get the buck?

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Falk,

No, I didn't. I spent 2 full days tracking and searching the area.  A friend also spent the full first day searching also (was shot early in the morning and gave it about 45 minutes before taking up its trail).

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I've been shooting a lot of Magnus 1's lately...very strong, affordable and wide.  There are a few a tad bigger though.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
yep, that tree shark was a victim of "skip angle" - quartering away shot- sometimes even happens on ribs deflecting b/heads.

Even a Grizzly will fall victim to that on some seriously steep quartering shots...if I take a quartering shot I shoot behind the last rib and aim for the offside shoulder as my exit point.

I would use any Simmons head OTHER than the Tree Shark without hesitation...awesome blood trails and strong as they can be..I always thought that head would have some issues due to design..you proved it for me.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
I usually carry at least one of these in my bow quiver, sometimes along with the Simmons interceptor. While I've not killed a big game animal with the Tree shark yet, I've killed some small game and generally abused a couple in practice. Not sure why this one failed but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the right animal, at the right distance with one. I qualify that because even with my relatively heavy gear, it's a dang big head and needs some serious horsepower to push it through something so I probably wouldn't shoot one at a 300# hog but would most certainly at any deer under 20 yards. And the front profile looks to be at least as strong as the interceptor and I've shot one of those into a vertebrate with no issues whatsover. I'll also say these heads are amazingly straight spinning and accurate for how big they are.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
JC, are you using the screw in tree shark or a glue on with an adaptor?  I use the Tiger Shark and have had great luck on deer with it but usually use the glue on and add a steel adaptor.  Seems the glue on's are a litle sturdier but that's just my take   :thumbsup:  

Joe

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
The treeshark did fly very well at the range and was also very quiet.  The arrow did hit the deer where I was aiming, which I thought at the time was behind the scapula.  When I saw the damage to the head I assumed I must have hit the scapula, but Ray pointed out, maybe it was a rib hit.  In any case I am certain that if I had made that that same hit with a Ribtek, WW, razorcap or a slicktrick, those heads would have held up and penetrated.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
The Simmons are my favotite head and all I will shoot because of there size and design.I do not however use the screw-in heads.They are not as strong and can be more difficult to sharpen as well.I love the glue-ons on adapters.They give me more options for weight and tuneing and allow me to get a lot of cutting from my lighter weight bows without penitration problems.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
I like the Ace Super Express, but have rolled the tips over on a couple.  I wish they'd carry the lamination all the way to the tip on them.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I killed a big Kudu Bull and an 1700+ lb. Eland both quartering away with the 160 Interceptors and as ray said and I have found out you have to aim for the offside shoulder , so far when I have hit there I get great penatration , Also shot completly through a 125# hog  with Bubba Stratten this past Jan. on the St. Jude's hunt . I can understand where Flatrbow is coming from though as when I have had bad luck or a bad expierence with a certain product then I don't care who is praising it I won't use it , you have to have confidence in what you use , best of luck to all , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Sorry Ray , didn't mean any disrespect , should have capitolized your name , I type faster than I think and only type with 2 fingers so that should explain , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I've killed 3 deer with the Tree Shark. Excellent penetration, excellent and short blood trails. The only time I have bent one is when I missed a buck almost straight down and hit a rock dead on. Like James said, I use the glue on version. The ferrule is much longer and the head is a lot stronger. By the way JC, you don't need much horsepower to shoot that head. It penetrates very well....as well as any head I've killed deer with in my opinion.... and on the three deer I killed with them they were less than 10 yard shots that went in high and came out the bottom...penetrated to the fletch. Surprising considering its size....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©