3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEW 250 and 300 grain Tusker Screw Ins now at Braveheart Archery  (Read 279 times)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
NEW 250 and 300 grain Tusker Screw Ins now at Braveheart Archery
« on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Tusker broadheads and Braveheart Archery have been "cooking" and look what we've got now!  Factory all steel screw in Tusker Concordes in 250 and 300 grain weights.  These heads feature left single bevel grinds, a tanto tip and a great length to width ratio for excellent flight and penetration.  I've been testing these Tuskers for a while now and I'm cranked about their performance and value.  These run $14.99 per 3, now you don't have to break your piggy bank to have a factory heavy weight head!

Here's a look:

You can learn more here:

Grizzly and Tusker Broadheads at Braveheart Archery

And there's more!    :D    

We also have the 200 grain Aztec screw ins, as well as Tusker Concorde glue ons in 155 and 190 grains.  The Aztecs screw in and the Concorde glue ons are standard double bevel grind for those of you who prefer that, and you can still choose from 5 adapters to build the screw in of your preference if you want to go that route with the glue ons.  The neat thing about the Tuskers is the single piece blade, which makes conversion to single bevel quite easy with a file, which results in a lot of options here to do as you please.  The Australians buy their Tuskers loose so we're selling these the same way, $2.99 per each.  If you want to experiment with a Tusker you can throw one or two in your order to try, or if 6 isn't enough to tip all your arrows you can buy 8...whatever you want...pretty handy isn't it?    :thumbsup:  

We are real excited about these, once you've tried the Tusker I think you'll like them, I know they exceeded my expectations, so much so they're now here at Braveheart.

And there's still a little bit more!  For those of you who buy the Tusker 300 or already use 300 grain points, we've added the new 300 grain field points for your convenience.  Scroll down this page for those:

Points and More

Thanks and have a great season!

Tim @ Braveheart
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEW 250 and 300 grain Tusker Screw Ins now at Braveheart Archery
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Are they going to be available with a right single bevel in the near future? I really like the look of that Concord, but all my arrows are RW fletched.

Thanks!
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
Kevin, since the Grizzlies are all right beveled we went with the left bevel on the Tuskers.  We are however open to future possibilities depending upon demand.

We have the glue on Concordes in double edge grind that can be filed right bevel if you wish, then add the adapter of your choosing.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Tim,

How much grinding and sharpening does the Tusker SB require in order to get a sharp edge?  Is it similar in work up required for a Grizzly?

Thanks,

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
I just ordered a bunch of the 300 grain Concorde screw-ins and the 300 grain field points so I could get them before everyone else grabbed them and they were all gone. I know it is going to take quite awhile to restock when the supplier is half way around the world, and I want to have broadheads like this at such a reasonable price. They may not be Silver Flames, but John at Tusker tells me the Concordes have performed exceptionally well on the same Australian buffalo (the species, not the identical animals, of course) that Dr. Ed Ashby has used as the test bed for many of his broadhead and arrow penetration tests. Since I got 2 dozen of the Concordes for about what just three individual Silver Flames would cost me, I am not too worried about the Concordes not working out as well as I would like. But if they do work, I will be very happy. I realize the non-stainless tool steel in the Concordes does not measure up to the stainless 440B in the Silver Flames and that the construction is not nearly as nice, but a Ford will take me from one place to another almost as well as a Mercedes, and a broadhead won't impress my friends like a Mercedes will. So at this point I am going to go with the F350 of broadheads and try the 300 grain Concordes. I really appreciate the fact that Tim made the effort to get the 300 grain field tips that will be essential to getting proper practice for the Concordes.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
What's the angle of the grind?  Of course I still have ten grizzlies but then again these are left wing compatible....and I have a lot of left wing turkey feather....hmmmm.  Looks like a decent product - thanks.  

If they work well, sure is easier to lose a $5 broadhead than a $30 one.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Hey Tim, how difficult are these heads to sharpen? I am TERRIBLE at sharpening. Gotta get me a KME one day.  :(
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 01:40:00 AM »
Sorry for the delay, let me catch you all up.

JimmyC, I would suggest you sharpen the Concorde much the same as you would a Grizzly, but I find they are not as difficult.  They do require some file work or similar, they are not ready to hunt by any stretch of the imagination, but I find them less time consuming than a Grizzly.  The steel is good hard steel that holds an edge well, but requires less work than a Grizzly to achieve the same result.

SOS, John at Tusker tells me these are as close to 25 degrees as he can get them, which to my eye appears to be a bit shy of that.  Not quite there, but close.  I find I take less off the Tuskers than I do the Grizzlies when I sharpen to my preference if that gives you any idea.

pseman, these are definitely traditional heads and require some work for a hunting edge, less than a Grizzly but still probably not the best choice for the sharpening impaired.

Hope this helps, thanks for all the interest.

Tim @ Braveheart

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Tim: The single bevel Concorde heads look like typical/normal 5 degree taper braodheads mounted on an adapter....is that right? If so, can the adapter on the Concorde be removed? If they are mounted on a screw in adapter what is the weight of the adapter and what would be the weight of the head without the adapter?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Bill, the 300's are the Tusker 190 Glue on, with the single bevel and tanto modification with a factory installed steel adapter of 125 grains.

I think John is using some type of epoxy, I've not tried to remove one but I know it's not hot melt.

I'd expect them to weigh about 180 without the adapter, as the single bevel and tanto tip take some weight off.

You'd probably be better off using the glue on's and adding your adapters than trying to remove the installed ones.  We have the Concorde in both 155 and 190 glue on, and 5 adapters to choose from.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Tim: I've already ordered 6 of them. I will try them on shafts stiffer than what I am currently shooting and see what happens. Just for what it is worth, I have had problems with bhs of all makes that come with an insert already installed. Often they do not spin true and need to be remounted anyway which requires removing the screw in insert. If I could I would prefer to get them without the adapter. I have hundreds of adapters of various weights (I've been holding on to things for about 50 years) so getting one the weight I would prefer would be easy. I will let you know how this works out.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Bill, I understand what you're saying completely.  These are a little different than most heads.  John at Tusker is manually grinding the tanto tips on, which can make them appear to be misaligned when spun.  They are in fact true, he uses a special device he designed himself to align them, so don't let the tip fool you.

Mine do not spin perfectly either, looking close you can tell it's the tip, and they fly laser straight.  Yours are already on the way and I believe you'll like them.    :thumbsup:

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
1. What is mechanical advantage of each of these heavies?

2. What is the HRC range?

3. What are blade thicknesses of each, along edge, and along body at braze??

4. Are these now regular inventory items -- that is, must I buy out your store immediately? I ask because I visited Tusker's web site and did not identify these as being in Tusker's product line.

5. Are inserts for screw-ins made of steel rather than aluminum? How are inserts for screw-ins assembled to blades?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Hi Lance, this link will provide some of the information you seek:

Grizzly and Tusker Broadheads at Braveheart Archery

The HRC is 52, harder than most and takes a great edge without being impossible to work with.  

Blade thickness is .050 on the 250's and .060 on the 300's.

These are new, Tusker made them for us at our request although I don't believe they will be an exclusive they certainly are not available anywhere else at this time.

These are glue in Tusker Concordes to which John added a single left bevel and tanto tip at our request.  They have factory installed steel adapters, he uses epoxy and a special alignment tool to install them.  Thickness at the ferrule is about .070.

I will tell you all, the response has been tremendous, get them while we've got them they are going fast and it will take a while to re-stock from the other side of the world.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Wow guys, thanks for the response.  Still some in stock but they are going fast.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Tim: The bhs were in the  mailbox when I got in from hunting last night. Getting the insert out was pretty easy. With the aluminum adapters I have I get a head that weighs in at 220 grains...perfect for me. I have some shafts to mount them on, then some test shooting and then sharpening....single bevel is new to me so that will be the biggest hurdle for me. I will try these heads out in a few places I hunt where the deer are not likely to disappear into the swamp. I am skeptical of two blades but a friend of mine killed a nice bear with a No Mercy and was impressed with the results. I will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for the quick delivery...great service.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Tim,

I also got the 300 grain broadheads and the field points yesterday. I appreciate the quick delivery. The broadheads look great, but I have to leave town and don't have time to sharpen them and get them set up for the hunt I am going on. I did shoot the 300 grain field points on the front of arrows that shoot well with 150 grain points. I am obviously going to have to tune and fletch up some heavier spined arrows to make up for the extra tip weight, but I expected that and have the shafts waiting for me in the garage.

Thanks,
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Sounds good guys.  Bill that is good to know that the adapters are not hard to remove if so desired, I've hadn't tried that yet.

If the single bevel doesn't turn out to be your thing, we have the Concorde glue ons in double grind available as well, and you can install any adapter you want.  That Concorde 190 is one stout head, looks to be a winner in my book. :thumbsup:

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Still a few of these new heads available, then it will be a while.  Get 'em while we've got 'em!

Tim @ Braveheart

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©