3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: General fitness/ workout program  (Read 304 times)

Offline Hallofo

• Trad Bowhunter
General fitness/ workout program
« on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Howdy all, I was just wondering about putting together a fitness program designed for those of the bowhunty persuasion. I did a few searches on the site and found a few good posts, the goal of THIS post is to consolidate it into one easy-to-read article.

From what I've read, the main issue seems to be with cardiovascular endurance. Note the "endurance" part. Most folks can run or sprint 100 yards without to much of a problem. However, if you throw on a 50+ pound pack, a steep incline and maybe some altitude all of a sudden even the beefy studs start to cry.  

Another issue that I would like to cover is arm/shoulder/back strength and how to properly train yourself for higher draw weights.

Finally, abs and/or "core strength" should be covered because having strong arms and legs are about worthless without something to connect them all together!

So, on to the meaty part of this post: What to do. I consider myself to be in reasonably good shape, but I know there is always room for improvement. My own personal situation is a little out 'o whack right now, it will be some time before I'll be able to run around and chuck Sharp Sticks at assorted critters but I'll usually be around a gym of some sort so I'll have the opportunity to get in shape before picking up a bow. This can be a good plan for those staying in shape for the "off season" or those who just want to up their game. My current workout plan is to work out 6 days a week, with Sundays off. Every other day I do my arm/ab/back workout with a wee bit of cardio to warm up. The other days I focus on cardio and do just a little bit of weight training to keep the 'ole body guessing    :D .

It looks like this:

Monday: Cardio.
     3-10 miles of running at a 10-min mile pace
     OR 1-2 hours on a stationary bike/elliptical machine.
Tuesday: Abs & Stuff.
     Sit-ups (incline bench)
     Side-ups (I have NO clue what they are called, but it's like a sit up only going to the side to work the sides)
     Reverse sit-ups (works the lower back).
     Bicep curls
     Crunches on a fitness ball
     Leg lifts (lower abs)
     Push-ups
     Assorted forearm exercises
     Reverse Push-ups. (push-ups with weights, pull the dumbbell up like you are drawing from the ground)
Wednesday: More Cardio.
Thursday: Abs again.
Friday: Cardio... surprise!
Saturday: More Abs/etc...
Sunday: Well-deserved rest.

I vary the number of reps from week to week. If it ever gets "easy" then I up the weight and/or reps to make sure I always have a challenge. I also eat salads with lots of protein (in the forms of cold-cuts or tuna). Using this plan, I have lost a little over 120 lbs in a year and a half and got into the best overall shape of my life (including my first 4 in the Marines).

Anyhoo... Post your suggestions and comments, I know what works for me might not work for everyone and many simply don't have access to some of the equipment here. My ultimate goal is to shoot a 65-70# bow accurately after running up a hillside after my soon-to-be next meal/jacket.

Offline dead-eye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: General fitness/ workout program
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I live in Colorado, and I love to hunt elk.  But, I have a really bad habit.  I tend to work out (primarily running with some push ups and sit-ups), 2-3 months before elk season, drop 10-15 lbs, go hunting, and then let it fall to the wayside.  This year, at the prompting of my little brother and wife, I started doing the P90X work outs that you see on TV.  I started the workouts in May, and by July, I had lost almost thirty pounds (dropped from 210 down to almost 180 lbs).  I put my self through college on a wrestling scholarship, so I know a solid good work out when I see one, and this is it.  It covers everything.  Legs, arms, back, chest, core, cardio, and even flexibility.    All you really need is a pull up bar and some dumbbells (or power stretch bands).  You can work out at home, when you have the time.  The system is based on muscle confusion; so you don’t do the same work outs all the time.  It really puts quite a bit of focus on the back and shoulders, making it a good work out for the archer.  It also comes with a great diet plan and online help if you want it.  But, it is hard work, and takes dedication to make it work.  You work out hard for 6 days (1-1.5 hours a day) and on the 7th day, you get a break with a stretching routine.  I just got back from my yearly elk hunt.  I have never felt better in the woods, and climbing up those 10000 ft peaks was not near as hard as it was last year.  I also included some running the month before I went hunting. For anyone who wants to make some serious life changes with respect to fitness and overall health, I strongly recommend this program.

Brendan

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
deadeye is right it is the real deal...i don't do all the stuff but i am in the best shape of my life at 41...winning road races and wife is checking me out more...hahaha

heartshot
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I just mountain bike and hike all year. I also backcountry ski, seems to work for me.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Or you could just do a lot of swimming laps(varied styles) and a few hill climbs a week..
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
I've been wondering about that P90X routine. I work out for an hour before work each day. Mixed weight training and cardio.
Is that system expensive?
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline dead-eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Jeager,

I beleive you can get the DVDs for around $130.00 (they let you pay over three months).  If you (or anyone else) have any questions about it, please feel free to e-mail/PM me.  I would me more than willing to answer any questions.

Brendan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
There are so many options but here's what I have settled on.

Stetching and balance work in the morning before waking up the kids for school.  75-100 pushups and situps/crunches.  I alternate some light upper body dumbell work.  This workout is less then 30 minutes.

Cardio work at lunch alternated with toning weight work.  If you want pack work, there's nothing like working out with your pack.  Train for your game.

I'm pondering running the Indy 500 Mini-Marathon (13.1 miles) next spring.  I like to have a goal and I won't be doing a western hunt next year.  Although running a lot wears my joints out  :)

Balance, endurance, flexibility, strength.  Staying at the higher end of the official recommended weight charts seems to work for me.  I am 5'10" and 170 or so.

Don't overtrain and don't do max weight workouts.

Swimming is fantastic BTW.

I'm 41 and in the overall best shape of my life.  I used to get in shape for a hunt and then take a year off.  That is no way to do it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I work in a railroad train yard.I probly walk 3-4 miles every night,and I use the stairs instead of the platform elevators.

I may not be "slim & trim" but I'm "fit".....   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm with Wahoo; I do lots of hiking, mountain biking, and snowshoeing. I play some golf and always walk and carry my bag. I also mix in weights now and then, and try to do things like taking the stairs when elevators are available, parking farther away than necessary when I have to go shopping, etc.
It also helps to live in mountainous country, where things like hill work is a given. If you live in hilly country, just get out and hike/bike. If you don't, stadium step repeats or devices like Stairmasters will get the heart pumping.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Having had back surgery Its hard for to think that anything involving the carrying of a heavy weight is actually good for you.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
I have a few friends who have been on the p90X program.  They all swear by it and have had great success with it.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
www.crossfit.com   you wont find a better program.  Just my two cents worth.

Shawn

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
We recently started an alternative approach to our weight training. Using a relatively light weight do 2 sets with a minute of cardio in between each set. Each set consists of 8 slow reps (8 count for each rep) followed immediately by 8 explosive reps.
Right now I can bench a max of about 255-260. We did the bench workout today with 135lbs and it flat out tore me up. It's a much lower impact than heavy weight training but I can see already where it is going to pay huge dividends.
Thanks for the link to that crossfit system. That looks interesting.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Guys google HIIT exercises.  If your looking to gain strength and lose some fat this is what you want to do for cardio.  Long sustained running will burn up the fat as well as muscle.  Here is what I've been doing from June till now.

Monday: Chest and Back
Bench press
flys
Incline bench w/bar or dumbells
Pull ups
chin ups
rows

Tuesday: HIIT
Sprint uphill approx. 100yrds. rest 1min. repeat 8-10 times.  Or 40yrds as fast as you can same way.  This takes no more than 20mins. for the day and burns more fat than Jogging for miles.

Wednesday: Legs
Squat
Leg Press
Leg extensions
Leg curls

Thursday:  Same as Tues.

Friday: Shoulders, tri's and bi's
Standing overhead press
upright rows
shrugs
close grip bench
dips/weighted
skull crushers
straight bar curls/ ez bar curls
standing dumbell curls

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

I usually throw abs in there on 2 of the days.

Give HIIT a try you like that type of running especially if your hard up for time or just don't enjoy jogging.

When I started I could barely see something below my gut.   :saywhat:    I was really filling up size 38 pants and now my 36's are loose and need a belt.  I didn't have a scale when I started, but I know I was in the 235lbs. range.  Now I have a scale and weigh 215lbs. at 6'3".  Also when I started I wasn't at a gym. I just did push ups and when they got easy with my body weight I used a backpack with some weights in it, and used what weights I did have for the rest of the exercises.  Now thru school I use the gym there.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
However, if you throw on a 50+ pound pack, a steep incline and maybe some altitude all of a sudden even the beefy studs start to cry.

Why in the heck would anyone want to do that anyway????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Don't wanna piss on the campfire here. but please take heed!
I got fired up about one of these workout threads back in December;  been going to the gym three times a week, watching what I eat (well, sort of) all the things that were talked about....
Last week, on a whim, I took a stress test - and flunked.  No symptoms, just thought a fat 48 year old that spends work time behind a desk or in a car should maybe get checked out.  I'm scheduled next week for quadruple bypass, blockages from 70-90%.
Doctor said I could have crumpled like a sack of potatoes at any time.  I had spent the previous weekend bird hunting and scouting for mule deer...now I'll be lucky to hunt at all this year, but thank God they caught it before there was permanent damage....

PLEASE, before you enter in to a fitness program, get checked out by your doctor.

Good luck and good hunting

Kevin (fatman)
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
PLEASE, before you enter in to a fitness program, get checked out by your doctor.

Excellent advice!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Hallofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Lots of good stuff in here, I'll probably incorporate a few things from here into my workouts. Being in a fairly flat area, I never considered finding some bleachers to train on but now I think I'll have to detour over that way when I go on my runs.

I also have a supervisor at work that is quite enthusiastic about his Crossfit, I might just have to follow him to a few gym sessions to see if it'll work for me.

Oh, BTW Biggie:  I'd want to do that in order to kill something and eat it, of course!    :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©