3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch tape ??  (Read 1189 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
fletch tape ??
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
thanks for all the info on the fletching jigs. My next question is how well does fletch tape adhere to gasket laquer on wood arrows.. thanks for everyones advice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch tape ??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I've used it some on woodies dipped in laquer but mostly on my carbons with polycrylic...either works great. One lil trick I've realized is cut the tape just a shade longer than the feather: leave like 1/16 hanging over in both front and back and it seems to help durability. Great stuff, wouldn't go back to  glue after using it.

Only disadvantages I have found are it's incompatibility with any silicon based waterproofing (melts) and the tendency for fletching to "move" if you lay the arrow flat, especially in a hot car etc. But these two minor inconveniences are far overshadowed by the speed of fletching and the durability.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Roy Stroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:04:00 AM »
I have found that it works great with gasket laquer.  I've had my fletching tear up, but not tear loose from the tape or the tape come loose of the arrow.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
I agree with JC. Let the tape extend past the front and back of the feather and put a drop of glue on the ends.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Works great!!

I leave a little overhang also......
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
sounds good on the fletch tape... how does the laquer do over an oil penetrating stain?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Anyone that glues instead of using fletch tape just likes to glue things.  Without fletch tape I wouldn't be making my own arrows and I bet a lot of others feel the same way also.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
The BEST..
I like to add a touch of glue at each end for insuance, but never had a problem.

I agree with Danseotz, unless ya have a dozen jigs set up on a lazy susan.

The ony thing I don't like is the new larger rolls of tape. The smaller ones were easier to handle.

Also whats nice, if ya draw a pencil line along the edge of the fletch, repairs are easy out in the field without a jig.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Works great...apply as stated above...DON'T spray with camp dry...I sure found that out the hard way.  I always use the drop of glue on both ends.

Offline droptine59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I love it. I can crown dip with anything and it will stick unlike glue needing to be chemically compatable with dip material. Hot cars will do in anything. So beware of heat in an enclosed area.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Just replaced a damaged feather on a wood arrow from the fletching I removed from a broken wood arrow the other day. Only took several minutes to do this since both were fletched using the fletch tape. Great stuff!-ART B

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
This reply is for Dansietz

The first batch of woodies I made I used a oil based stain.   I later dipped them in a waterbased poly and it made for a very ugly finish even after several attempts to steel wool and re-dip.    I went to a Lowes and bought waterbased stains.  This worked out alot better.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I'm just curious this way -- why do ya'll suppose a little extra tap at front and back improves durability?
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »
I think after a while the tape shrinks down a little and the extra helps keep the arrow held down at the ends better.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
I just finished my first arrows and used the tape... loved it.  Only tip I would have is to use a fresh safety razor for cutting the tape and cut on a sharp angle back toward the feather.  This leaves a little lip to catch with the edge of the blade to start the peel.  makes it a lot easier.  

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Bpaul  it helps when you shoot into "shot out" targets or if ya pull one out of a target by the fletching.. Just a lil extra secure..
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
To do a dozen shafts with gasket layer start on #1 and dip all 12.  When #12 is dipped, #1 is dry for the second dip and so on.  3 dips is plenty.  A short wait and you are ready to fletch.

Leave about a 1/16th of an inch overhang on each end.  Score one of the overhangs with your thumb nail and the tape will separate.  I have never used any glue on each end of the fletching and I have never lost a feather.  They might get beat up, but they never come off.

I couldn't imagine making this process harder by 24 hour drying times and then fooling around trying to glue on fletching, which I honestly can't do anyhow.  But to each his own.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
To do a dozen shafts with gasket layer start on #1 and dip all 12.  When #12 is dipped, #1 is dry for the second dip and so on.  3 dips is plenty.  A short wait and you are ready to fletch.

Leave about a 1/16th of an inch overhang on each end.  I use a small pair of sharp fiskars to cut the tape.  Score one of the overhangs with your thumb nail and the tape will separate.  I have never used any glue on each end of the fletching and I have never lost a feather.  They might get beat up, but they never come off.

I couldn't imagine making this process harder by 24 hour drying times and then fooling around trying to glue on fletching, which I honestly can't do anyhow.  But to each his own.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Other than ordering from 3 Rivers, where do you get gasket laquer locally?   I've gone to several auto supply places and they don't have a clue what I'm asking for.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©