3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace height ????????  (Read 135 times)

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace height ????????
« on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
OK this may sound really dumb but it is something I have never paid much attention to. How do you measure brace height? From the string to the back of the riser or to the throat of the grip?
I am working on a new setup on a backup bow. I have always measured from the string to the back of the bow but this other bow is built different and to the back of the riser is only about 6 1/4 inches but to the throat of the grip is about 7 1/2 inches.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace height ????????
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
You must mean the belly side of the riser.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter which way you measure it, as long as you measure brace height to the same point every time. For example, the brace height of my Turkey Creek is right at 8". But unless I told you that I was measuring it at the back of the bow, you might have some trouble matching that measurement. It's only 6 3/8 to the deepest part of the grip. If I were to email Doug and ask him for the brace height range for my bow, he would tell me something like 7 3/4 - 8 1/2 inches (I don't remember exactly), but he would also mention that he measures to the back of the bow.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Basic rule of thumb is to measure a Recurve to the deepest part of the grip, and a Longbow to the belly side of the shelf.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
fyrfyter
yes I was talking about the belly of the bow sometimes it get confuzzed.
Thanks to both for the help on clarifying where I need to measure from.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©