3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Step Mishap  (Read 621 times)

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Step Mishap
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Quick story, hope this helps someone else.

Last night I was installing tree steps into a healthy 12" white pine tree and at about 10' up while screwing in another step, the step under my left foot "popped" out and fell to the ground.  Luckily I was wearing my Tree Saddle and had the lineman's belt around the tree.  My heart was pounding pretty hard and I realized that had I not had my Saddle on I could have been another statistic.  The tree step was screwed all the way in and came out "ezy".  I have never had this happen before or even heard of it happening.  Just wanted to pass on a message that it can happen and always wear your safety harness up, in and down.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Step Mishap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Thank's for sharing, I'm glad to hear you're o.k.
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! While I have never had that happen I have had 2 different ones break at the bend on me (right on the 90 degree bend)! They were both pretty old but I never leave them in the tree for long periods of time. Since the second one broke I now use an engraver and date mine after 3 years they get scrapped ans replaced.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
I never trusted softwood trees back when I was using screw-in tree steps just for that reason.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »
PInes and cedars are a no-no for me if I'm going to use screw-in steps or climbing spurs, just too soft a wood for me to climb with any level of confidence. One of my best buds lost his father 6 years ago from a fall out of a pine tree while using spurs. A little bit of preventitve measures goes a long way.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Were they the fold up kind? if so I never liked them because they don't go in the tree far enough. The other kind that is a solid piece of rod has always held up for me, I screw them in on a slight angle point down and use a homemade tool to get them in good. I mostly just use them for hand hold to get in my stands now but at one time that is all I used.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
Glad you're okay!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Life changes in a heart beat, glad you are ok.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
...  :scared:  ... Lesson Learned by all uf us!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Rapid Rails...rapid rails....rapid raillsssssssssssss

Glad you didnt get hurt. One thing to remember, if you insist on using steps, make sure to put them out of your "falling path" going back down the tree.

Why? if you fall by one of your steps you could get your rib cage or your crotch hung up on it on the way down- at 2000+ foot pounds of force heading back down the tree, you might get hung up in those steps and that could leave a mark!

Put em out to the sides if you insist on using them.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
They were the fold up kind.  I usually use strap on steps and can see climbing sticks in my future.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I don't hunt out of treestands much at all anymore. When I do I have switched to using the stick type ladders only.

Good news that you were wearing proper safty gear.

III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Screw in steps are a BAD idea, in ANY tree...Been there, done that...lived...If I can't use a climber or sticks/ladder, I ain't hunting out of a tree, period. 1 piece, 2 piece, 3 piece, they all will either break or pull out...ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN CLIMBING TO HAVE THREE POINTS OF CONTACT. Like Ray said, Screw in steps make for some nasty scars when you catch one on the way down. Be safe out there...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
I was on a hunt where I guy nearly died, they had to bring in a a medivac helicopter. He had a screw in step pull out and caught the next one in his armpit, he nearly bled to death. This was on Fed. land where screw in steps were NOT legal.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I agree with the above comments...I cannot make myself climb using treesteps anymore. I've shared this before so I won't go into detail, but I had a step break several years ago. I managed to hold onto the step above, but swung into the tree and ripped open my scrotum and pulled out my left testicle. Bad day for sure! It is either ground blinds, ladder stands or climbing sticks for me now. Anytime you get off the ground there is potential for serious injury....Take Care! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
pine trees are a definate no no with steps I dont even like putting a climber on them . glad your not hurt thank God for that saftey harness .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Mike, you made me scrunch up!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I agree with Ray, "Rapid Rails". I will not use screw in steps ever again after having one pull out and the resulting fall causing me to catch my armpit on another step. I have a 7" scar where my surgeon said she "reattached" my arm.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
I use screw in tree steps in aspen and pine never had a problem I weigh over 200lbs and yes I wear a saftey belt when installing steps and stands ps I have 12 stand sites and the only rule I use is lots of steps so you are not reaching far especilly right at the stand make sure you run steps higher than the platform of stand so you are stepping down to you stand not up s most accidents happem getting into and out of stands also clean any debri from base of tree if you happen to fall and dont break your neck falling on logs or branches is worse good luck and wear a saftey belt
Gord

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Rick,was that Roger Walker, about 20 years ago on Blackbeard ?
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©