3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: should I buy a Lighter weight bow or keep the one i got?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
should I buy a Lighter weight bow or keep the one i got?
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
I have a bears paw 64 inch  60# @26 inches longbow. I gave up shooting it fora couple years because i couldn't shoot it consisetnly. I killed one doe ,wounded 2 deer and missed several with it and wasn't happy with my shooting so i went back to the compound. i have the urge to get back in traditional shooting again and wonder if i should get a lighter weight bow. I borroweda 45# bow and shot it alot better but am worried that it's not enoguh poundage at my short draw lenght. I am considering buying a striker stinger or finding a cheap light poundage used bow. I have been shooting my longbow for about 2 weeks now and have been shooting good but can't shoot it very many times.

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: should I buy a Lighter weight bow or keep the one i got?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
yep, get a bow you can handle consistantly...get a cut on contact broadhead and you'll be in good shape

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
You need a lighter bow to get your form and consistancy down. Practice shooting right. Being overbowed will just make things worse and you'll be thinking about that instead of focusing on the shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
i would get a lighter bow, accuracy is everything, light weight will still take down a deer with a cut on contact broadhead.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
"should I buy a Lighter weight bow or keep the one i got?"

YES lol get a lighter bow AND keep the one ya got.After ya learn good form with the lighter bow your strength will be up too so you,ll be able to shoot the heavier one better because of the lighter one.

The lighter one will also kill a deer just as dead,shot placement wins over more draw wieght
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
hey bro if you shoot a#45 real good stick with it no point having a bow that you cant shoot. i use a #45 bow for deer . and the arrows go right in one side and out the other no problem.i use fred bear heads soinc heads thunder heads ribtec heads and a few others all work real good. good luck on that . as one of the guys on here says aim small miss small  :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Another idea is to see if the bow you have can have some weight taken off by the bowyer.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Trade it for a 10 or 15lb lighter bow.It will be the best decision you will ever make in regards to shooting well.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Get yourself a lighter weight bow. You'll able to shoot it better and enjoy it more.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
same as all above. Start low and you'll know when it's time to go up.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I think you know the answer...Just wanted to hear it from us...If the 45# bow you are now shooting is 45# @ 28", with a 26" draw you may be getting only 39# from it...Sooooo...Find yourself a production bow marked 55# @ 28" and you should be getting close to 49#-50# @ a 26" draw...

Then go hunting with confidence!!!...  :thumbsup:  ...And shoot alot without wearing yourself out...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Accuracy is more important than poundage. It's better to shoot a deer in the lungs with a 40 pound bow than to gut shoot one with a 60 pound bow.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
"A man's gotta to know his limitations"...Dirty Harry

Sounds like you are that type of man because you asked instead of just being over bowed.  I went thru the same thing awhile back and bought a lighter bow that I can shoot more and am more accurate with it.  Form is everything!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Yup, get the lighter bow and don't bother going back up. I started out with heavy weights(70-80#s) than settled on 60-65#s for about 6 years, now I am shooting 50-55#s and it will kill anything in North America with 10 gpp. and a sharp broadhead(Snuffer for me). I went lighter due to poor shoulders not so much an accuracy issue. Shawn
Shawn

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
 Accuracy is more important than poundage. It's better to shoot a deer in the lungs with a 40 pound bow than to gut shoot one with a 60 pound bow
Spikemaster nailed it - Accuracy is key.  40# is more than adequate to shoot through 10-12" of deer.  Shoot the bow that you are most accurate with and don't worry about the "he-man" image of shooting a heavier bow.  Simply match your arrow to the bow.  An arrow of medium weight (`10 gpp, or 400 grains at 40#) and a very sharp BH will get the job done.  Accuracy and tuning of the equipment is way more important than raw poundage.    30 years ago or so bows in the 40-50 pound range were most prevalent because they were what the average person could handle and effectively bring down the most sought after game animal - the whitetail. Add to this equation more efficient bow designs, more efficient string materials, and more efficient arrow materials from our current age and you'll have even less to worry about.  Bottom line is the accuracy of your equipment and the best possible tuning is the most important factor in success.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
When you're worried,
When you're low,
There is no doubt,
Go buy a bow!

When you're tired,
When you're sore,
The place to go
Is an archery store.

Whether you're glad
Or whether you're sad
Gettin' a bow
Just ain't half bad.

If you've got just one,
Then you need more
So get on down
To the archery store.

If you've got ten,
On the wall of your den
You'll still buy more
It's a matter of when

Why ask us
What you should do?
You should have known
What we'd tell you...

Dick in Settle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
How long did it take you to come up with that Dick? LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
maybe five to ten minutes...  30 odd years in comedy, folk singing and storytelling has to give you something...  :^)

Dick
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
dick in seattle,lol

I don't have the bow I borrowed anymore. i only had it a month or so just to see if the lighter weight would make a difference and it did. the was 48# at 28  so i guessed 45 at my draw lenght . will probabally buy a used one and if I do enjoy shooting the lighter weight more buy a new one next year.

I have plans of going to striker bows and shooting alot of there bows if i can find the time to make the trip.

I will be attending the west virginia traditionial expo at the end of this month and plan on shooting alot of different bows.

The reason i went with 60 on the first bow was I still hunt alot and alot of my shots have been at 30 yards. I had hoped with enough practice i would be cofident at 30 but i never did make it past 15. I had to let a huge drop tine non typical with sticker points go because the shot was 30 yards and i new that  my arrow could go anywhere so i didn't shoot. I have no idea what he would have scored but he had 4 drop tines and sticker points gowing off of one of those. I'm not a trrohy hunter but i relive the experince over and over again in nightmares.lol

I have way to much fun shooting traditional so if even with the lighter weight i never make it past 15 i,m sticking with it.

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Yep, get something you enjoy shooting. I took my deer this year using my 40#@28" J D Berry longbow. It was my third deer I have taken using this bow. Just like everyone said its hitting the spot that matters, not the poundage, or the speed. It is possible to reduce the poundage on your 60# Bear but taken 15# off it may not be possible. Depends a lot on how wide the limbs are.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©