3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground pounders  (Read 564 times)

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground pounders
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Who all on here hunts exclusively from the ground? I started hunting with a longbow last season and I do it exclusively from the ground. I will say that I started hunting a different area last season that I'm trying to learn and EHD hit it hard last year, but my confidence on hunting from the ground is down right now. I try to watch my scent and the wind as I did when I used a compound hunting from a treestand with success, but my deer sightings with the longbow and ground hunting have come to an end. What do you folks that have had success from the ground do that might help me build some confidence.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground pounders
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Me.

Walk slowly. Always play the wind. Hunt pigs or goats to build-up confidence.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't think I'll be setting up my ladder stand this year. Didn't use it at all this year. So far I've stayed on the ground. Jawge

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Location. Location. Location.

Movement is even more critical on the ground.

When you think you can't go any slower, slow down.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Besides the great suggestions above. I have few.  Good Binos are key.  Always glass 360 degrees before walking. You must see the animals before they see you. Look for ears, tails, horns, antler tips.  Don't skyline yourself.  Watch your shadow when its late or early. Try not to stand in the open too much.  Use objects to break up your outline. Know the lay of the land like the back of your hand.  Try not to rush the stalk.  
It may sound silly but when stalking any animal stalk them like your life depends on it!  If they see you they wont run they will kill you!
Ryan

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Ground for me too - unless something startles me, in which case I'll be in the air for a bit and then back down to the ground.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
This is all good advice,but always make sure the wind is blowing in your face,or at the very least a cross wind.Have a seat that is comfortable for you to remain as still as possible for as long as you can,and try to use natures landscape to break up your outline.
  Fred Asbell has a good book out on hunting from the ground.
                  Good luck and Good Shooting,
                                        Craig

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
It's all Blacktails and Muledeer out here, different species, but the first thing I look for is fresh sign. If deer aren't currently using the area...

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
All Good advice. Let me add, that if making a blind, make it from the materials in the area you plan to hunt, it doesnt take much to build a good blind with little materials. Also like they said, Wind Wind Wind. I use ATAT camo and they seem to look right through me. Hunt funnel's, areas that force them to move in a confined area. Think "Slow"... move like the setting sun. Hunt where they are and hunt often if you can. Good luck and happy hunting.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Gave up the compound and treestand in '95. That was the last time I shot a buck. Since staying on the ground, I've become much more picky in what I want to take.(I always seem to get my doe during the flintlock season.) I use a Badlands backpack with an All-terrain seat and leafy ASAT suit in it, plus all my other junk.  Also, get a pair of kneepads from Lowe's or HD- When glassing, if I see one, the first thing I do is drop to my knees to get rid of my profile. It's nice not worrying about cracking a knee into a rock, or kneeling on a stick or in wet ground. Buy the best binocs you can afford- NO SUBCOMPACTS!!-you'll be looking thru them for hours in a day of still hunting if you're doing it right. Cheap binocs will stress your eyes & give you headaches. If you fly fish, or know someone who does, get some antron yarn & tie a piece on each end of your bow. It catches the faintest breeze & lets you know where the wind is going. Now, remember-no buck in 13 years, so maybe this is the WRONG way to do it!!!  :biglaugh:

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
I go that route too and at first out of necessity but now have no desire to sit in a tree. Got my first deer on my first year hunting and on the ground so I must be doing something right or just lucky. Just to give you some encouragement as if I can do it so can you or anybody. I just move like deer do if you catch my draft.    :saywhat:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
I use ATAT camo and they seem to look right through me. [/QB]
Used both ASAT and Sitka on my Elk Hunt with same results.

All ground for me too.
------------------
Trad Rag | com | Giveaways
Stick & String or Cap & Ball
Longbow: ACS-CX 58#@28. Arrow: GT5575 Traditional, 100gr. Brass insert, 125 gr. Magnus 2-blade: 530 gr. total.

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 04:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 04:54:00 AM »
the wind and make blinds out of natural materials.

I did  add one ladder stand this year, as a way to hunt this ridge line going into a hay / corn field. I will onlky use this blind with a west wind. I have two other ground blinds in the same area that can be used almost daily. The blinds were built using pine and maple branches.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:00 AM »
Vermonster nailed it. When you are on the ground,
you must even blink slowly.

We pay attention to the wind, find a good place to hide, and give away our location by the small movements we THINK they will not see.

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
Read Tom Brown's guid to Nature Observation and Tracking.  It helped me.  

While stalking white tails in the Mississippi bottomlands, I would just sneak very slowly, stopping offen through a good area with lots of sighn.  When I spotted a deer feeding toward me, I would just kneel down and let them come to me.  Some times they do, sometimes they meander off somewhere else.  That is what's worked for me.  I'm just not good enough to activly stalk a white tail on a calm day.

ch

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Clay is right on in that the deer will come to you to get a closer look and those are the ones that get in the freezer. That is what happened to me last year with the doe I harvested. She saw me all the way and stomped and snorted but still came ever closer for a look see and then she turned sidways at 20yars and the rest you all know.   :saywhat:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I leave the binocs at home.. If its warm.. ASAT Leafy.. if its cool ghillie suit... Even blinking slowly is the key...

The wind is most important, other than that when I find a area with lots of sign, I look for:

1.)I seek out a big tree to break up my silhouette
2.) a decent tree about 2-3 yds in front to give me cover to stand and draw...
3.) in the shadows helps too...
4.)A comfy chair would be nice as you move less..

I have been killing about one deer a year from the ground. Usually they are younger deer. But perfect for the almost empty freezer of the hot early bow season here in GA. The wiser larger deer make less mistakes and catch you faster than the 4.5+y.o. deer I have had some decent deer in range, but to be honest... I think my setting up in travel corridors in between permanent stands that get hammerred on my lease has a l lot to do with it...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
I like to still hunt parallel to well used deer trails. It makes it easy to play the wind hunting like this. I also move a few feet very slowly and then stop and scan the area completly before I move a few feet again. I like to spend more time when I come across a natural blind(anything that helps to break up your outline) like a blowdown or group of small Hemlocks.It usually takes me an hour or more to move about 80 - 100 yards. I see alot of deer hunting like this and usually get a few good shots every year. The reasons that I enjoy hunting on the ground so much.
 1. You see so much more sign and wildlife if you move slowly through a good area then just sitting in one spot. Every hunting trip also becomes a scouting trip.
 2. I also feel that it is more exciting to be close to the animal you hunt at eye level.
 3. I like the angle of my shot better also. You normally can get a straight through double lung shot and dont' have to worry about the angle of the shot.
 I have hunted from the ground for the past 12 seasons now and I'am hooked. Stay with it and I think that you will find it to increase your enjoyment of the total hunting experiance. Good Luck.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
Gave up trees about seven years ago. Love it. Wind, movement. Good binocs.(nut)
Rich Potter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©