3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand hunting and safety belts  (Read 893 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Treestand hunting and safety belts
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I am going to tell on my self and I do not condone my actions but I am wondering who hunts from elevated stand and does not wear a safety harness?  I hunt exclusively from a treestand and I have never worn a safety harness, I always wear one when hanging stands and generally wear one when taking down stands, but not while hunting.  

Am I the only one?

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand hunting and safety belts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
You are crazy, both of my hunting partners have fell and where saved by saftey harnes.Please where it for your family.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I wear it every time I'm up there,I fell 5' in a construction accident 16 years ago and still limp.Makes me a perfect bear huntin partner tho,eh?
 Wear it for your loved ones! Please.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Am I the only one?  
I hope so!!

Is that your daughter in your avitar?
Do you love her?
Want her to have a dad growing up or a bad,bad memory?

Blunt? Yes - but that is the reality.

Steve

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
Yeah your crazy. About 15 years ago I fell about 15ft to the ground once as I was stepping on the platform to set the stand. The stand was a homemade chain on style my cousin made many years ago. He used cheap chain and the link actually seperated and I slid down the trunk crashing to the ground. Luckily I limped away with only a badly sprained ankle. Ever since then I always wear a safety belt. I have not yet upgraded to the new vest style harness but plan to do so soon.

As Longbowben said do it for your family if not yourself.   Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
My harness saved me at the very least hurt pride Friday evening when a tree step failed.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I fell 20 years ago and broke my back and wrist. I had a full body harness on but didn't check my hook up. I didn't have the safety catch engaged on the snap, pulled loose when I put weight on it.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Get and wear a full body harness.  I use and like the SOP Fastback, but there are several other good ones.  Just make sure it picks up your weight around your legs, not thru the crotch.    :scared:  

Don't try to get by with just a belt, it will hurt/kill you just as much as the ground.    :readit:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
started hunting out of trees in '69.  I like using a belt for added stability, but never a full harness.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Ok Ok, I get the picture.  I have a loggy bayou full body harness I use when hanging stands.  I will give it a try when hunting next.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
I have a 15' stand - I always where a belt in it.

I have a  5' stand and I dont usually wear one it in. Yes I could fall and get hurt, but I probably wont.
The truth is I work almost every day on a ladder and I dont where a safety harness doing that so it seems kind of silly to get excited when Im lower than where I work and have a softer surface to land on.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I used just a regular safety belt for twenty years...finally switched to a Seat-of-the-Pants Safety harness last year...Its a little more hassle, but not as much hassle as trying to hunt out of a wheelchair...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
I use a three part belt type. Granted it is not a vest harness. This belt type (wide auto safty strap) was good enough for 20 years, it still works.

III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
In Minnesota in the colder season it gets kinda bulky with the camo, but I have on if you take and put a slit, OK OK, my wife puts a slit in the back of my outside camo coat and puts a fap on the inside so it's covered when not in use.  My HSS tether strap comes out of that slit, in that way my front buttons or zipper is not choking me.

It makes it much more comfortable when wearing the harness, and I can wear it on the inside where it is the most effective if there is a fall.  I also use a linemans belt, it is just much more secure that way, I feel my steer with a friend a mind, he hung in a tree for three hours trying to get out, the bottom of his climber fell to the bottom of the tree.  I do not do anything without my safety harness on.

WEAR IT !!!  :knothead:  

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
A belt is better than nothing, but they can hurt or kill you. I fell 3 feet while wearing a belt around my waist, the 3 foot fall broke one of my ribs. But that was better than what the 25 foot fall would have done to me, I would not be here.

Two guys have already died from tree stand falls the past week, 1 in Maryland and 1 in Grorgia. And there will be more deaths before this 2008 season is over. If a hunter doesn't wear a full body harness when hunting from a tree stand, he is just plain stupid!

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I will never hunt from a tree without one. I have nodded off too many times to take any chances  :D

I went to a full body harness with the vest setup that makes it a breeze to put on and I don't even know that it is there.

Do it for you little girl at the very least... too many people have lost their lives or have been seriously injured to take any chances.

I have a buddy that does not wear one and he looks at me like I am a pansy for wearing one... it will be a sad day at his funeral and that is one "I told you so" that I do not want to give.

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
i ust the HSS. my huntin buddy's cousin at 18 years old fell from a 15' ladder and is now a quadriplegic. If you dont want to where a harness style get a vest. there easy and simple and dont hinder movement.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline britts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
There are two types of tree stand hunters...those that have fallen, and those that will fall sometime. The new harnesses aren't a hassel...do your family a favor..get one.

Offline jcprintz

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Never leave the ground without being attached to the tree. 1 in 3 treestand hunters will fall sometime and 80% of all treestand accidents are from getting into or out of the stand. Just remember that only a very small percentage of treestand related accidents are even reported, usually only the serious ones.
TGMM,Family of the Bow

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Hunted back in the 80's without one. Young and foolish back then. Been wearing one for a long time now And I can't think of one time it has ever cost me an opportunity at a shot. I have a HSS vest now. very convenient to use. Do your family a favor and wear one.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©