3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Having a heck of a time sharpening grizzly's.  (Read 301 times)

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Having a heck of a time sharpening grizzly's.
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
I needed some new broadheads, so I jumped on the single bevel bandwagon and bought 125gr grizzlies and a single bevel broadhead pro sharpener. Ive been working on the first one for probably close to an hour of time over the last 3 days, and can't even get the edge to start to feel sharp. I know I'm using the correct side of the sharpener, and it's removing material with each stroke, but no razor edge yet. Any suggestions?  :confused:

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Having a heck of a time sharpening grizzly's.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Did you file the opposite side of the blade flat?
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
When I sharpen my El Grandes, I use a combination of a few different methods. The first thing I do is file the offside of the blade flat.

Then I set the bevel to 25* using a jig similar to the one SOS described in this thread.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=060487#000000  

Once the bevel is set I sharpen the Tanto tip on a coarse diamond hone.

Finally, I hone them to a razor's edge using my KME knife sharpener at 25*. With each stone I take 100 strokes on the bevel side of the blade, followed by 5 VERY light strokes on the off side just to remove the burr.

I spend probably 30-45 minutes per head, but when I'm done they will cut a rubber band within 1/4" of blade travel when mounted to an arrow held only by the nock. Scary sharp!  
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
When I get a new pack of grizzlies I use a belt sander to put the initial edge on them.  Then I moveto a stone.  you've got to take off a lot of metal at first.  A good bastard file works well also.

ch

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Longrifleman, I've got the double bevel broadhead pro and have been taking my wensel woodsman down from 30* to 20* bevel with it.  It definitely takes some time, I swore I must have been doing something wrong and even corresponded with Ed at ABS a few times to be sure I wasn't, but I just kept at it.

Takes lots of time to set the initial edge, and I think the rockwell hardness on the grizzly is higher than the WW, so keep at it.  As long as you are removing metal, you're making progress.  When you get close, lighten up your strokes.

Good luck   :)
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Getting the initial bevel ground is tough, you have to take a LOT of material off. I've had good success mounting a bastard file in my work bench so the file is flush with the table's surface and using the ferrule as a guide for the bevel angle when working against the file. I got this idea from a post on the *********** where the steps are explained in detail:    Hand Sharpening Grizzlys - EZ   The only thing I do different is use the table surface as a guide so the no material is removed from the ferrule. You could use anything the same thickness as your file as a guide. Once the initial bevel is ground sharpening is pretty easy.

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
If you use a file, make sure you match the 25* bevel that your sharpener is.  I tried to use a 1" table top belt sander to speed things up, but I couldn't adjust the platen to the proper angle  :(

As long as you are removing metal, you will get there with the sharpener.  It's carbide blades are much harder than the broadhead steel.
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Call Ron @ KME sharpeners...he'll be a huge help.

Good luck!

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I looked into the KME sharpeners.  Emailed them as well.  The only thing I don't like about them is the inability to adjust the bevel to match what you have.

Otherwise, I'd buy one.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I spent a couple of seasons fighting Grizzlies!
Consider yourself lucky that you got the 125 gn and not the 160 gn-those are really tough!
Post them in the classifieds and get most of your money back, before you bother trying to sharpen the rest, then order some STOS; but watch your fingers-STOS are really sharp out of the package!

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rangeball:
I looked into the KME sharpeners.  Emailed them as well.  The only thing I don't like about them is the inability to adjust the bevel to match what you have.

Otherwise, I'd buy one.
That's why I use the knife sharpener on my El Grandes.

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Thanx for the tips, all-I'll keep working at it.

I had been using Magnus II's and the double bevel broadhead pro with good results, but since my son started bowhunting, I gave those to him & figured I'd give something new a whirl...

Bjorn, your answer is definitely the funniest!!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Here is another way, that has been working quite well for me, even on double bevel heads like the No Mercy.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=062836

ChuckC

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 04:40:00 AM »
Gee, I can sharpen an 190 grizz to hair popping sharp with a file in about 7 to 10 minutes for a brand new head, if it is one I sharpened before I can restore the blade edge in just a few strokes.

No brag, just fact, I guess I hold my mouth right,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
The easiest way to set the bevel on a Grizzly is with a good file. The new Grizzlys come out of the bag with a bevel set close to 30degrees. You can keep that same angle and get a sharp working edge very fast, or you can remove a bit more metal and lay the bevel down to the ferrule around 25degrees which will reveal a super sharp edge. The $55 Ashby recommended Nicholson file is outstanding, but you can also get great results from the $8.00 Nicholson double cut mill bastard Handyfile.

Using the same set of files from the tutorial, at the link above, I timed sharpening one set of new Grizzlys keeping the factory 30degree angle. I also timed sharpening a second set where I changed the angle to approx 25degrees. I can comfortably sharpen around 5 Grizzlys per hour at 30degrees, and can sharpen 4 Grizzlys per hour at 25degrees. This is at smooth and steady pace. When I say sharp, I mean sharp!!

I would not recommend setting the bevel on the Grizzly with a knife sharpening jig. I have a KME knife sharpener which is outstanding, but such jigs work the stone in an arc whereas the edge of the Grizzly is long and straight. The wide bevel of the long straight edge does not mesh well with the sweeping arc.

No matter how wavy the factory ground bevel leaves the manufacturer, a good hand file will cut a perfectly uniform bevel to the edge from heel to tip in a matter of minutes. Beyond that point, it is up to the skill of the user as to how keen an edge one can obtain with a mill file. Properly done, one can hone an outstanding sharp edge with a good 6inch single cut mill bastard file. This will leave your edge perfectly straight without any rounding or arcing. You can also opt to hone the edge with a stone once the bevel is set with the file.

As noted above, once the bevel is set and the Grizzly is sharp, maintaining that edge becomes a simple task requiring only a few strokes. I can use the carrier and stone from my KME knife sharpener to dress up the final edge, but I do this free hand. The wide Grizzly bevel makes it easy to hold the correct angle.

I've hand sharpened Grizzlys for over a decade and have found that most who run into trouble cannot hand hold a consistent angle and/or are using the wrong file. Many will attempt to set the bevel with a 6 or 8inch single cut honing file which is a bad choice. Others forget to card and chalk their files and get frustrated when the file skips because they are gauled with metal filings. Most round the edge and play a game of chasing their tail. I've kept the same cheap Handyfile I tested running on over two dozen Grizzlys and it continues to cut like new. The Ashby file last longer. The 8inch and 6inch single cut mill bastard files will last equally long when properly used during the correct stage of the sharpening process. Think of the progression in courseness of files used on the Grizzly no different than the progression in courseness of stones used for sharpening. You need to learn when to use which file. Also, a blind man with all thumbs could hold a consistent angle using a bench technique like the one described in the tutorial. You can feel the angle as well as see the angle throughout the entire stroke. Bottom line, it is a straight edge with a single bevel. You cannot get any more basic than this. The only difficulty is with the harder steel when compared to other soft production broadheads. It is not rocket science.

Good Luck,
Daddy Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©