3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm sick of blunt heads..  (Read 320 times)

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm sick of blunt heads..
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Alot of my shots are at squirrels while they're in trees. No way I'm going to shoot broad heads up in the air! Hex blunts and nutters work well for me !

Offline JDP12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
ok i think I'll go with hex blunts to start-then if i'm not gettin good results with those i'll switch to some cheap broadheads.  

I think i'll put some grasshoppers behind the hex's as well
-JDP-

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
iv had good experience with hex blunts and judos, hex blunts are better imo mostly just use broadheads snuffers work well don't disappear under the grass like the 2 blades

i wouldn't worry with the grasshopper behind the hex.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Best heads for small game are steel blunt tips with bleeders glued into the tip. Perfect amount of shock and cutting. Next best is broadheads - using seconds is smart. On our clubs we do not even allow (blunts) or (judos) for small game - both are not dependable - not in any way. I am amazed at how many folks will recommend these. Blunts and judos cripple more game than they take - using them is a short cut -------- Do your self a favor - make up a dozen or two arrows - tipped with the small game heads popularized by Dean Torges - match the head weight to your Broadheads, Judos for roving, and your target heads - you will be very pleased with the results. Judos & Blunts are designed to do exactly the opposite of what you want with a hit at game - these heads buffer the impact - that is why they are great for roving. <>< <--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Red_Devil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
This is getting really confusing with everyone reccomending something different based on what they like. Obviously there is no one miracle small game head. Jake I say make up a few arrows with blunts and a few with broadheads and shoot w/e the situation calls for. Then again, thats just my opinion, I'm sure everyhting that has been said will work fine, its just a matter of personal preference.
-Dave Moldenhauer-
Menomonee Falls, WI

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Cory....I've killed lots of rabbits and never lost one with an HTM blunt....over top of a steel blunt.  They don't move.  You still have to hit them, or at least should, in the chest or head to keep them where they stood.  Rabbits will run after being shot through with a broadhead.

I make my own squirrel heads from an old Bodkin head with the tip cut down and blunted.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
I really like the G5 small game head.  They last a long time and stay sharp.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
For rabbits and grouse I have found just a standard field tip works great. It won't kill them instantly but the arrow stays in them and they can't get away as the arrow hangs up on brush. I have shot grouse with broadheads right through the center of the chest and they always get away. Blunts work well also but I hit a grouse in the head once and he flew into the air and did a couple of circles and fell to the ground. I then went after his friends and when I went back he was up walking around I tried another shot but only ruffled feathers and then he flew away.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Sounds like some of you guys live near a nuclear power plant or something. I've shot a ton of Jacks and numerous squirrels and a few coons with Hex heads and Judos and none have made it further than a few yards further from where they were hit.

I've also thought Hex heads do about as much damage on a rabbit or squirrel as a 22 hollow point or a 38 special, on squirrels they don't leave much left to eat.

Nothing is going to drop small game that is shot in the ass or gut, ya guys got to hit them in the head or chest. Aim small, miss small.

My favorite small game heads are(and in this order}Hex, modified broadheads, judo's.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm with MR. Tell as in the G5 SGH (small game head)
I dont like to use BH in trees as they get stuck but I have killed Bunny's with Bambi's broadhead. MIKE
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Dang it quoted the wrong person and had to delete it...
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
I don't think he's talking about the rubber blunt. He means the steel blunt that has a steel claw attatched to it. The used to be called 'Tiger Claws.' I watched Tred shoot a Jack Rabbit on one of his shows with it and that thing tore a hole so big in that rabbit you could see right threw it from where Tred was standing. The rabbit kicked a couple of time and was flat dead. Its one mean looking blunt and I've been thinking of trying it myself. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
I have yet to loose any game I have hit with a Hex. I have failed to recover all of the game I have missed with a Hex.

Like I mentioned in my other post, I keep a good edge on my Hex-heads. Just like a broadhead, nothing makes up for a bad shot, but a sharp edge will put a marginal shot in your favor. The Hex alone will do the job, I put the gobbler stopper (or whatever the namebrand is now) behind the head to make finding the arrow in the grass easier and faster.

Here is a picture of my set-up:

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
I put a Judo through the head of a rabbit last season try those.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 03:43:00 AM »
my friend shot a Guinefowl from about 8meters with a G5 small game head he was shooting a 60lb silvertip and it bounced off    :eek:    :mad:  we thru them away
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
Blunts and Hex heads work good if the small game your after is hit in the vitals, normally this will be from the diaphragm up   :thumbsup:  

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©