3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help on fletching glues  (Read 173 times)

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help on fletching glues
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for softening Fletch-Tite and Fast Fletch. My plastic containers have hardened and are solid. I tried using hot water and soaking them in boiling water and have had no success. I think that they must have been exposed to air or something. I am now keeping them in a sealed plastic bag. These were not cheap and I would like to salvage them if possible. Thanks for your suggestions.
Tom

Offline Flt Rck Shtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help on fletching glues
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
The very best thing you can do with your Fletch-Tite and other glues is throw them in the trash and get you some Bohning Fletch Tape. Greatest stuff ever invented. I was sceptical at first, until I tried it. No more waiting for glue to dry! Once you get good at it you can fletch a dozen shafts in 15 to 20 minutes. I have shot arrows under grass and through brush and everything possible and never had a feather torn off, even got them totally soaked with water and they won't come off. This may not help you with your hardened glue, but merely a suggestion that worked for me.
              Thanks,
                     James
Chinese Proverb: Never remove a fly from a friends forehead with a hatchet...

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
Once those are solid, they're done with.
Have you considered Duco? Inexpensive at Walmart and it works great.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
THanks guys. I also use the Fletching Tape and Duco on Wood arrows but I used the other instant glue for putting on inserts on carbon arrows and for for the occasional feather that needs to be replaced.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Only thing I've ever fletched have been carbons.

But from Blazers to feather I only use SuperGlue Gel.

I'll never go back to tape or any "fletching" glue.

I've NEVER had anything come off using the SuperGlue Gel. Not as fast setting as the tape...but count to ten and she's on there for good.

Like Flt Rck Shtr, I know that doesn't help with your current dried out glue, but you may want to give it a try.
Micah 6:8

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Thanks Soilarch. I use the Gorrilla Glue Impact super glue gel for inserts have not tried it for flecthing yet but I will give it a try thanks,
Tom

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
I've been using superglues for other repairs for nigh on 20 yrs. Once you clean off the end and recap any of these glues, toss them in a zip lock baggie, squeeze ot any excess air, and throw them in the freezer until the next time you need them. They'll last indefinitely.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Red_Devil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
get the fletch tape, it works amazing. I know lots of people who use it and we rarely have problems with it. Plus, its so easy to use its almost funny.
-Dave Moldenhauer-
Menomonee Falls, WI

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Hey guys, been awhile since i was on last but i tell you dont throw away you dried up fretch tite. Get a can of MEK at your local home cheapo or the like and add a couple of drops to your bohning products they'll be good as new. Its found in the isle with the paint thinners.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I have used flecth-lac thinner on Fletch-tite glue to loosen it up. If it is rock solid it is trash. I buy my fletch-tite by the 1/2 pint and if I know I will not be using it out of the small bottle I try and remember to pour it back in can.
I will have to try the MEK sometime but I am stubborn when it comes to mixing unlike products.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©