3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Spine Recomendation?  (Read 310 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Spine Recomendation?
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Ok, here are the specs. Carbon limbed high performance bow. 60 pounds at 29 inches of draw. BOP measurement of 29 5/8, center cut bow, shooting 145 grain heads or maybe 125, of course high performance string. Will a 23/64 shaft make a diffrence as comapered to a 11/32 here? They will be tapered on the nock end as well.I am thinking 75 pound spine!!! I was wondering if I should go 70-74 or 75-79? Thanks for replies. Flint  :)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Spine Recomendation?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
75-79 and don't be surprised if you need 80-85 for that bow or even stiffer.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Wow, Flint, you've gone up in bow weight.  How far are you drawing it?  Too stiff is easier to work with than too soft; you can always leave the arrow a bit long to compensate for a stiff shaft.  Chances are you won't find a 75+ spine in 11/32 and the difference in shooting is virtually unnoticeable.  You're only talking about .008" further out from center.  I may have some shafts you can experiment with.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Sid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
I have just returned to wood shafts after two years of playing with high FOC carbons and really please to be shooting woods.

My own bow is a high performance carbon limb'd three piece recurve 60" 63lbs at my 28.5" spine needed with 125 heads cut 28.75" are 90 to 95. They will carry 160 but show slightly week in the target fletched.

80 to 85 are weak but i can get field points to group but I have trouble getting Bheads to hold a line.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
I really think you need arrows that are closer to 85-89 spine. The 75-79 might be ok if you use a 125 grain point. Stiffer is going to be better for you. Your bow is just too high performance and your arrow length a little too long for a low spined shaft.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Agree that most likley you'll need at least 80-84# spine, maybe more/maybe less depending upon shooting characteristics of both the archer and bow.

My rule of thumb for high performance bows was always add at least 10# spine right off the bat, then another 10 for the extra arrow length so that puts it right at 80#.

Best way to find out is fletch up some different sizes and shoot them with broadheads. If they fly well with broadheads , field points will surely work.

If you can find 11/32" sao much the better as quality of shaft will be superior. Most likely though these days you'll have to go to 23/64".
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I am shooting 70-75 and more, drawing about 48# with my ACS CX. You will need lots for that set up. Don't worry if the shafts are 11/32 or 23/64. And yes have them nock tapered-they recover sooner and fly better.
You can build out your side plate too if you don't have enough spine. I did that with an identical ACS bow which is a few pounds heavier so I got them both bare shafting the same shafts.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
I would say 80-85 if ya go with the 145 grain head and if ya make them 30" to BOP than definitely. Kelly knows his stuff! Shawn
Shawn

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Looks like  I will go with the 85-89 spine. Here's another question what about going to a 160 head will that bump it up to a 90-94 spine? Super clean release as well from the archer. The bow is just cut to center as well not past center. Thanks Flint

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
You will have to do some final tuning, it is not possible to know everything W/O some trial and error. If in doubt get a couple of shafts of each spine. You can alter spine requirements a bit too by playing with brace height, and changing strings-skinny D97 compared to a fatter one or even B50. And of course by playing with the side plate. With woodies it is art, not science!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
You can get some high spine testing cheap by using ramin dowels. They spine around 80/85 and vary +/- 10#. You can buy a dozen for under $10 and experiment with them. Note, not all dowels are ramin, don't get poplar or oak by mistake.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
!60 grain head may effect the spine but really you are in the ballpark and final testing needs to be done by the archer. I know it is difficult when building arrows for someone else to get it right the first time. The main thing I always made sure of were the archers specs and how accurate they were. Over the years had lots of archers think/swear their draw was much longer than it actually was while shooting.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I agree the 85/89 spine should put right in the right place.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Agree whith Shawn. Listen to Kelly and aromakr.  They know   :)   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Users currently browsing this topic: