3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why should I join the PBS?  (Read 685 times)

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
Why should I join the PBS?
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
People often ask why they should join the Professional Bowhunters Society (PBS).  I just received the latest quarterly magazine that is published for members only.  In the magazine you will find the following articles:  Ramblin Rednecks humor featuring Barry Wensel ramblin' about "eating out".  "Southern Whitetails" by Biggie Hoffman.  Questions and answers regarding hunting trophy whitetails with Roger Rothhaar.  "My Most Memorable Bucks" by M. R. James.  "Warthogs" by Gene Wensel.  "Life Goes On" by Barry Wensel describing a black bear hunt using one of Paul Schafer's personal recurve bows.  "Buying the Farm" by Glenn St. Charles.  These stories are exclusive to the PBS magazine and members.  You won't find the articles anywhere else.  No authors are paid for their contributions...they do so because they believe in the PBS and want to support the organization. Don't ask me to copy and post them...it violates the PBS copyright rules.  If you want to read these articles and others then you need to join the PBS.  Hope to see you soon.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why should I join the PBS?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
is it a trad only organization? If not then I personally don't see me joining
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Nighthawk.  The PBS does not discriminate against compound users...but, when you find a group that cares so deeply about bowhunting, you find the vast , vast majority are stickbow shooters.  Seems that way at most local archery clubs; the guys that run things and are always volunteering are shooting the stickbows.

I just got my magazine yesterday and I was thinking the same thing.  Where can you get SO much for so little!

Edited for HORRIBLE spelling and grammar!  I have to learn to proof read before hitting the enter button...

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
I like the PBS because they do include those who shoot the wheelie majigs.

As far as equipment, my opinion is that most if not all bowhunters who embrace traditional ethics and hunting values eventually migrate to the simple stick and string. Some do it more quickly than others. It took me longer than most.

Let me explain:
I began bowhunting in 1986 with a boat anchor that happened to have wheels. My best friend and his family introduced me to it.

After the first year I was hooked. That first year I noticed several things. First, I liked to shoot, I shot leaves, spots on stumps, blades of grass, at an odd color. I shot all those things that first year, and continued to do it before I knew it was called stump shooting. I was and still am accused of carrying more judos than broadheads, when I hunt.

Those good friends are still friends, but we've gone down two different paths, they no longer hunt with their bows, and their hunting values are not the same as mine. As I was working my way through the thicket of hunting ethics and values, I spent some serious time evaluating my actions and measuring them agains what I saw from others, this in part created who I am today. The larger part of that process was influenced by a good friend and mentor who ultimately untroduced me to the PBS.

After 16+ years, I finally picked up my first recurve and felt that I'de come home. It was to a place I'de always been, but never sat to enjoy it. Now I'm more comfortable hunting folaige, fin, feather, and fur with my longbow, than any other equipment.

IMO - the whole traditional/professional thing is more a state of mind. The PBS has struggeled with carrying the professional mantra. I thought (and I'm sure others have perscieved) it (the PBS) was a group of snooty people with lots of money which allowed them to hunt professionaly.

The truth of it is that they are a group with traditional hunting values who have committed to hold one another to the highest standards. As a person enters the PBS they join of their own accord, they accept its standards and live by them. After being an associate member a person can (after they meet the requirements) apply to join the regular ranks. This includes some serious introspection, self evaluation and honesty, as well as having someone "sponsor" you based upon their knowledge and experience of your ethics and values (those may not be the right words). A person of "regular" status is expected to give back to the bowhunting community.

I'm proud to be a member of PBS, and encourage those I know who have the same values to join. It's not for every one but if it is for you then...  

Welcome.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Richard, that should go in one of the PBS advertisements in "other" magazines.  Well said!

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Yep, good post Rich (and JohnV and Steve O)!

Still waiting on my next magazine.

Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »
I joined earlier this year and am glad I did. The PBS is in my opinion a great promoter of fair chase, ethical bowhunting. I can't wait to go to the Nashville banquet in 2010 to hopefully meet some of the legends that I have so long admired who are a part of this organization. Just a quick look at the "who's who" that are members of this great organization should be enough to tell anyone that it is a great group to be a part of.

Great magazine as well!
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
JohnV....not to take this off topic, but Glenn has that story in his "Bows Of The Little Delta."
If you like that article,  you'll love the whole book.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Well put Rich.
Just because you carry a stick bow' that alone does not make you PBS material, nor does a wheeled bow disqualify you. The PBS is about "proffesional" attitude, behavior and traditional values. As you get to know these people you can clearly see that those ideals are put into practice.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Not to start a fight or anything but the reason for not joining is the fact that those of us who do not shoot at least 50 pounds of draw weight are eliminated from joining. Please don't start on the 50 pounds is needed to make a clean kill and more is better. Shooting less than 50 pounds does not make a person less of a bowhunter. I am just answering the question of "Why should I join the PBS?" I belive I read the requirements for qualifying for membership correctly. If I am mistaken then I offer up my appology.

I've no doubt that the membership of the PBS includes some of the finest indiviuals in archery both past and present and am in no way trying to slight anyone. I am also aware that the PBS does great work in promoting not just the hunting aspect of archery but the traditional values and honorable behavior that we all should try to put forth in our daily lives.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
NightHawk, When I met JohnV I was a compound shooter.  He introduced me to the PBS.  I found a great bunch of people with a passion for hunting that matched my own.  The challenge of traditional bowhunting was a welcomed progression. I have seen many friends put down their compounds to have more fun with traditional gear.  It's nice to know if that I ever need to return to a compound for health reasons my PBS brothers will not turn their back on me.  I worked hard to become a full member of the PBS.  It's a accomplishment that has ment much to me.  Ethical bowhunters have a home in the PBS.  It's not equipment the it is the bowhunter.  Jeff Harper
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
NOT TRUE, ANYONE CAN JOIN as an ASSOCIATE member, in fact everyone that joins has to start out as an associate! Lots of people like to make a big deal about the qualifications for becoming a REGULAR member, but thats, because they don't know what is involved in getting qualified. Lots of members stay associates forever, no reason not to really, unless you want to pay higher dues and vote. The reason the founding members of PBS chose to include the 50# rule was to keep PBS from becoming just another target archery club AND, because PBS regular members are expected to go above and beyond what the minimums are and many states had the 45# law.
I can't speak for anyone else on the reasons PBS didn't vote to become trad only, but personally I had a problem with telling members who had been there longer than me(23 years)that they were no longer welcome because they shoot compounds, such as M.R. James and I have never seen any evidence that professionalism and ethics are linked to any particular type of bow, gun etc..

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
I doubt that I will ever become a "Qualified" Member. Because, I have no desire to kill the list of animals required for qualification. BUT, THAT'S OKAY WITH ME. I enjoy being part of this fine organization and knowing that what I contribute supports the future of bowhunting. That's the bottom line, at least for me.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
The dreaded "kill list" is there only to provide the council with evidence that you are an EXPERIENCED bowhunter.
It is only a very small part of the Regular Member application and those kills, along with the stories on HOW you did it are sometimes the only way council has to get to know you.

When I was on council, we had to convince Glen St Charles to apply for Regular Membership. He was happy to stay an Associate forever!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Been hunting with bow an arrow since I was 12, and the only thing I've killed were rabbit and ground hogs; they on the list?  :readit:    :D

I became an associate member last year and enjoy reading the PBS magazine and look forward to attending the 2010 meeting.  I was hoping to attend this years but sorry to say I couldn't do it financially and with work.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks, Biggie.. That's good to know.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
The last TWO magazines have been especially above and beyond their usual high quality.  A very good publication from a very good organization.

A very fraternal organization that's not afraid to take a traditional-valued stand on controversial issues.  That's exactly what I want!
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Scott Gray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Rick, thanks for clearing that up for me.  :thumbsup:  I figured that if I had the wrong info that someone would point it out.
BlackCreek Banshee 42 lbs@28

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
PBS is a great organization. Worth understanding what Rick and Biggie say on these particular issues - lots of folks like to pick organizations apart - look for excuses not to support. The kill list - 50# - are both a slam dunk if you are dedicated. And not saying if someone chooses not to harvest a lot of game - or to do it with less than 50# isn't cool - but in a "profession" - people present themselves to their peers - and as such - all the criteria presently required for "regular/qualified" membership is perfectly reasonable. And not to say being - or remaining - an "Associate" isn't cool - it IS. I even like the ASS patch a little better. Hey Ya'll - best reason to join is this - after most of a wonderful lifetime of hunting has gone by - I now look around and can tell you that ALL of my very good friends and bowhunting brothers are a direct (sometimes indirect) result of my joining the PBS many years ago. We are family - and as such - sometimes they aggravate you - so what -------- we have been blessed!!!!!! and PBS is a HUGE part of that.<>< <------------------<<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©