3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why should I join the PBS?  (Read 687 times)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why should I join the PBS?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
Why the PBS??

I emailed Biggie a month or so ago asking about the next banquet. I also asked about an article that I thought was going to be in the next issue... Two days later I had a FedEX on my porch with the current PBS magazine in it. Biggie had his secretary overnight a copy to me on his own dime. Professional in attitude... I would say so.  By the way a public thank you for that, Biggie.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Personally I see no need for the PBS myself.. I enjoy trad hunting on my own terms.  I need no kill list.  And I do not need to belong to any organization to enjoy myself..  From what I have read this organizations sounds a bit elitist to me.. Just my $.02
Damn Nice guy

Offline LJOHNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I joined this year at the Pittsburgh banquet.  I felt like family from the very begining.  I shoot compounds and recurves and hunt with both.   Attend a banquet and you will meet some of the finest folks walking on the planet, make some new friends, and become one of the family - only then can you make an informed decision about this fine organization.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
That's OK zilla.  don't join.  There's room for all of us, both in and out of any organization.  

On the other hand, many organizations... oh like PBS...  are comprised of many folks that all like to do something, the same thing, often in much the same way.  

My wife is a member or two or three (I can't keep count) quilting guilds in the area.       They get together and share their friendship and company and often form much deeper friendships... all because they joined something that interested them.  

Is she elite.    Well,   yes in her own way.  I sure can't (nor do I want to) quilt.Are you elite?  well, you come across that way in the statement above.  You got it all together yourself, and that is perfectly OK.

PBS is much the same.    These folks have a certain mind set... they enjoy doing certain things... and they enjoy sharing this time with others of like mind.   They often use their numbers and experience and standing to do things for the rest of the community.  And for the record, just look at the membership and you will see a lot of names that most every hunting archer knows.  That is in its own way kinda elite don'tcha think ?. Course, then there is members like me, who nobody knows.  Hmmm what happened to the elite part ?

As for kill lists, and pull weights etc...  well, all clubs have rules, made to mold and protect the club itself when it was created.  They wanted a certain kind of club and meant to keep that from changing, so needing these rules.  

Rules often change over time, with new blood, aging blood, even different thoughts due to different times, but in all cases, they are the clubs rules.  If they do not appeal to you, it is really very simple.... don't join.
ChuckC

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
I might have to join just to read Barry's article. I was on that trip with him and I saw a huge black as well. I'm dying to read what he wrote and if the bear is even bigger now!     :biglaugh:

Seriously, it's low money to fund a great group. The magazine alone is worth it.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Monty Browning is another obviously experienced bowhunter who has chosen to stay an associate.   The only thing a regular gets to do that an associate doesn't is vote and pay higher dues.  I doubt anyone who has actually been to a PBS gathering would describe the members as elitist, but they do tend to be bowhunters who enjoy the fraternal aspects of PBS.   I just got back from a great bowhunt with Brian Roness, who I met at the PBS Banquet.   I have made some awesome friends and bowhunting partners through PBS and that is why I will always be a member.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I hear about these "elitists" every time PBS comes up but I've yet to meet any.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
In contemplating joining most any organization, a lot of folks seem to come at it from the perspective of. "what can the organization do for me?"  IMO, that's not the right perspective.  It should be, "what can I do for the organization?"  Sure PBS is a fraternal organization, but it also exists to protect, preserve and promote ethical bowhunting.  It provides a collective voice and advocacy for bowhunters and bowhunting.  Supporting organizations like this, financially and through active participation, is just one way that we can give back to a way of life (It's more than a sport.)that many of us cherish so much.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »
Zilla, you don't have to join, that is completely up to you.  But, if you happen to be in the Nashville, TN area that last or second to last weekend of March in 2010, whenever our next banquet will be held, let me know ahead of time and I'll buy you a banquet ticket so you can come and join the fun.  You still don't have to join, but I just want you to know that you are still welcome.  Perhaps the 2012 banquet will be further west and less difficult for you to make it to.  Good luck in all of your bowhunting endeavors.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm an Associate Member and have been for a number of years. When I inquired about joining they sent me a complimentary copy of their magazine. One look at the magazine contents, quality and message portrayed and I knew I had to join.

As far as a "kill list", my understanding of the purpose of the list is to show that your true passion is bowhunting and bowhunting is not just a casual or passive engagement.

I can say I bowhunt the local deer herd and am successful, but if I hunt the local deer herd plus have traveled other places for other species it shows a certain level of dedication.

For example I can say I'm a Cubs/Sox/whatever sports team fan because I watch the games on TV and maybe go to a home game once in awhile. However, it shows a certain level of dedication if you watch the games on TV, go to a ton of home  games, and also go to several away games each season it.

It's the same with P&Y I believe.

Not to say that someone that doesn't have the financial means to travel and hunt several species doesn't have the same passion...just wouldn't be able to apply for regular membership. But would be equally accepted as an associate.

I have the passion, just haven't killed more than whitetails-yet.

I don't know if that helps or not. I just didn't want the impression to be that there's a list out there that is serving as a checklist..such as Whitetail-Check, Mule Deer-Check, Antelope-check...oooh, what's next for me to kill??

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Kevin could better say cause it's been 20 years since I applied for Regular status but it seems to me that the requirement is 8 big game kills or 5 and some small game? A very minimum number of animals if you are dedicated to the passions of bowhunting.

By the way, I only apllied for Regular status because I wanted to run for a council position.
When you are around this bucnh of guys for awhile, you are overwhelmed with the desire to SERVE PBS and bowhunting.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
The so-called "kill list" exists only so applicants for Regular membership can demonstrate experience and success as a bowhunter, part of the criteria for becoming a Regular member.  I chuckle when people imply that PBS members are elitists.  Most who make this comment have no first hand knowledge of the organization.  You don't see PBS members at the banquet wandering around with patches sewn to their shirts or vests advertising what they have killed nor do you hear them bragging about their exploits.  PBS members are elitists only to the extent that they take bowhunting and the PBS seriously.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Most of you will agree that the general population here on Trad Gang are "good people".  Some folks come and go while others take the time to post, chat and help out other bowhunters. Most of us here at Trad Gang have made life long friends from this site. Friends that came about through the common bond of archery!  

Like many of you I enjoy pulling up the forums, the classifieds ads and the archives. It's my little escape each day or night from the real world where I can go to talk hunting, equipment and philosophies.  Folks just like me who eat, sleep and breath this stuff.

The PBS is very much the same. It's a group of like minded individuals who are all walking in the same direction.  We help each other along the way, offer advise and hopefully work together to benefit our lifestyle of hunting.  Let's not read into any further than that.  

As far as elitists go, I'm sure there are several first time visitors to the Trad Gang forum who have pointed the "elitist" finger at some of us.  We love what we do, are confident in our equipment and at times (without realizing it of course) look at the rest of the bowhunting community through blinders. Yes...we all have acted like elitists at one time or another in our posts.  Get over it.

If any of you feel the Trad Gang is the best thing since sliced bread you should consider the PBS.  Organizations like Trad Gang and the PBS allow like minded folks the ability to come together to help others and share what we know. It's not about rules and regulations, it's about continuing the seed. Yes, there are rules and regulations in the PBS, Trad Gang and every other organization, it helps keep out the bottom feeders.

How many of you folks have learned to fletch arrows, build bows, tune bows, etc, all from this forum?  How many bowhunters have walked away from a PBS banquet with new friends and new insights? The purpose of the PBS and Trad Gang is to bring like minded folks together to enhance the overall experience. It's really that simple.

Join the PBS for same reason you visit Trad Gang...it's just a great group of folks to be associated with.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Double thumbs up!!!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Todd, hope to meet you at the UBI banquet and also a PBS banquet.  
Just for clarification purposes, there is no "kill list".  The one small portion of the Regular/Qualified application process that involves numbers of animals killed actually means and states total big game animals, not different animals.  SO, if a person doesn't have the wherewithall to travel to bowhunt, or just doesn't want to for whatever reason, is fully qualified to apply even if he/she only deer hunts in their local woodlots.  Let's be clear on that point at least.  
There are many, MANY Associate members that are way more qualified than myself to be a Reg/Qualified member, but just have not chosen to take that step for whatever reason.  We are still all PBS family and that's what counts!

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Biggie, yes, it is 8 big game animals or 5 big game and "several" small game animals.  In this day and age of burgeoning deer populations in the eastern 2/3 of this great country, I don't believe that's much of a stretch.  In the west, folks might have a more difficult time achieving the numbers but that only serves to give them even more experience and memories.  There's no deadline to meet, enjoy the journey!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
well I'm a LIFE regular member, and if they were elitists then I wouldn't have been allowed in, so that shoots your theory all to pieces, Zilla!

Give it a shot- see what you think. We as bowhunters are sort of loners anyway, and self-reliant to a degree, but I have to tell you, there's no one there- Barry or Gene, Biggie, Cory, Monty, John Rook, Glenn St Charles, no one that I met had a chip on their shoulder..well, maybe John Vargo but he doesn't count (just kiddin John)so come on and see what its all about.

If it isn't your cup of tea thats fine, but you don't know until you kick the tires.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I was an associate member back in the early-mid eighties and let my membership lapse due to more urgent distractions. I've thought of re-upping several times in the past few years and I'm going to pull up the site and do it right now before I forget about it again; our season is open and I'm easily distracted. Tim and Biggie reminded me of why I had joined in the first place and the quarterly is a super publication. Thanks guys.                          Grant
P.S. Hey Biggie, if I send you the $$ and app. right away can I get the latest issue? I was in Quebec with Barry and Curveman and I'm curious too.    GBY

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Id have to say the name is a turn off for me and the requirements and different levels of membership doesnt make it any more appealing. Im not attracted to exclusive/elite groups and right or wrong thats how these kind of clubs feel to me.

Im not all saying anything bad about PBS - Im just saying why I have no inclination to join.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Kevin,
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't read the requirements in awhile and I always thought it was different species of animals, not just total in general.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©