3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why should I join the PBS?  (Read 686 times)

Offline bc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why should I join the PBS?
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
It's been a few years, a few tears and a few deers ago; I was talking trad gear with this big guy who likes to hug -- that's another story -- and we got to talking broadheads. I mentioned I wish(ed) I had bought a bunch of Roger Rothhaar's "Snuffers" before they were bought up by, Delta  - I believe. He said, "I got sum - they're on they're way."

Pretending, I tried to politely refuse his generosity. No dice. They showed up (UPS) a couple days later...a bunch of 'em. They're prolly worth big bucks on the auction sites. I'll never know, 'cause they will be in my family forever.

Yeah, it was PBS member Biggie Hoffman, and I'd known him (over the internet) for about 15 minutes...

PBS isn't for everyone, but if you're a fair chase kind of bow hunter, be it stick or wheel bow, here's a fraternal organization that is worth supporting.

As our pop culture, (including pop hunting culture), continues to coarsen, the PBS is an Oasis, a fresh water spring, where hunting archers can drink their fill, and feel at home in the company of their peers.

Brian Cole
PBS

Offline Boweaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I've been an associate member since 1991, joining just before a group of us started New York Bowhunters. Our first meeting consisted of 17 bowhunters from across the state, most meeting for the first time in response to an article in Bowhunter Magazine with Greg Haskell, then owner of Skyline Camo. Greg mentioned that he and another bowhunter Ben Dodge were trying to form a state bowhunting organization. From that article New York Bowhunters(NYB) was born. Wrapping up that first meeting I commented that it was suprising that the majority of us were PBS members. Ben replied that it didn't surprise him a all! As others have stated, my closest friends and favorite hunting partners are NYB members and PBS members. I realize that bowhunters are a loner breed, I am myself, but I'm pround and humbled by the things that a bunch of loners together have accomplished through their state bowhunting organizations and PBS. I guess we're not content to go off into the woods by ourselves, leaving bowhuntings future to others. Every bowhunter must follow his own path, but you owe it to yourself to check out your state bowhunting organization and PBS. You might just find the life long companions you've been searching for!
Tom

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
I am a Member of the  NWTF  (Wheelin'ers)and havent Shot, Nor Even  SEEN  a Wild Turkey Yet.  :rolleyes:   Sounds Like I could Join the  PBS  Anyway, unless I read this Post Wrong.
 If its anything like the  NWTF , there are some Great Folks Involved!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 05:37:00 AM »
Dartwick, if you could look past the name, for whatever reason turns you off, and ignore the feeling that PBS is an elite group, I think you would find that PBS makes sense from a bowhunting, fraternal angle.
To put it bluntly, you couldn't be more wrong on either count.
If you'll email me your name and address, I'll pay the $30 for one years membership. You'll get 4 magazines and I'm convinced that once you see what we're all about, you'll think "man, I wish I woulda joined PBS years ago!"
If not, you're out nothing.

It's a personal challenge from me, want to accept?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Mr. Hoffman, that's quite the offer and what I think a little bit of what PBS is about.   :thumbsup:  

I've never met ya (though I think you were one of the council who reviewed my reg member application) but would like to shake your hand one day.

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I grew up in a family that wasn't really "into" hunting.  They did the Wisconsin gun deer opener and some small game hunting but that was it.  Somehow I got hooked on bowhunting, but never really had a great mentor or teacher.  Well, a few years ago I finally met some mentors, through PBS.  I decided to go to the banquet in SLC and I was hooked.  Elitist?  Some of the guys I now consider friends and mentors are willing to talk to me on the phone, respond to emails, and whatever else to help me.  These are well known BOWHUNTERS and they gave "regular" me more than just the time of day.  That is why I am a member and will continue to be.

There are some great offers from PBSers on this thread.  Someone should take these guys up on them.

Nathan

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Us elitists even let Nate eat dinner with us, lol!

Since that night in SLC every big city I get to has me searching for Brazilian steakhouses!

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
Well,

I wasn't going to name any names:~)  But, thanks Steve and others!

I can't wait for Nashville,

Nathan

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
I have considered joining PBS several times over the years, but somehow never got around to it. After reading this thread, I've decided "its time" and joined online a couple nights ago.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Well, why NOT join PBS? For years, the name itself kept me away. But I got over it and no regrets. dave

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
If you are asking "why should I join" or if you are asking "should I join, DO IT!  Join, read the magazine, get to a gathering whether it's the Banquet, the odd year gathering or just a regional gathering.

I'm way out here in the sticks, way out west.  Any more west and I'd be in the ocean.  Joining PBS was moving, it connected me to the Fraternal order of the PBS, (insert secret handshake).

But for those that are really evaluating joining.  It's worth your time and money to be a member of PBS.

Brazilian BBQ!  Was that ever Delicious.  I ate there 2 days in a row.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline Ron Foley

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I have been an associate member for going on two years.The offer from Mr Hoffman to Dartwick is typical of PBS members. All are willing to go the extra mile to help. If Dartwick were to accept this offer, I beleive his opinion of the PBS will turn very positive. A better group of people won't be found. Come join us. You won't be dissapointed

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
i joined for the shear reason of how they treated my kids at ETAR a couple years ago, with the kids events , making string holders, giving the kids arrows, and a general interest of how to get the kids involved in archery. elitists  well  maybe so, but i can tell you that probaly comes from a sense of belonging to a special assoc with special members. if careing for the future of bowhunting and the youth that it involves is elitists, than i will accept that title. Come join us and be part of our group.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Well now..after reading this entire thread and seeing Mr. Hoffmans offer to Dartwick, It has reminded me that I have wanted to join the PBS for some time now. After reading an article about the PBS and then meeting some of the fine folks at ETAR that are members I should have joined then. Shame on me for that faux pas. I intend to fix that immediately. Thanks for the reminder JohnV.
I reckon so

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©