3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver question for elk hunters  (Read 631 times)

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver question for elk hunters
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
My side quiver set up just didn't cut it for elk hunting.  I had a lot of dew laden buckbrush to go through and all my fletchings got soaked, along with everything else.  I was wondering what types of quivers you guys use.  I was thinking of something like a cat quiver with a small pack.

ch

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver question for elk hunters
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
I used a Safari Tough Arrowmaster--I couldn't have asked for anything better.  Quick and easy acess to arrows, minimal movement getting them out/putting them back, holds plenty of arrows, you can see which one you are getting out (I took a few blunts for grouse), fully protected including fletching, adjustable (didn't bother me at all wearing it with my day pack)......I was in some stuff where I managed to get my longbow snagged on weeds, but never snagged my quiver.  

I've owned/used a cq before--wouldn't trade the Arrowmaster for a dozen of them if I had to use them.

Chad

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Clay -- Why not a bow quiver? When I'm elk hunting I find it impossible not to carry a fairly large back/fanny pack weighing 25-35 pounds. That doesn't allow for a back or side quiver. In thick brush, as you note, any style quiver but a bow quiver is problems. Others get in the way when sitting, crawling, etc. I have a Shrew 4-arrow bow quiver for my little Classic Hunter, and a Thunderhorn for my 62" Lightning longbow. Both are attractive, silent, convenient, and reliable. It really doesn't take very long to adjust to shooting with a bow quiver. Good luck, dave

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
Clay, I used a skookum 2 arrow quiver that attaches to the bow in Colorado recently.  This was the first trip out with it and I am completely satisfied with the way it worked.  I carry another quiver that attaches to the side loops of my day pack that hold another 4 arrows.  I had no problem with this set up and it allows me to get to my arrows in just a second. Hope this helps.  

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
I use a side quiver.  It pretty much covers the fletch.  I've tried a bunch of different kinds of quivers and this is what I go back to every time.  Each one has its pros and cons.  I'm more comfortable with this one.

Without a pack.

With a pack.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
I use one of Jacks quivers and use the cover over the fletching. I have not had it get wet and I have even left it out hanging in the back yard once on accident and it rained and the fletching didn't get wet then. I guess it would after a few days of getting wet, then you would have to dry it out. If that happened I would use a ziplock bag over the fletches and then the fleece cover over that. When you pull them out the front the bag stays put.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I used an EFA bow quiver this year and, for stealth, I cannot imagine anything better.  But I did not have to deal with alot of moisture.  
For that, I would think the arrowmaster style would be best.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I strongly recommend the Arrowmaster from SafariTuff. Everyone who has purchased one, including me, says they love this innovative and well-made side quiver. In a bow quiver I prefer the Eagle Flight Archery (EFA) quiver with Talon grips and the jumbo head. Rod Jenkins of SafariTuff is presently selling some fleece fletch covers on the Sponsors' Classifieds that will attach to the EFA quiver and help protect the fletching from the elements. Rod also tells me he will probably be bringing out fletch covers in the Predator camo material he uses in the Arrowmaster quiver. The problem with using the EFA (or any other bow quiver) and fletch covers for the hunting you describe is that it adds a lot of projections to your bow to catch on the thick vegetation you say is causing the water problems to begin with, so I would suggest the Arrowmaster as the best solution for you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I'm with Dave, a bow quiver is the only option that works for me.  I can't imagine how you can crawl through thick stuff with a side quiver.  I tried a hip quiver once (for a very short time), it didn't cut it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Of course, we like the Quiver Caddy, with a kwikee kwiver attached to it.  Works with or without packs, feathers trail straight back, so they don't "mangle".  NO STRAPS!  I got enough of those.  And if it's too wet, I just cover the feathers with a fletch cover.  Also, the easiest on/off quiver you'll ever use.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Just got back from an elk hunt up in the Missouri Breaks this morning.  My hunting partner took SafariTuff quiver with him that he loves.  Carried it two days and couldn't deal with it with the rigors of elk hunting.  He switched to the bow quiver that he brought just in case.  Carried that the next 12 days with out issue.  I don't particularly like bow quivers myself but I use them while elk hunting because it the best quiver for the job.  Agree 100% with Dave, right on!! dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Fair weather or foul-bring it on!

And when I have to I have a bow quiver too....

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Bow Quiver     :thumbsup:  

For me, the less straps the better when using a daypack.

Deer hunting? GFA or Quiver Caddy works fine.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
Bow quiver all the way. Too much flailing around and hanging up in brush carrying a hip or over the shoulder quiver.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
I use a great northern bow quiver.  I have used a homemade plains type quiver, a hip quiver and a pack quiver but always end up going back to the bow quiver.  I now prefer the feel of shooting my Super Shrew with the quiver attached compared to shooting bare.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
After 20 years of trying everything out there,Great Northern strap on bow quiver works best for me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
Catquiver III. I literally wore one out several years ago, and got another one. I can carry plenty of 'stuff' for a day in the woods, and my arrows don't get their fletching messed up. I also like the Selway bowquivers, but personally prefer the CQIII.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
I like a bow quiver also. I use a Thunderhorn boa. I tried a over the shoulder quiver one year and I hated it. When I tried to stalk by crawling or sliding on my belly it was in my way the whole time. I can't imagine a better way to carry arrows than a bow quiver. I have it on all of the time. I live in the northwest and don't have any problems with my feathers getting wet and ruffled even in a heavy down pour.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
Another vote for the BOW quiver EFA in my case.  For years I was carying around a hip quiver or had my girlfriend cary them. But man thats clumbsy..  I dont usually shoot with a quiver and in the case of an encounter it's coming off.  Bu way less cumbersome

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
I carry at least 6 arrows elk hunting (I like small game and Turkeys)  Im switching for next year to a EFA 3 arrow and going to carry a easton arrow tub with my pack.  That way I always have a few arrows dry and ready to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©