3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rest on a Schafer ??  (Read 533 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Elevated rest on a Schafer ??
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I recently got a new to me Schafer Silvertip from a fellow tradganger. The bow has a brush rest on it. Having only shot off the shelf for some 20 years or so and being of the belief that the arrow should sit close to the hand I immediately called Dave and asked him to send me the rest material he normally puts on his bows. HOWEVER, after shooting the bow for the last two days I notice that I am getting great arrow flight off the rest, the bow is extremely quiet and my accuracy seems to have improved except that I'm hitting a tad high. I'm considering leaving on the brush rest. Anyone else shooting a Schafer with a rest? Thanks
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elevated rest on a Schafer ??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
I shoot a schafer with a bear weatherest and it works very well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
If you shoot your bow vertical or are at least consistant in your canting of the bow, there is very little downside in shooting with an elevated rest.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Lots of folks do.  Paul did as well.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Paul Shafer used an elevated rest and got great results using plastic vanes. Barry Wensel had one of Paul's old bows in Canada this past June and he had it set up like his Dye; a tough weatherest type with the bottom 1/3 or so trimmed off so it was still pretty close to the shelf and it shot great.Charlie Lamb mentioned Earl Hoyt in a post the other day and remarked that Hoyt was a fan of elevated rests and said that Hoyt thought the whole idea of the arrow being close to the hand for improved accuracy was so much "hooey." Owen Jeffery also used/uses an elevated rest and he's a deadly instinctive shot. I think bows are definately more forgiving and spine tolerant with such a setup and often a tad faster- you'll adjust very quickly if you decide to use one. And no, I don't use one myself. I've just seen them used to great effect over the years. Luck to you,        Grant

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I've always used a elavated rest on my Silvertips, most likely if your bow came with a rest it was tillered for it by Dave or Paul, they both ask before you order your bow if your going to use a rest. I have shot a rest tillered Silvertip off the shelf and didnt see much difference it shot well. its just what ever you like.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't think I'm going to be in a rush to remove the rest.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Been using the same elevated rest that PAUL used since 1984. Great arrow flight= great penetration.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
I asked Dave to make mine to be shot off the shelf. I prefer that. Boy, I love shooting my Silvertip!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Mine has a Hoyt flipper rest on it and it shoots great.  It was on there when I got it (held on with glue?!?).  I do however have a very nice feather rest by one of our own that will be gracing it soon.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Mine is setup with a Bear elevated rest and I like it.  I thought it would give me the options of using vanes or feather to see which worked better for me and right now I'm using feathers with it.  Works great for me.  I had Dave cover it with felt so it's nice and quiet when you draw an arrow across it.  Rick.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
If any of you have a pic of your rest could you post it here or email it to me, especially if its covered like Rick's.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Lots of guys use the rest; why not, Paul must have known  something.   Here is a pic of one of mine.  Dave set it up like his.  Sorry I don't have time to get a close up, but the rest has moleskin wrapped over the finger and a layer over the rest of the rest as well

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I don't have a real closeup of it handy but I'll post another picture here that shows it to some extent then email you the larger version so you can have a closer look.  Dave basically covers the rest with two pieces of felt.  One for the arm of the rest and one over the body of the rest.  I asked him to do it for me when I ordered the bow so I would have an idea.  I think it's quite ingenious and looks nice too.  Rick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©