3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Martin Bows ????????  (Read 733 times)

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Bows ????????
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
:wavey:  

:archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Bows ????????
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I've hunting with a Martin Hatfield TD (50#, 520 grain arrow)for two years now and have no complaints.It's a very smooth shooter and quiet. I've taken several hogs with it(check out the upcoming Martin 2009 catalog for a picture of me with a Fl. hog).I can't think of a con. In my experience, Martins are very well made bows.
Good luck this season.
P.S.I'll be chasing hogs and deer this weekend at Nickie Roth's place! Jim

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
There is a definate Pro.  They are super fast, stable, and by far the nicest finished and looking "Manufactured Bow" still on the Market.  The only better bow "for it's age" were the origional "Damon Howatt" bow's [which are now the Martin Line of bows such as the one you have] I still have 3 origional Howatt Hi-speeds that shoot right with the 30 or so customs on my bow rack.  Shoot it and enjoy. Keep in mind it may hit a little higher than other bows of it's type as it is usually much faster and flatter shooting than other similar stye bows of like weights.
That's my take on them.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I started with a Martin Hunter. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that bow. I've many happy memories made with that bow, and quite a few big animals hit the deck.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Love Martin's. No cons at all and as custom as a Widow.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
Have had Hunters and Hatfields some years ago (two each), both models were decent shooters and fairly fast bows but in my case they were prone to limb twist even though treated and stored carefully (used bow stringer, stored horizontal on pegs, avoided heat, etc. etc.).  "Bumping' the limb worked for awhile but eventually the twisting persisted.  The company was not at all accomodating regarding the problem, though only one of the bows was purchased new.  

That was 15-20 years ago.  A friend's neighbor recently had a new Martin X-200 recurve...a bit less expensive model than the Hunter...delam on him.  I never had that kind of issue with mine but one has to wonder about the current quality.

I don't mean to dice on Martins, when in good shape they are very good shooters.  But despite owning many other bows over the years I've never had that kind of recurring problem again.  Decent bows yes...but you might want to check your limb alignment every so often just in case.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
hawgslayer,
I have a 2007 Martin Serengeti, 50#@28. I love it, it is super fast and smooth, no stack at all.
The grip is a little "thick" but I got used to that, it is also the prettiest bow I own. I don't know why they discontined that model but I wish I had another.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Thanks gents for the info. Hope everyone has a great season and you fill all your tags with big ones.

H/S...................  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
I have had a few Martin's and Howatts I wish I had back. I had a Dreamcatcher with yew limbs that was made for me when I was in business...like to have that one again.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Awesome bows all throughout the Martin line-up.  They have always been good performers in the speed dept and well constructed.  You can order one with custom options.  They are still crafted one at a time in the old Howatt plant.  What's not to like?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm still shooting the bow my Dad gave me in 1972 at age 16, a 37 year old Howatt "Coronado", which is similar to the current Martin X200. Since then I've owned Super Diablos, Dreamcatchers, Hunters, a Hi-speed and a Mamba.
   All very good bows. You can't go wrong with 'em.  The only con I can think of right offhand is they seem to consistently understate the draw weight. A bow marked 50#s may be closer to 54#s, etc.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
Had a Serengeti too. Nice bow.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Retired my 58" Hunter 1976 model made just 5-years in that length couple of years ago when I got my Lee.Killed some deer and couple of hogs but was really ragged out so Don(bowdoc)Ward made it beautiful again saving it for one my grandkids but shoot it every now and then.Great bows and would not mine it being my go-to if needed.Kip

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Yoou won't go wrong with Martin bows. I've shot darn near every model over the years and love them. (nut)
Rich Potter

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I spent the exact same amount of money on a bear longbow and a martin longbow. The quality was notably better on the martin. Bear lured me in with the wholesome company approach but Martin wins on actual product.

Martin should work on their image. I've no problem with photos of girls from the Friday night line up at "Bada Bing's!" But when guessing who is a more serious archery company its not a vote of confidence in your company catalog while selecting a bow. Underscores the quality of their product. But I guess it gets people to click the links and that's what counts.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
Huh? Perhaps I need to check Martin's sight to see what I've been missing.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
No complaints. Surprisingly fast bow. Check the poundage of your bow. Often their bows weigh in a couple of pounds more than written. Tune the arrows to the bow not the ink on the bow.
Good luck,
Aram

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
:campfire:  

I checked my poundage while I was at the range this morning and at 28"s the draw is 53#'s. The bow is 3#'s over what's listed on the limb. I have no complaints whatsoever with the added 3#'s.
Thanks to everyone who replied and I hope you all have a great season. ( My trip is 13 days away and I hope to put deer in the freezer that I took with this HUNTER).
Thanks again for the info!!!!!!!!!  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Offline recurve1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
how does the martin hunter compare to custom bows? stability,quietness? thnks

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
:wavey:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©