3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To Unstring or not to unstring  (Read 414 times)

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
To Unstring or not to unstring
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Hello folks,

First off, for most of my life and with most equipment that I have worked with, the rule of thumb has always been that anything which is under tension, should be stored with the tension released.

Re-curve bows seem to be the exception to this rule for reasons which I do not understand. This topic has been discussed on Trag Gang before and to a man (woman) all have said that there is no need to unstring a re-curve; that it can be stored strung with absolutely no loss in power and no damage to the bow.

With my own recurve, I unstring it whenever it is not in use/being stored, even for short periods of a few days. I just have this mindset that I cannot let go of.

Could someone please explain to me why modern recurves can be stored under tension and not suffer any ill effects?

Robert

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To Unstring or not to unstring
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
I believe it is because the limbs are thinner then a longbow limbs,less chance of the limb wood to get compressed.As long as it is not stored in a high heat area.And stringing and unstringing is the time when recurves can become easliy damaged.I've heard of guys that have left their recurves strung for years and only unstring them for string changes and brace height adjustments.I believe Black Widow recommends to leave their recurves strung.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Ken Beck (black widow) recommends to leave them strung. He says that more damage can be done to a bow stringing/unstringing... He has bows that have not been unstrung for years will no effects.

Modern epoxy/glass, better construction ect... I will admit that for entire bowseasons I do not unstring my bows...

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
The string is the weakest link. The bow has a lifespan - one day it will fail. Treat it nice, give it a rest, and the day will be later rather than sooner.

It takes about 30 seconds to string or unstring, and you will never twist it if you use a good bowstringer. If you do keep it strung for years, will you tell me that when you sell it to me?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I'm not convinced that bows don't loose a little weight or take a set if left strung for months on end unshot.  Few who say their bows haven't lost any weight after long periods of being strung actually offer measured before and after results.  I always unstring mine.  In this state, regulations require that bows be unstrung or completely enclosed within a case during transportation.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
the rule of thumb has always been that anything which is under tension, should be stored with the tension released.

Ditto. That pertains to firearms also.  Who would leave there handgun/rifle/shotgun cocked when stored? ;)  The exception is for those who are not 100% sure of their ability to string/unstring.  They should leave strung like Ken suggests  :archer:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »
Several of the major MFG's of bows have stated the chance for damage a bow due to improper stringing or unstringing is one of the biggest problems to these mfg's. I asked the question when I wanted to start carring a line of longbows and recurves and that is the response I got. I also talked with the Martin MFG area on a special order and they said they had one recurve that had been stroed strung on pegs for over 10 years without a loss of a lb in peaks draw at 28 inch. They also discussed the new materials bows are made up with and that also is the reson why you do not need to unstring a bow after it use. Now they also said they suggest always using a bow stringer to string or unstring a bow. They also told me a self bow and or bow made up of all wood should be not left strung after use or the limbs take a set and you will lose peak bow pounds at 28 inch.
After the bow season when the shop and me close down for the winter I do take a bow stringer and take all the bows down except for my own 3 bows that I continue to shoot daily for a few arrows in the bow shop to work on form.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
Fact is all natural material suffers from fatigue when under tension or stress. The reason most bow manufacters recommend leaving them strung is because most damage to bows occurs during this process and very little "noticeable" damage occurs being left strung. As stated above if you use a bow stinger correctly you will not damage your bow and you can relieve the bow from unneccessary stress. You should never leave a selfbow strung.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
"Who would leave a handgun/rifle/shotgun cocked when stored?"

I do...1911 "Cocked and Locked" at all times(in a finger safe)...safest way to store a 1911...plus the crooks might not let me have a time out to lock and load...

I have two widow that stay strung unless they are in the truck...they have had no poundage loss, I check 'em...

Its your bow, and for now, its still a free country, so do what makes you comfortable...   :thumbsup:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I have a Massie Longhorn, been strung up for bout 5 years now....no problems

Have a new ACS that will be left strung, I'll let you know in the years to come how that works out

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
I unstring mine each time. I use a stringer. As good as my lovely bows are, I don't wish to put them to the test in the heat we get here by leaving them strung. It only takes a moment, and is perfectly safe with a good stringer.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Dreamcatcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
Hey

This was a big topic for me a few years ago.  I searched and posted.  I was able to find a article by Doug Berkshere,  he seems to be one of the smartest trad guys on the web.

He said he knew  that at  Martin they had a bow strung for 35 years , with no loss in power.  It was a recurve.  
  This would go with the other post about the martin 10 year bow.  

As Doug stated there is no proof of damage or poundage loss.  I own 2 martin bows,  Dreamcatcher and stick and i leave them strung all the time.

So i guess if u own a martin ,  u once again understand why they make the best bows in the world.

godbless

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
I carefully unstring my bows every time I'm finished using them....just because it makes me feel better.  Some modern LBs should be unstrung and I know of at least one LB that was left strung for a couple of months and dropped 3#s.
The same man has left his recurves strung indefinitely with no loss of weight.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I tell this story al the time when this topic comes up. I have a 1966 Pearson Hunter that has been strung since it was bought new, It still had the original linen string on it from when it was bought. I have unstrung it twice, so it has been strung 3 times in 42 years. It has not lost a pound in all this time. I leave my bows strung all the time and have never had one lose weight or a string fail. Do what ya like, as I do what I like! shawn
Shawn

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
I unstring my selfbows after I shoot, but my laminated bows stay strung unless I need to unstring them to put them in a case for travelling.

Fiberglass doesn't take a set, and that's what takes the stress on a laminated bow.  One recurve I use for bowfishing may stay strung for months, if not a year or more at a time.  I've had it for....10 years or so, as best I can recall, and according to my digital scale it hasn't lost anything.  Been shooting the same longbow for well over 10 years, and last time I checked it hadn't lost anything.

The down side is if your string were to fail (heard of one instance where a mouse liked the string wax), it could cause a problem.

As long as you know how to properly string/unstring, I see nothing wrong with unstringing if that's what you rather do--but as far as I can tell, it's not a requirement as long as the bow is stored properly.

Chad

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm old school. I've been unstringing my bows, after using them, for the last 43 years. Never had a twisted limb yet since I use the proper stringer.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©