3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Forearm slap and spraying arrows  (Read 857 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Forearm slap and spraying arrows
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I bare shaft tuned and got an arrows to fly perfect.... After a couple days my forearm really was tore up so I put on an armguard.  Well immediately I started shooting arrows to the left... Especially broadheads... Went back and bareshaft tuned and arrows were stiff...  Took the arm guard off and bare shafted again, Bingo.. Lasers... Shot a fletched arrow without the arm guard and perfect. Arm guard on and to the left and down we go...

I moved my brace height out to 8' ... Should only be 7 1/4 max (manufacturer says)...

Any suggestions?  It is 64' longbow/ ACS CX... Awesome bow, I really want to shoot it but I'm at a loss...

Only explanation I have is my forearms are a little big from the competitive powerlifting days, but what should I do?   Any help appreciated...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Forearm slap and spraying arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
The string slapping your armguard is kicking the string/arrow nock to the right thus throwing the point end of your arrow over to the left. Try gripping your handle firmer to prevent your bow from torquing. -ART B

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Steve I have the same exact problem.  When it doesnt hit my armguard they are like lasers like you said.  

Art thanks I will give that a try.

Shawn

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
Put a little more bend in your bow arm and, or rotate your wrist arm a little away from the string.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Steve I had two ACS CX same thing, I shot them very well but I had to hold them like it had a low grip, and just put my finger tips on the front of the riser,they are real shooters, But as Larry from A&H told me they are like a high end race cars, you have to do everything right.
I'm shooting Morrisons know, Bob makes a little better low grip riser for me and the speed is about the same. I'm waiting to see if A&H comes out with some new risers.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
I do hold it low wrist also, but can't keep it from tearing me up???  I'll try somemore... Thanks...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline bbairborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Same here.. low wrist.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
Are you "palming" the bow? My longbows I hold like I point... Meaning the side of the handle with my fingers curled back at my like they do when "pointing"... Also could be your feet. Open your stance. If your right handed open your left foot a bit forward and to the left.

Good shooting.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Rigs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Can you open your stance to get rid of the string slap?  I think I would try this before I change the way I grip the bow...

Happy hunting,
Jason
Hunting and Fishing ARE family values!  Lifetime member Traditional Bowhunters of Montana, member of Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
I have my friends new acs here and I have been playing around with it for a few weeks. It definitely isn't the easiest bow to master and it's a bit testy. I've always shot longbows or hybrids with a low brace height but with this bow I set it at 7 3/4" and it tamed it down a bit. I think you need really stiff arrows and just dedicate yourself to this one bow and I'm sure you can master it.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:25:00 AM »
Grip it like a recurve. If you shoot them low wrist you will get slap. I shoot them with a high wrist just griping with my thumb and finger, no slap. worked for me
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
i agree w danny.  the acs has to be held like a recurve.  although it is a longbow it prefers to be shot out of the web of the hand, not off of the palm.  i use a medium high grip and when things are going south on me it is always my grip that is to blame.  too much of it , palming, torquing etc...  in my opinion that bow wants to be shot w a light touch not a firm grip like other longbows.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
I would check the bow's brace height. Raising the brace height may stop the slap.
John

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 09:26:00 AM »
One way to know how a bow should be gripped is to balance the bow on your finger. Most long bows that I've seen the arrow shelves are set for a medium grip of about 1 1/2" above dimensional center. Say 1" above center, you would use a straight/high wrist grip. Between 1 3/4" to 2" I would consider using a low/full hand grip.

As was mentioned, bending the elbow slightly will help keep the string away from the arm. Just to see what it takes to keep the string from slapping your arm I would suggest holding the bow (with a slightly bent elbow) at arm's length with the string about an 1" to 1 1/2" from your arm guard. That will automatically set your hand position on the grip (find the proper grip for your bow as discribed avove) for you. -ART B

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Same as Danny, high wrist with just thumb and forefinger. My ACS is 64" and is braced at 7 1/4.
I shoot axis arrows and have my string set up where the nock will just barely stay on with the weight of the arrow.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
Only explanation I have is my forearms are a little big from the competitive powerlifting days, but what should I do? Any help appreciated...

That is an understatement….Steve is a big fella.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
My ACS works for me with the grip into the web of my hand ( no heel pressure ) and only my index finger making contact with the back of the riser.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Love this bow, I gotta figure out a way not to keep beating my arm to pieces...

Blessings,
Steve

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Have you tried calling the guys at A&H?? That's just sad...It seems like your wrist must be cocked to the left for that to happen.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »
Yeah Steve that looks terrible!  I've never noticed it when you shoot but you must be rolling your wrist into the grip like Rick said for it to be hitting that close to your hand.

When I get string slap it is usually higher up on my fore-arm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©