3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PUMA knives  (Read 2116 times)

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
PUMA knives
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Looking for someone with knowlegde of old stag handled pumas.Different years w/sheaths and blade metal.

THANKS
PETE
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PUMA knives
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Excellant production knives.Made in Germany I believe the steel is soligen? I had a lockblade I think they were one of the first to come out with the locking blade design.The stag handle hunters are real beautys.The knife I had I bought in a TWO GUYS store that was where the home depot store now stands in Wayne N.J. so you can imagine how long ago I bought it 1972 or 1973.I would do a GOOGLE search for Puma knives to get more answers or see if they have a web and e-mail them.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
All I now is they are very good knives.  Picked up a Hunter's Pal in Germany and it is going to be very difficult to get it away from me.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Pete,

I don't know much of the history and cataloging of Puma Knives - but I can tell you they are very well made production knives.  I have a Puma Companion with stag scales.  The steel is very hard, you'll need a diamond sharpener for best results.  But, it takes a very good edge.  I have dressed quite a few animals with it and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Thanks Guys
Actually looking for the older stags.Companion,Pal,Hunters Freind.

PETE
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
I have a couple from the '60s and one of them is my regular knife. There is a web-site that tells you how to date them etc. it may be puma.com-I don't remember, you will have to google. Lots of used ones on the auction site. My favorite is my mid sixties Hunters friend. Hunters Pal is the knife Fred Bear carried; in case you always wanted to know that.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Seem overpriced to me.

I found an old one, in the woods, in the '60s. The handle material was broken so I made a set of walnut and got a sheath that fit it.
It was a BIG knife and I never carried it and it's too big to skin a deer.

I like my old Shrade (before they went stainless) drop point, sharp finger. Good carbon and right size for my jobs.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 04:57:00 AM »
Older PUMA knifes are definately one of the best ever made German knives. My father loved them and had a bunch of them. Maybe some day my mother will hand them over to me ...?!
Most of the BIG knifes he never carried and almost all others he hartly ever sharpened. Just touched up the edge with a steel and they were fine for service again.
Their Trade Mark is a small pitting from the diamond point for HRC hardness testing, each blade has to pass. So there are no flaws out there.
Nowadays they also do some fancy stuff I don't like. Guess they have to run with the tide or something?! But the old ones - great!

Here you go for dating them:

Offline Plywood Bender at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I have my father's old Puma White Hunter.  He would carry it on his Montana deer/elk hunts.  We always planned on going on that hunt together (rifle), but it just never happened because of sports, clubs, school, girls, etc and then later his health.  Something I always regret.

So, whenever I go on a special hunt I carry that old Puma.  I figure I'm taking a little of my Dad with me when I go. I also carry a knife that will actually work to do the field dressing. ;^)

I also make it a point to give my son as many chances to go with me as possible.

BTW- my old White Hunter has cocobolo handles.  These seem almost harder to find than stag.

Regards,

Carl

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
I don't have any of the old ones but I do have three new Pumas. I really like them.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
For many years my dad had one of the older Pumas with the stag handle that he absolutely LOVED.  One day, a number of years ago, we were out putting up treestands and inadvertently stirred up a swarm of angry bees - as we beat a hasty retreat across a large goldenrod field, his knife somehow must have fallen out of the sheath.  We searched that field many a time looking for that knife, but we never found it - he talked so much about how much he missed that knife that my mom eventually bought him a new Puma to replace it.  I know he doesn't like the new one nearly as much as the old one, but of course he'll never tell my mom that...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Long story short :
If you want top quality, go for older pumas ( pre ´82 ) or other knife brands.

Jacob

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
I have a pre-64 stag White Hunter.  Cool knife but really too large for my needs and the scales have a couple small cracks I worry about enough to not use it much.  

The previous owner lived in Alaska and, according to his widow, used in on many bear and moose.  The sheath is completly worn out.  I often pick up that knife and wish it could tell stories.

Regardless of where and how it was truely used, it has been used a lot for something.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
FALK bless you you never cease to amaze me bud!!!My old lockblade I beleive it was a Deerhunter Model was probably one of if not the sharpest knife I ever owned. It took an edge quickly easily and held it forever.Falk am I correct in that it was Soligen Steel??? [spelling]

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Hey bentpole, you're flatten me! Be glad that you only know to "good" side ...      ;)    

You missed one "n" but yes, Solingen is correct. It's a small town where all the "cuttlery" is made, because it can then be sold as "Solingen Made" - for more money - living from the famous name. Like "Sheffield Bowie", "Champagne" or "Jamon Serano de Terruel" etc.
They had specialiced themselfs to bladesmithing and all the belonging industry long time ago. And in former times really had "an edge" over others in the that business. I don't think there is much left nowadays. But "Solingen" is still a protected Trademark - worldwide, if I remember right. BTW: SilverFlames blades are also done there.

I am pretty much a fan of the "White Hunter", though I never carried one. But I had always admired it's timeless shape and it's form follows function esthetics. Compared to bows this one would be MY Super Kodiak :-)

@Woodduck
Yes, of course are they expensive. Partly due to the things I explained above, then because many things are done by hand, even today, and thats costly in Germany. Call them the "Mercedes of the German Knife Industry" if you like. You have to pay for the name of it - that's for sure.

There was a thread about Randall Knifes recently. I guess it's just the same. You can get almost the same knife from Blackjack for a fraction of costs - BUT, it won't say Randall on it's blade, right? ... or Rolex, or Jaguar etc.

Even though I like the old PUMA's I would rather go to some skilled East European Knife Makers today. Would you like to see my "since two years want to have all time favorite" knife? Yes? Okay! It's a big picture so better have a fast Net-connection before you follow   this link .

edit: Don't get confused - it is NOT MY knife what you see in the pic! Unfortunately!

Falk

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I bought a Hunter's Pal years ago (45). It is rumored to be the blade carried by Fred Bear.  I got it before I knew that and just liked the size of the blade.  About 20 years ago I was atop a mountain in AZ glassing for javelinas and looked on the rock next to me and -voila, another Hunter's Pal! Been in the sun for years as the up-side scale was rotten.  The blade was pitted slightly from exposure, but it sharpened well and now still awaits a new set of scales.  Maybe this winter.....?  Great knives and I intend to pass them on to a yet-to-be-born grandson.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
I found this picture that has my dad's old White Hunter.  Sorry no stag handle.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I bought a Puma Skinner about 40 years ago, paid $18 for it new at the time. This was a lot of money for a knife back then but I wanted the best.

I carried it with me hunting for about 20 years. Got off evening shift, started into my apartment and realized a burglary was in progress as I opened the door. The thieves ran out the back door and escaped. They only had time to take two things, a bottle of gin and my Puma knife. Sure do miss that knife.

If anyone sees it, it has my name burned into the stag handles as well as hash marks for every deer I skinned with it.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Falk,

The knife in the picture is terrific. A real piece of art. Probably quite expensive. Wish I had that kind of skill and patience to be able to craft something so remarkable. Thanks for sharing.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
When I was a nipper, I used to stand outside a shop, in Glasgow, Scotland, called Marshals. They had a great display of knives, icluding some Pumas, a White Hunter and a Bowie took my eye and it became a ritual for me to check these two Pumas out every time I was in town, vowed one day I'd aquire one of these lovely blades.
Took nearly a lifetime, haven't grown up yet but I don't have to go to Glasgow to drool over Pumas anymore  :)  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©