3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Classic Bowhunting Literature - who reads what?  (Read 606 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Classic Bowhunting Literature - who reads what?
« on: October 03, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
G'day Fellows,

I've posted a similar poll to this over on  www.ozbow.net  and on  www.aussiebowhunter.com  , partly out of idle and misplaced curiosity, and partly to raise awareness of some great reading material that's available. I've always been a bookworm, and as a teacher I like to encourage reading wherever I can. As a historian-in-my-own-lunchbox, I believe that in order to know who you are and where you're going, you must first know from where you came.

I'm just curious about how many of these classics folks here have read. I actually haven't read them all, but have Thompson's book on the way. There are heaps of other wonderful books, so this isn't a definitive list; it's just the ones that I thought, off the top of my head, might be considered "classic" (and is obviously not going to 100% objective - my apologies). Also, maybe if you see this little list and have never heard of some, you might get some ideas of quality reading material to invest in for those cold winter mornings (yep, we get cold dry season mornings in Katherine, too!). So, I think you just click the box on those you've read, if I've made this poll right. Also, as time goes on, if you end-up reading another, you can click on that entry, I think, if I've enabled "re-voting".

Cheers, and happy reading - I believe it adds to the quality of the bowhunting and archery experience.

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Classic Bowhunting Literature - who reads what?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Great poll.. There are many, many more; but of course the list would be pages long.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
Ben,
I've read all from your list and some more ...! I think you nailed it with your expression that one needs to know or at least has to try to gather some knowledge about how it all started.
On my first bowhunt ever I met a person who had not even heard of Saxton Pope before - and I could not even imagine HOW that could have happend! Has bowhunting already lost some of it's roots?!

Here is a list of my current  Archery Bibliography .
In my chart I've rated the books with 'hearts', as for how much I liked them - for whatever reason it may have been ...

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Here's some good reading.

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/

Make sure to check copyright laws in your Country. They expire after 75 years in the U.S. but could be longer in other places.
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Thompson readers need to get "Toxophilius in Arcadia".

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
I've only read two so I've got some catchin up to do!!!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Good poll.  Falk, just about every bowhunter I've met has no idea who Saxton Pope was.  Howard Hill, who's that?  Most are clueless as to the history of their sport.

ch

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
I only missed two books of the list. I enjoyed all these books and they bring good memories.

Falk, very interesting website.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
Good starter list Ben, I'm a 'reader' too. I get asked questions like "How do you know all that?" Well I read it.?!
Falk, there I was thinking I was running out of future reads...
I'm glad to see you included other books relating to wildlife or general hunting skills and history. The wider universe of bushcraft and natural history is what creates the rich foundations for our experience. That and knowing your own roots.
chrisg

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
Steve H,

Where would one find that book, Pretty rare I would imagine.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
I have to agree with Steve H on the recommendation of "Toxophilius in Arcadia", definately a great read!

Danny, get in contact with Cliff Huntington aka "Liquid Amber". He compiled the book mostly from unpublished material found in the Thompson collection. I consider it one of the best books recently published and am blessed to have received one directly from Cliff.

Clay, well, this was a German I was talking about and the hunt took place in southern Spain. There is no bowhunting in Germany, so you don't get the idea just by watching others doing it. In addition, you then have to leave for an rather expensive trip if you want to practise at all. Under this conditions you'll spend more then 95% of your time with theory - at least in theory ... How can one miss Pope then? The kind of shooting devise he used may have had something to do with it too?!

Pucci, I'll answer your PM shortly.

... and thanks for any compliments guys,
Falk

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Danny,

Just like Falk said above.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©