3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First duck harvest  (Read 374 times)

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
First duck harvest
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Several weeks ago I submitted a request for help with water fowl hunting with a bow, well I harvested a hen golden eye 2 days ago and I'm hooked on ducks! I went out and got some decoys, a call and a instructional DVD, I hope to hunt them over a spread with a call next week.....thank the Goddess only the ducks can hear me!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First duck harvest
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Pics?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:46:00 AM »
Right on! I know the feeling. It's a fun hunt.

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »
Learn the feeding call well. If a hen asks if there's food down there you better have the right answer.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:00 AM »
Vermonster13; I'm lucky I can post at all with my poor computer skills, too many hoops to learn for a duck pic.

Fowlarcher; Whole new group of skills to learn from putting out sets to what call when and why. Looks like I will be hunting with a guy up here who knows how to use a call, should be fun! So far I mostly make sure no ones looking, quack a few times, make sure no ones looking, annoy, confuse and amuse the local ducks and check one last time to make sure no ones pass away from a laughter induced hart attack.....dose the feeling you should be wearing a little red nose and floppy shoes while blowing a duck call ever fade?

Offline fowlarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:15:00 AM »
Yeah, with practice.

Offline Clay Hayes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
awsome man, give us some details!

ch

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Excellent.  My buddy Benny and I are talking about going around Juneau tomorrow.  I had several shots while moose hunting, mostly out of a canoe which is extra tuff!

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Clay
Well I had never tried waterfowl hunting and thought it looked like it would be fun and doable with a bow. I asked and got some advice on practice techniques and started warming up for ducks. I have been working hard to get our small shop and firewood crib finished before snow fall so I have been more than a little busy. I decided a little R@R was needed so about 5pm I headed for an archery only lake not far from the house. I launched my canoe not expecting to get anything because of my lack of experience and the fact I was trying to stalk in close enough with the canoe. Right away I got to within about 20 yards of a Mallard and when he took flight I let a shaft fly only to hear a loud thud as the lower limb hit the gunnel of the canoe. "OK gonna have to cant the bow more than normal I guess." So on my next opportunity I hit a mallard with the fletchings of my flu flu arrow. I had 4 or 5 more near misses and was headed for home when I noticed a hen golden eye feeding intently near shore, I paddled the boat very quietly to within 15-20 yards and took my shot. She never even knew what hit her my shot placement was perfect and the broad head severed her neck leaving the breast meat untouched. Between the wariness of ducks and the challenge of shooting out of a canoe I'd put this one right up there with some of my more difficult harvests.

Steve H
Your going to love it man! Lots of excitement, tough shooting and ,for me at least, a whole new group of hunting skills to learn!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©