3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Damon Howatt Diablo.  (Read 157 times)

Offline Wildhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
Damon Howatt Diablo.
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Hey guys new user here but long time hunter and archer.

So please talk me out of or into this one.

Been shooting modern bows all my life but about a year ago the traditional bug hit.

I went to a archery shop today and shot several recurve bows including Bear Kodiak Magnum, Damon Howatt Senaca, Indian Archery (something or another), and Damon Howatt Diablo.

Shot all of these bows and most of them felt a little awkward in the grip or had s distinct buzz on the string when the arrow went down range.

The Damon Howatt Diablo however, drew smooth, and, inspite of my lack of practice with instinctive shooting, seemed to put all the arrows in the general vecinity of where I wanted them down range (at leas compared to the other bows. It was also quieter than all the others.

So here is the rub. I draw a 70 pound compound, but wanted to get into a recurve around 50# just so that it would be enjoyable to shoot and because my 60# longbow is too heavy for me to shoot enjoyably. The Damon Howatt was SWEET in every way and EASY to shoot. The only problem is that it only pulls 45#. Im stuck with only being able to afford used budget bows at the moment so what my selection is limited to those bows I can find locally that fit that description. They want $200 for the Howatt Diablo.

So what do you guys think I should do? Snatch it up or wait for something in the same price range with the same feel but with a heavier draw weight?

I want to use whatever recurve I buy for deer and hog hunting but am a little bit worried that if I impulsively bought this bow for its smoothness and shootability I might get left high and dry when it comes to the power I might need.

So your thoughts gentelmen. Pass or Purchase?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damon Howatt Diablo.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
A 45# Diablo would be perfect for learning form and accuracy, not to mention plenty of power for most big game including deer and hogs. Also, that thing will hold its value. Go for it.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
Like Shaun said. If at a later date you decide you really like traditional archery and you are able to handle heaver poundage you can sell the Diablo and buy something heaver.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
Now that you've found a Bow Model you like, why dont you run a wanted add in the classifieds for a couple days and see what shows up.  Who knows, there may be someone out there wanting to sell a 48#-50# Diablo right now.

I agree that the 45# would be a great weight to learn form on and an adequate weight to hunt with but if you're set on 50# and truly feel like you can handle that much weight to begin with then might as well try to get one now.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »
Buy that Diablo and practice, practice, practice. Great bow and you will learn correct form. Most people coming off compounds overbow themselves. Start with the 45 and later when you have the form ingrained in your subconcious buy a heavier bow if you want. 45 is plenty for most anything.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
Every big game animal in north america has been harvested with a 40# bow and most native American Indian bows were in the 25-35 pound range. In Alaska 40# is all that is required for caribou, deer, black bear and Dall sheep. Moose, browns, goats and bison can be legally harvested with a 50#.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
Wwildhorse, I have an offer you can't refuse.  I have a classic Damon Howatt Super Diablo rosewood model that I'd be willing to part with. It is a 60" recurve 57lbs @ 28" and shoots hard and straight.Super Diablos are known for shooting harder and faster than their stated draw weight.  One of the prettiest bows you will ever shoot. Pm me for details, I will be in Ia the first two weeks of November.   Do search for a guy by the handle of howattman on this site and the LW.  He is the expert on these bows.  The bow doc is another great source of infornation. He completely restored my super diablo this past June. Perfect condition.

Offline Billyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
I have been looking for this bow for sometime myself,found it in the compound model and just had to buy it just for the riser alone.Have an extra riser also looking to find some limbs for it to make a take down with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©