3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some help (Not anymore ) Mount pictures  (Read 652 times)

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some help (Not anymore ) Mount pictures
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Well it finally happened.  I knew i was do for one sooner or later in my trad hunting career, I just never thought it would be on my biggest buck I have ever drawn on.  The buck came in about 20 yards quartering away, not too much but just enough to make it look like a beautiful oppurtunity.  I stopped him, drew, stared a hole in his heart and let it go.  The instant it left my hand I thought oh chit duck it duck it.  He didnt make it fast enough and my arrow burried up to the nock in his hams.  With one bound I could see the bright red blood starting to cover his ham and by the time he covered 50 yards his entire back ham was coated in blood.  After an hour and a half I eased out of the tree and went to the spot I had shot him.  Within  5 yards there was already big puddles of blood and blood up on saplings as he dashed out of there.  From the looks of it I might have gotten lucky and hit the artery, however I dont want to bump him up and find out I should have waited longer.  I shot him around 845 this morning.  Weather is forcasted in the mid 60's as a high today.  How long till I go look for him?  I didnt go any further than the spot I shot him and could see blood along where he ran for probably 25 yards without even looking for it.  it was everywhere.  So if i hit the artery how long will it take him to bleed out, if I didnt would a meat hit bleed that much?

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help (Not anymore ) Mount pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
If he's letting blood that much in that period of time, I'd say you cut a main line. He should have crossed over into the hereafter by now.

I think its bad mojo to try to stop a deer for a shot. It perks up an animal that is already high strung!  

Good luck in your recovery and post some pics of this monster when you find him!

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
He's dead. Better go get him. Pictures Please.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
If you hit that artery, he bled out fast...If it was "gut" blood, it'll take him considerably longer to die....It won't make him any deader to wait a little while!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I know it wasnt guts.  I am 110% sure there werent guts in that shot.  I just keep replaying the picture of the guy on here that shot that elk and had that much blood at the site of the shot and jumped his elk back up.  I dont want to do this to this buck.  I am going back out in 45 minutes to give it a go and see if I can find him.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Dustin,

If you hit the femora and it sounds as if you have. He is dead! The weather is on your side as well since it is not going to get too warm.

Good Luck

Sean

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
Well I would go in with several hours of light left and still hunt him. He is more than likely down  but I never just go look for downed game keep in the hunt mode!!!
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
After running late to the stand this morning I crawled up just in time to beat the rush hour traffic past my stand. Small buck, then a tiny buck, then a nice 2.5 8 with good mass and thick tines came through behind them. This is great I thought 3 bucks and its only been 20 minutes now where are those does. I just want a nice fat doe to break the ice and the mojo of the tomahawk. After watching those three bucks feed off another one appeared to my left in the set aside field working over a sapling over there. I had forgotten my grunt call but knew I could grunt with my voice and thought its early lets see. I grunted and this deer turned and walked straight to the base of my tree. I was taking pictures of the little 6 pointer I had trail cam pictures of when he started to walk away. Then I noticed a much bigger buck coming in to investigate the grunting. He came in just above one of my shooting lanes and I thought this isnt going to work. Then as if on cue he turns and walks right down the logging road im set up on. I baah to stop him at about 20 yards my eyes burning a hole in his heart, string gets to anchor, hold, the string slips from my fingers. I have made this shot a million times in the backyard and it always felt so familiar to me except this time. The instant it left I thought OH CHIT duck it. Get under that arrow. The puffs and heavy arrows had my bow whisper quiet and he didnt even realize an arrow was about to make contact. The arrow burried nock deep in his ham. With in his first two bounds I noticed bright red blood forming on his ham, Within 50 it was running down his back ham, and at 80 there was no mistaking that he was pumping some serious blood. I sat for an hour and waited and then got down and checked the shot site, blood everywhere I could see where he had bumped trees on his way out and there was blood covering the undergrowth of the forest floor. I eased out and made some phone calls and plenty of texts to stallion. My dad said it sounds like I might be the luckiest bowhunter he knows, stallion ( a second buddy) says give him 4 hours, my head is saying you hit that artery, but my heart is saying nice shot dumbass dont get your hopes up. I went through a pack of gum between 10 and 3, I was nervous to say the least. At 230 I couldnt take it any longer I had to know. I took my bow, my binoculars, and my phone and eased back in to check it out. I went to impact site and started following the blood at about the 80 yard mark he had stopped and a large chunk of fat had fallen off of him some how. My first thought was oh chit he is clogging up already. Then common sense said if he is artery hit he should be dead inside of 100 yards. We only have 20 more to that deadline. At 100 yards he was cutting across the bean field to the swamp on the other side and off the property. I lost blood in the bean field because the beans were so short and it had baked in the sun all day. Everything was brown and the dried blood was brown.. I marked last blood with an arrow and got on the phone to text message my dad to see what to do now. I called my buddy and he said just keep on it. If you jump him keep him moving dont let that artery stop bleeding. As I looked up from my text message I couldnt believe it. This is what I saw....

At that second Jon had sent me a text message asking if I had found him yet. I replied "Im looking at him right now" I couldnt believe it. I had killed one of the two bucks I had my eyes on this year and it was only the first morning hunt of the year. My first thought was WOW, you are damn lucky dumbass. Then I thought holy cow the chase of this deer is over. No more chase next year for this guy. Then another holy cow, Im on doe patrol for the rest of the year and I dont even get to rattle em up or call to em during the rut. Mixed emotions of joy and sorrow for not only the end of the life of such a great animal, but also the end of the chase. However he is by far my best buck yet and one I learned many lessons on. I hope these pictures do him justice as he means the world to me.

I am so thankful for this deer the hunter sorrow that we all feel each and everytime seems to have really gotten me with this deer.  I am happy to be behind him smiling and clearing a place on the wall for him (Im trying to smile but sun was in my face)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
That is a dandy in anyones book. Congrats!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Congratulations, Dustin!!    :archer:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Congrats  :clapper:  
Very Nice Buck

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Dustin, Good job on the follow up on an outstanding buck! Congrats! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
A dead deer is a dead deer.  Some are not as easy or pretty as the others, but the end result is the same.

That is a hoss of a buck.  Congrats!!!

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
WTG!
Great buck, great patients on your part.
Congratulations!
Steve.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
That is a beautiful buck. Great job on finding him.

John
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 12:55:00 AM »
Dustin, The hip shot was one of Fred's most favorite shots on deer. He never hesitated to take a shot into the ham. I'm thinking Fred just might have been right.

I don't deliberately try for hip shots, but I've hit more than a few hips when I was trying a long-angle quartering away shot; and a couple on running shots too; but I've yet to lose a single one of those accidentally hip-hit animals ... and that includes several animals that were WAY bigger than deer size.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
Dandy Buck, Congrats!

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Very Nice!! Congrats!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Nice buck! Way to go!!!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement