3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A decision in the woods (graphic pics)  (Read 1025 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A decision in the woods (graphic pics)
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
You done right. Be careful of gang green though.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Joe..Be grateful our gracious Lord gave you the honor of ending the deers suffering quickly before coyotes found it. Hold your head high. You are a gentleman and a true sportsman. Excellent job!! Cotton

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Luckily I've never ran across that in the woods.   No doubt you did the right thing.  I have found a squirrel ON CAMPUS that needed relieved.  That was a sticky situation, but I don't think location should change what's right and not right.

Having "dominion" over animals has countless perks.  There's also a few responsibilities.

Ya did right.
Micah 6:8

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Joe,

You have my respect for doing the right thing! Anyone who would dare to look down their nose at you can cram it!!! Hold your head high even if the meat is bad and its possum bait you ended this little guys suffering!!!

-RHiNo

Offline dispatch 510

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I would have done the same thing.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Good Job!!

I even ended it for a rabbit that got hit by a car and was still alive.  I think you made the right decision.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »
You did the right thing, Joe.  I would advise to be a bit careful of the meat in case of a systemic infection from those wounds.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
you did the right thing. Here is a story for you.  When I was in college, I was on my way back from bowhunting, when I hit a doe deer on a well used road.  I was only going 25mph.  The deer was not dead and was in obvious pain.  I got out of the truck and grabbed my bow. I shot her in the lungs and she was dead in seconds.  Some ******* saw the whole thing and pulled over and said that I should have "let nature take it's course"  I told him that there was absolutely nothing natural about a deer being hit by a ton of steel and that it was an unromantic, and unfair way for such a great animal to die.  He shook his head, said something to his wife and rolled up the window on his BMW.  I hope that guy went back to Chicago where he belonged, and ate a nice red juicy stake that evening.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »
You did the right thing. I have put down three deer in similar circumstances. One had a broken back leg from a slug and showed signs where coyotes and/or dogs had already found her (chew marks on her leg and flank). The other two were obvious car accident victims.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :archer:

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
I'll go one further. My brother and I used to hunt together, one year hem took a impossible shot at a deer that was way too far away with a 45-70. He ended up blowing the front legs clean off this poor whitetail and it pushed it's self through literally miles of knee deep snow. Because he should have known better my father wouldn't let him back in the house till he found and recovered the meat from that deer and I haven't hunted with him for anything in 15 years! You did the only humane thing and if you had done anything else you would not be welcome to hunt with me. I find there are too many sport killers in the field these days and too few who uphold the values Trad archery and hunting in general are built on.

PS doesn't look like you'll loose that much meat to me just trim back till you get a nice even color remove all blackened or white/ yellowed flesh. General rule of thumb for any game if it is odorless or smells good it is. For example a friend of mine recently shot a 7 foot brown, normally an inedible critter. But this year we had almost no salmon run and the bears have been eating berries and moose all summer. Well his was the first fall brown I couldn't smell from 30 feet away I've ever seen......and it tastes great!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »
You definitely did the right thing. Well done!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 06:08:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  You are welcome in my camp anytime  :campfire:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 06:13:00 AM »
Good job and you did let nature be nature! we as preadtors are part of the picture to thin out the weak! i have done the same things many times in 35 years of hunting,but that's another story for another time! You done Right!!!   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Berube

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
righ thing to do , good decision

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Well done Joe.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
Good call. I have never been in your shoes but wouldn't hesitate if I was. It is what I call in my mind the hand on my shoulder which in my case was the grandfather that took me to the woods and explained right and wrong. Somethings need no justification they are right or they're not. This was right. I would be proud to share a campfire with you...and some of those tender backstraps.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
No question-right decision. Have finished what others started several times over the years. you did the right thing.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
You did the right thing,I hate to see a animal suffering,unless its my exwife!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©