3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to bowhunt this season;I really need a mentor or something  (Read 374 times)

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to bowhunt this season;I really need a mentor or something
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I've never been out during deer season and don't know where to start.

Every year I try to get my trad gear together, reading every article and forum post I can find.

But then what?  I don't know where to go to even scout or step on someone's turf.  I don't even know the first thing about tree-stands (just what I learned in bowhunting class) and would rather spot-and-stalk.

Does anyone ever take a newbie along with them or is that just considered a recipe for a "ruined hunt"?

Is my only hope to go pay someone to "guide" me on their land?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to bowhunt this season;I really need a mentor or something
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Do you have any public ground that you can go to???

Deer cannot go underground or float above it... They leave SIGN.. This isn't rocketscience finding where the deer are. Being at the right place at the right time is an educated guess.

Walk an oak ridge or around the edges of a crop field looking for sign. Another great place that will funnel deer and is easy to "find" is a creek crossing. Deer are creatures of habit and use the same places to cross creeks, fences, even walking around obstacles. Be it a rock bluff, blowdown ect..  Another easy thing to do that requires a bit more work.. Esp. if your on public ground find the thickest most nasty cover far away from the parking lots.. You will find the deer. Remember to always pay attention to the wind. A deer smells you and the game is over.

Good luck out there.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Like you, I had no mentor when I was starting out. I read as much as I could (TBM and Deer and Deer Hunting are two good magazines to start with) and practiced shooting at every opportunity.

This was pre-internet, so it took a little doing to research the wildlife management areas, National Forests and game regulations in my state. The rules change from county to county, and so I had to see which ones allowed the weapon of choice, and when I could hunt. The state fish and game magazine offered more info on top of that, kill statistics by county, and how the mast crop was. The game and fish agency in your state can help you also.

I started hunting on my own, and have done so ever since. My learning curve has probably been a little flatter because of this, but I didn't learn anybody else's bad habits, either.

First off, you need to know the regs. Second, you need to find land to hunt on. I hunt public land exclusively, though I may have a line on some private land this year. Hop online, get your info, and go for it. You will learn as you go, and pick up stuff from books, friends, and your pals here. Hoist up your pants and hit the woods!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I am not exactly sure of the name I believe it is "Mapping Trophy Whitetails" or something like that. Brad Herndon wrote the book and it explains in detail what sort of terrain features funnel deer and how to identify these spots using maps. I believe you will find this book helpful, and it should give you an idea where to start looking.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I agree with the above.  I like creek crossings and crop fields, especially standing corn fields since they really funnel deer.
If you can find some private ground to hunt it would make it easier since hunting pressure makes things harder. Usually people are more likely to let bow hunters hunt than gun hunters.
Usually the first year is a lot of learning the area. I would keep a journal of temp,wind direction and deer sightings for future reference

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Get ahold of some of the old Wensel and Brunner videos/DVDs   :thumbsup:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Great advice above........I would add join an archery club if there is one in your vicinity.

Guided hunts will accellerate your learning process greatly, and if she/he is any good the guide will work your tail off.

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Like everyone said so far...Good stuff.

But i will add my .02

Get videos, TBM and ask like crazy here at TG, buy the book Come Novemeber by Gene wensel. Also dont hesitate to go out and ask a land owner/farmer that is near you for the privalege to hunt their land(you should search and read more on this process) You have nothing to lose in doing this i might add, since you have no hunting area, asking will only gain you that possibility. You like hunting on the ground...cool, me too. Go buy stalking and stillhunting, the Ground hunters bible by G.Fred asbel. Study, learne, fail, analyze...succeed. As to Public land, call the state and ask them to send you a book on the legal hunting area's in NC and almost any state forest will allow you to hunt....by the way, public land doesnt have anyones "turf" we all just follow the basic laws of man, and if you see someone that i set up before you, just move along, no worries. Most important after finding the land is getting out there ALOT. So like Killie said "Hoist up your pants and hit the woods!"  :archer:  

Good luck bud, dont be discouraged, it isnt easy but it is the biggest reward.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
Savate, go to tradgang home forum and scroll down to traditional clubs. There is some info there that may connect you to other traditionalist in your area. Good luck.

bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
I appreciate the support.  

How do I know, when I pull up to the parking lot near public lands, whether I'll be walking through places where I'm spooking deer (walking under treestand, etc)?  I just hate to traipse around the forest looking like an idiot and ruining other people's hunts.

I guess I need to buy Stalking and Stillhunting!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
Walk in to "scout" and bring your bow of course on any weekday between 10am and 3pm.. You shouldn't bother anybody unless it is the middle of November (rut)...

GREAT advice from bowhunterfromthepast.. Find a local bowhunter/archery group to join.. Great help and make new buddies.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Get on google maps and look at the area you want to hunt. You can view it as satellite photos or topographic maps (terrain). Use photo's to look for changes in vegetation that might be attractive to deer as feeding or bedding areas. Use terrain to look for land features that might funnel deer movements (ridges, saddles, ravines, creeks/rivers). You can pick a few spots off the map and then check them out for sign on the ground. It will help you wander with a purpose. Relate what you find on the ground with what you see on the map and use it to interpret the map for other good spots.

Offline Chris Lantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
If you wanted to take a look at "Mapping Trophy Bucks" it's available on google books:    Mapping Trophy Bucks . There's lots of good books on bowhunting Whitetails available on google books if you can stand to read from a computer screen for long periods of time. It can be a great resource to preview books you are thinking about buying.

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Savate if you get a chance you can come down here and go with me for a few days, I have plenty of ground and maybe we could both learn some things!  With approximately 5000 acres and only me there is plenty of ground, I am in Meriweather county GA probably a four to five hour drive  from you.
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
If you can spend aproximately $200 for aMO archery tag and can get to kansas city , MO, i would be happy to take you under my wing.  I've been working with a couple guys for the past several years and now they think they are ready to strike out on their own. It's a 20 hour drive from the coast to MO if you do become interested. I have acess to plenty of public and some private ground to hunt.PM me if you get interested.  I leaveNov1st for IA birds and KS deer so will have to work around that.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Anaconda12, good on you for volunteering your services. I agree with all the advise above but, sometimes no matter what you do, you can still learn a lot more from someone who has been there and can help point out things first hand.

Top rate advice from all. This is how we look out for the future of our sport.   :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline osprey1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Lots of great advice. As mentioned the shortest way to shorten your learning curve is to hook up with someone in the know. Kinda like steelheading certain pockets or holes in some very big rivers always seem to hold fish. Like that in the woods too. Certain spots hold more game. Spend time pre-season scouting if you can. Just take your binos and sit out before dark. Watch where the deer come out of the bush to feed on the crops. The bigger bucks come out last it seems. Mark these spots visually. Next day get back there and find the trails that lead down to the spots where the deer came out. The deer usually are relaxed and appear well before dark prior to opening day. Set your ground blind/tree stand up close by those well used trails always keeping in mind wind direction. Still hunting or stand hunting have the wind on your side (cross wind) or in your face. Not at your back. Play the wind constantly. Hang a small feather from your bow tip, or hang a thin piece of toilet paper where you can see it. I have been using that powder in a squeeze spray bottle lately and it works well. Preseason scout, find the honey holes, use the wind, always hunt the magic hours just before full daytime and just before dark. Hunt the days in and around a full moon when game activity is highest. As mentioned learn to read the sign. Learn how to track, how to
"Behold this and always love it, for it is sacred and you must always treat it as such"...Sioux Indian

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
Savate you had better be glad you were not with me yesterday, I would have failed in the teaching you how to keep dry training!  Man we got four inches of rain here yesterday, but boy we sure did need it!
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Have you ever played hide and seek?
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Savate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
You guys are awesome...I could proably travel around the Southeast all season and get some real "school'n"!

I'm a wrestling coach so I better get moving before THAT season kicks off!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©