3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trouble quieting a brushbow  (Read 232 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
trouble quieting a brushbow
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
i shoot a hornes brushbow 60" 56@ 28. I have beaver balls at 1/3. SHoot a 600g arrow and so far the quietest spot is about 8 1/4in on brace height. Isn't this a little too high of BH?

What should i do? I have a ben pearson recurve that is whisper quiet. I thought longbows were suppose to be quieter.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trouble quieting a brushbow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I had two Brushbows both quiet with cat whiskers.I don't
 believe my brace height was that high.Your shooting 600 grain arrows are they aluminum, carbon, or wood? Are the arrows striking the shelf on your release? That would mean your nock point is off. Are your nocks tight on your string/serving? Sloppy nocks make an arrows noisey too. Plus you can't group worth a crap. If everything  is OK and you still have a noise problem, I would give Mark and Sandy a call, good people the Horne's.

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
ok, i solved my problem... How did I do it?

I threw the stinkin FF string in the trash. Put on a B50 and its so quiet i have to double check to make sure the arrow left the string.

Maybe some people have better luck with the "high performance" stuff but i think ill stick to the dacron.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
LOL! There you go one way to solve a problem.B-50 0n some hybrid type longbows will actually make the bow louder. Glad you solved your problem.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Alot of the highly R/D bows seem to need a higher nocking point too.  Chad

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Did you really throw it away?  If not keep it around.

Sounds like you played with different BH to try and find the quite spot.  Did you play with the positions of Beaver balls?  The idea between changin' brace height and moving string silencer is the same.  You can change the length of the string (brace height), or you can change were you put the dampers on it (the silencers).

My guess it that you may have changed the string length until your silencers were able to work. If you go back with a lower BH and longer string and move the silencers you may be much happier with results.

Look at this:

That's what a string does when it vibrates (makes sound). One string can vibrate in all those different ways at once. You want the silencers to be on the "humps".  If they're in the valleys where the lines cross they aren't going to do much at all.  Obviously you can't put 7 silencers on a string, and you wouldn't want to do all the measuring anyways.  Just keep moving them around.  Sometimes it even works out to where they aren't the same distances from the tip.  When that happens you're putting them on different overtones.

Of course, if you had already spent a lot of time moving the silencers I just wasted a lot of time   :D  

When I make long posts like this I'm not trying to insult anybody's intelligence or "talk down".  I just know I much prefer to have something explained thoroughly to me.
Micah 6:8

Offline bootheeltechy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Soilarch, no time was wasted, you taught me something new. I understood changing silencer positions on the string would effect tune but not the "how" or "why" part. Excellent diagrams and explanation. Thanks
TGMM family of the bow

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
hey thanks alot for the diagram and explanation. I moved those beaver balls from tip to tip and BH from 6 1/2 to 9. My bow was night and day different as soon as i put on that b50.
Combo Hunter 46@28

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Soilarch, thank you for the explanation. I now believe I could tune a piano. So simple once it is explained.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
that seems like a ton of brace height on a Brushbow...

Mine liked 7-1/4 which is in the range Horne recommends.

With the fast flight string is was quiet as a mouse...
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
My 62" Brushbow was set at 7-1/2; even with a bare string, the TS1 string was quieter than dacron.  Loved that bow.
Your mileage may vary...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©