3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super heavy longbow shooter question  (Read 263 times)

Offline dsa1817

• Trad Bowhunter
Super heavy longbow shooter question
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:13:00 AM »
I was watching something on History Channel (or maybe it was Discovery) about weapons, and they had a segment on English longbows.  The archer was shooting something in the 180 to 200 pound range  :eek:  , which is pretty amazing.  He was anchoring at the top of his chest, it looked like, and upon release, he almost threw the longbow forward.  I was just wondering, is this the result of recoil force of the bow, or is part of his technique?  I would imagine 200 pounds of compressed force would probably have some sort of recoil effect, but I haven't noticed any such tendency on my (much wimpier  :rolleyes:  ) bows.  It kinda looked like he was trying to throw in a couple more fps.  Anyways, just curious, and envious.  :notworthy:

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super heavy longbow shooter question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
First off, I dunno...but I can't sleep tonight so here's some more thought:

With his bow arm holding 200# out it may have less to do with the bow recoiling and more to do with the fact his brain can't "turn off" his muscles fast enough to keep him from continuing to push his hands apart.

Wish I had seen it so I could tell if it looked more like a "throwing" or more like a "decompression".

Geez, I know the top-of-the-chest anchor buys you several pounds. But even 100# DW!?!?  How do people "work up" to that without buying 30 bows to get from 50 to 100#!!!!!!
Micah 6:8

Offline dsa1817

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »
According to the show's narrator, he's been shooting since he was 6 YOA.  Buuuuutttt, I know a couple of dudes that also shot since they were knee high to a grasshopper, and consider 90# heavy.  He wasn't very stout looking, either, but he grew up as farm boy.  Hard labor-strength beats gym-strength any day of the week.  Still, I can't quite wrap my mind around someone shooting any bow over, say 100#.  That dude's a hoss!!!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »
That "throw" is a deliberate technique which adds about twenty yards (from memory) to the flight of the arrow - they're going for distance. By the way, those English lads can shoot those bows dead accurately, too, at normal targets.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:20:00 AM »
Yep, supposed to add a little distance in flight shooting.  Sure looks odd though.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
longbowleo..who sales heavy bows on here.. could probably answer your ?'s, maybe he'll jump on, super nice guy that shoots well over 100#s,I would also be interested in his training routine.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline dsa1817

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
You and me both.  I shoot up to 70#@28, mostly 60-65# usually.  I passed on a used Leon Stewart 79#@28 coz that just required more man than I am.  Beautiful bow.  Would be cool if I could shoot that weight.

That archer WAS pretty accurate.  He hit what looked like an 18"-or-so triangular street sign at over 150 yards!   :scared:   Absolutely amazing!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©