3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My hunting mentor, Uncle Stan  (Read 361 times)

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
My hunting mentor, Uncle Stan
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
As a kid growing up on the farm, My Dad was far to busy to find time to do much hunting. He only took me bowhunting two times but they were some of the most exciting and memorable hunts I ever had. No game was taken but we had a hell of a time. I did however have and Uncle named Stanley That was my Dad's older brother by 10 years. Uncle Stan was my hunting mentor.

Stanley lived in on the home farm most of his life but later moved to Milwaukee but each fall, Uncle Stan would live at my Parents house for about a month. It was Uncle Stan that took me on the majority of my outdoor adventures. He was a hunting mentor that taught me a lot of what I know today. We spent a lot of time picking mushrooms which is where he showed me a lot about reading deer sign. We spent a lot of time hunting and since we hunted the home farm where he grew up, He already knew the spots to take me.

My first weekend bowhunt this year was in a spot Stand showed me about 30 years ago. Stan was a guy would could tell a tale as well and my 4 Brothers and I would listen to his stories that sounded like something you would read in field and stream or Outdoor Life. Each day when we got home from school, there was some sort of story and some mushrooms and small game or fish since Stan had the whole day to just do as he pleased.

One day in November, when I got home, Stan told me that he seen a bunch of deer down by the lake near a cedar swamp and that we should go check them out. I grabbed the Ben Pearson Super Jet and we headed out. When we got to the edge of the swamp he pointed out a spot of blood on a leaf and said that one of those deer must have been injured and that we should try and track it.

Stan told me to tell him every time I saw blood because he said my eyes were better than his. As we moved along, I would point out the blood. It took us deeper into the cedar swamp. We tracked that blood for about 100 yards until I could find no more. I started looking over the whole area as Stan watched me search for more sign. When I could find no more, I looked to Stan who was standing next to a large doe that was hanging from a rope thrown over a high branch. I was so focused on the ground that I never looked up and saw the gutted out deer hanging there.

Stand said that I did such a good job tracking that I could help him drag it back to the farm house. We had trucks and tractors that would have made the job easier but I never suggested it. stan and I went on many a hunt. As he got older, he would spend less and less time at our farm each fall and then finally, only came up for the gun deer season. He hunted until 1998 when he was 74 years old. A few medical conditions and his age kept him out of the woods after that. This is a picture from the last year Stan hunted with us. Back in those days I did not own a camera so I have hardly any pictures of Uncle Stan except during family events or the gun deer season.

My Sons were not of hunting age yet so they never got a chance to hunt with stan but much of what I pass onto them, came from him so without them knowing it, stan had a big impact on their lives as well.

Stan died today at the age of 84 at St. Luke's in Milwaukee. I was doing pretty good until I typed that line.
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My hunting mentor, Uncle Stan
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
sorry to hear of your loss, I will keep your family in my prayers
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
Keep the good memories and realize how lucky you are/were to have an uncle Stan.

Best wishes to you and the family.

P.S.  You had me smiling till the last line, thanks for sharing.
Micah 6:8

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a good man. Hap

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Im very sorry for your loss.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
R.I.P. Stan.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:59:00 AM »
Sounds like a great guy.  Everybody should have an Uncle Stan.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »
While searching through old photos last night, I found another pic of Stan from 76 that I was able to scan.

Offline swampjoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »
RGK, my most heartfelt sorrow for your loss.  I have an Uncle Stan too, except his name is Uncle Jerry.  He is 82 and I dread the time that is inevitably coming - I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
prayers to you and his family.

you are fortunate to have known such a man and have him as your mentor.  pay it forward and do the same for your kids and family

god bless

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your memories of your uncle. What a fantastic man to have in your childhood.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
I'm sorry your uncle is gone.  But as you know he will never leave you and will be forever in your memories and the memories of others as you pass on his lessons.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Kyodai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Sounds like the world has lost a true treasure.  It does my heart good the think of his knowledge being passed to your boys. Tell his tales and he will never be forgotten.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind."---Fred Bear

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
I am truely sorry for your loss. Sounds like the world lost a true gentleman and hunting partner.
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Very sorry for your loss.Sounds like he was a family treasure.He lives on though, in the character he passed on to you and your boys.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Ron, I am so sorry to here of your loss of yet another one of your uncles.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks Greg. That's 3 Uncles in one year.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Like someone already said, I was smiling ear to ear till that last line.  I have two uncles that mentored me (read tolerated) growing up, and I owe a world to each for their unique areas of expertise.  I look back on times spent with them as some of my happiest.  Thanks for reminding me to make sure they know what a large role they played in my development.  Sorry for your loss, the heavens are one star brighter tonight.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss, your memories will keep him alive in you heart.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
You are a rich man. Memories like that are worth more than gold... Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad, will be a year Nov 26th. Seem the woods make me think of him more than normal.

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©