3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever had this happen?  (Read 272 times)

Offline Colonel

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever had this happen?
« on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
I bought a Bear Kodiak Magnum I found at auction, in a 25# draw weight, which is something I have never seen before. I thought my wife could use it to play around with. It came without a string, so I put a dacron string from another KMag 52AMO (47.5" measured string length). First time I shot it, the string jumped off the upper nock - didn't just slide down the limb, but came completely off. I tried a second string, this one a Flemish, and it did the same thing. One of the strings had bow button silencers, which I removed and tried again, with the same result. I then stopped trying, not wanting to damage the bow.

Now this bow, although a KMag (and a very nice one, with no signs of damage or wear at the tips) is a much lighter bow, and the tip overlays are smaller and lighter than my other KMags, and the strings were from heavier draw bows (14 and 16 strand). I am wondering if this is the problem?

My planned solution is to get a couple of much lighter strings, and perhaps some lighter arrows (I shot Heritage 90 and Gold Tip 3555)

Anyone else ever experienced this.

Gerry

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever had this happen?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Are you sure a limb isn't twisted?
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
The times I've had strings slip off the tips like that was when one of the limbs was twisting during the draw.  Have someone watch you draw the bow and watch the limbs.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I agree with buckracks7....sounds like its twisted or weak. I had a '57(?) Hoyt Pro that had straight limbs, even on draw, but the lower one was weak (I think the glue had crystalized). String flew off every time. Wall art.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Appears to be a twisted limb to me.  Draw the bow and let it down slowly.  If the string aligns to either side of the groove in the recurve, the limb is twisted.  Will need to straighten it or the string will continue to come off.  Check both top and bottom limbs.  Each could be twisted.  Good luck.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Mr.Twister ???????? bowdoc

Offline Colonel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Thank you all - I had not considered twisted limb(s). I looked at it carefully before I strung it, and it appeared fine. I will do as you have suggested, with respect to twisting during draw and/or weak limb(s).

gerry

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
If it does have a twist, keep the bow strung and while holding the string in place, twist it the opposite way. you can twist past what the origianl twist is. Do this several times over a few days while shooting it and leave it strung in between. It will work out in short order! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Alot of times the groovs may need work as well as the twist..

Offline Colonel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
I looked at the bow again last night, and while unstrung could not detect any twist. I will try Shawn's suggestion this evening, and it does appear that the grooves in the tips are quite shallow, compared to my 48 and 55# KMags. The strings I tried are off the 2 others, and are 14 and 16 strand, so too heavy and thick for the 25# bow, which may be part of the problem. In addition, neither string seems to get the right brace height. What brace height should I be looking for on this bow?

Gerry

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Yu can take sand paper and make the grooves deeper. it's not all that hard just follow the lines it doesnt take much to make a difference.  put your brace ht at 7.5" or slightly more

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©