3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone else NOT seeing deer?  (Read 568 times)

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone else NOT seeing deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Im in north georgia near cohutta, and I've yet to see one. And i dont know many people that have seen that many. Im bout to dust off the 270...

Offline mooseman1967

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
here in Nebraska im hunting small tree lines between standing corn fields so far two does and one decent 8 point. one doe and the buck was harvested between noon and 2pm. otherwise i have seen well over a 100 deer while on stand see alot more during midday then usual.

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Sat the whole opening week here in Michigan and only saw two does. They didnt stay long enough to shoot.

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Not seeing deer, or even normal deer sign. Just too much good feed spread out everywhere, I guess.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
There hiding in the corn fields around here, You might check them if you have them.  :saywhat:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I might add that they will travel long distances just to get to the corn for the short time thats it's ready. That means if you have been seeing them at lets say 7:30 am every morning they might not be coming through till 8:30 am. Doesn't mean there not there but that they have changed there pattern for food.

Happens every year here, They will be back or you can change your pattern too  :)  Also the bigger bucks are all over the place making scrapes and rubs, Hard to pattern them too. Just my opinion !!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by cottonwood:
As soon as people bought into this ridiculous QDM (Quick Doe Massacre) program, the deer hunting went to notning! You can't have the bucks without the does and you can't have the does without the does. Each year I get as many doe tags as I can and pitch them out to save future deer. As soon as everybody realizes the wholesale doe slaughter must stop, the deer herd will materialize. Ask guys in Pa. who hunt an entire season and do not see spit, what they think of QDM! What a scam!!! Cotton
Amen. I hunt 5 days a week for the entire 6 weeks. 100% state forest and state gamelands. I don't do Saturdays. Prior to the great deer reduction plan as per Gary Alt in 2001, I'd see 10-15 deer a week and be happy with that. In 2004, that went down to 3-4 a week. 2005 was still 3-4 a week. 2006 a bust with 5 deer seen the entire season. 2007 I grew bored and only hunted 3 times in Pa.

So far this year I've found more deer than I have since 2002. That's because last years opening day of rifle season was a washout and foggy and saved alot of deer. Especially the button bucks. That's why I'm seeing so many spikes and Ys running around this year.

But yes, the QDM philosophy stinks on public lands. On private land where landowners can control the number of doe killed, and protect the younger bucks, it works great. But on public lands where there is no control over the doe harvest, it stinks. But, seeings how the doe harvest was exceeded by the buck harvest last year in 2G, I think guys are catching on and laying off the doe.        :knothead:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
One week has passed for the Virginia season and I have logged 24 hours in a treestand without any deer sightings. It's tough huntin' in these parts.
N/A

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I haven't been out hunting as of yet but I imagine the amount of crops still in the fields in some areas might be part of the problem. The crops in my area are the reason I have stayed at home.(southern Illinois).
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
I have seen only one deer at a distance from my stand.
Put out a trail cam and have seen 9 different bucks and 4 does all from 10pm to 4am

Why am I not seeing deer?

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Jon read my thread "Banner Year". We'll get them!

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
I've been out three times in the past two days, and on two of the occasions saw exactly 0 deer (the guy I was hunting with had the same experience both times)...last night I went out without him on his property and saw 4, none of which I could shoot (no doe tag) - the kicker: 3 of them presented beautiful broadside shots and were less than 10 yards away.

Such is life I suppose.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
My field report will be brief...Yesterday morning two yotes troted through at 10 yards, one deer bedded in the beans just after sundown one day last week. 11 times out, nothing has been seen.

Hot, dry no deer moving in my area.

Squirrels? Not counting repeat sightings, 30-40 at least from eight different ground and tree stand locations.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
The QDM thing is pretty much what they're doing here in southeastern MA.  Public land gets wiped out while the problem deer live happily in backyards.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Hey Bowless....
                The hunters from New England aren't showing up in this section of Northcentral Pa this year as in years past. The motels and campgrounds used to be full of them for the first week of archery in Pa. This year they are no-shows. Has the word got out up there that Pa stinks now?
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I saw some last weekend up north, but havn't seen one since and it's beginning to frustrate me  :mad:  .

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Gald to know I am not the only one.  Deer sightings are way down where I usually play the game.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Not going to start the QDM debate- but have you guys put out any trailcams to really see how many deer are in your areas?  I hunt central michigan on some pretty big state land plots here.  My trailcams are set a long ways off the beaten paths- and deer sightings are low during daylight hours.  But- my camera doesn't lie- afterdark, the deer are there.  I'm sure the pressure in your area does the same thing here- forces mostly nocturnal movement.... therefore lower sightings while on stands.  I'm all for letting little bucks grow, and harvesting does to help balance herd numbers.  Its just that the states need to manage smaller areas instead of a big block management.....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Hang in there Deathmaster the rut is coming. Sheboygan county could be the worst in the state. Pubiic hunting grounds are totally whipped out.Haven't seen a deer yet.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Here in MT, it's very much a seasonal phenomenon. The first two weeks of the season (early September) are a great time to kill a big buck as the deer are still in their summer feeding patterns. And of course the woods come alive in November. I call the time in between (right now) the "Dead Zone", and usually spend it hunting birds. Having said that, I'm heading out into the coulee to see what I can rustle up with my bow and enjoy our first taste of MT winter (15 degrees, a foot of fresh snow on the ground). Don't worry; the deer are there somewhere. cheers, Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©