3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fair Chase Ethics Question  (Read 392 times)

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fair Chase Ethics Question
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
This is a tough question, and there have been a lot of thought provoking opinions so far.

Hunting ethics is more of a personal thing, based on eachs own experiences and moral compass, and doesn't necessarily equate with what's legal and what's not. 2500 acres is a pretty good size chunk of land, but there are still alot of variables to be considered.

How long has the property been fenced in, and is it actually a "game proof" fence. What's the layout of the base and how much ground is actually open for hunting? Where are you hunting in respect to the fence? Is your closeness to the fence, or it's relationship to some terrain feature [or whatnot] what's governing the animals movement?

These kinds of things, and probably some more I'm not thinking of, could have an effect on whether one thinks it's fair chase or not.

I agree with Biggie on the population control thing. If they're that overpopulated there's other people to deal with it (especially on a Guard base!). I'm a hunter, not an exterminator.

For me, I'd have to pass.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
I'd bet a people proof fence is not a game proof fence.
Deer can go through, over and under things we could not have a prayer getting through.
Walk the fence if you can. I'll bet you find they aren't contained.

Then go hunting with a peacful mind.  :)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Brad@work,

You(not you personally but speaking of bowhunters in a general sense) couldnt exterminate 5 deer in 50 acres in a deer season behind a high fence...if they were trying to exterminate deer they could ONLY use firearms and bait at night.

Otherwise, it just isn't going to happen.

I'll also bet its not a game proof fence if the property has terrain changes. I've seen deer belly crawl through a 3 foot high drain pipe, then walk to a chain link fence in a drainage ditch to get under the wire, coming from a National Park into a subdivision in the evening to eat pansies.

Things often aren't as black and white as we would like them to be.

We as hunters complained to game departments that we needed more deer and more opportunity. Now we have that- and non hunters have cars damaged and lives at risk in certain situations because deer are so successful at reproducing.

We as hunters better find it within ourselves to be a part of the solution to some of these problems before they take the control OUT of our hands and put it in the hands of sharpshooters and contraceptive makers.

Additionally, some folks ONLY have these limited opportunities to hunt because of financial concerns, etc. Better they take advantage of that than sit at home and watch TV I say.

I say do what you feel is right for you. BUT DON'T TRY TO ENTER A BUCK IN THE RECORD BOOK IN MY OPINION, ALSO
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Enjoy it, don't pass up a chance to hunt a new place.If you don't like it ,don't go back.Besides when did "fence" become a four letter word?
  Leland

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Sounds like deer management to me, I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY , if you feel the fence is a problem for you, don't go back!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
I drew a hunt in the Newport Army Ammunitions Depot (west/central IN) several years ago. I can't remember the exact acreage (less than 500 acres I think) or the number of deer that were supposed to be inside the fence, but they were wanting the herd thinned down considerably. Weekend after Thanksgiving, 25 bowhunters- 2 deer killed and 11 deer sighted. Plenty of sign, but they must have known the hiding spots! LOL! The guards there said they have seen deer crawl under the fence all the time and watched them "appear" outside the fence in the crop fields near drainage culverts. I'd say to give it a try. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
The P&Y Club rules of fair chase state that you shouldn't take an animal "While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures."

The way I interpret that point in the rules of fair chase is that the fence cannot take away the animals ability to escape from the hunter. As long as the animal can hide or get away from you I wouldn't worry about the fence. Just hunt someplace that is not near the fence.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Hunt it.  Let's keep our guardsmen and their vehicles safe from marauding deer.  :-)

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
The deer can out smell you out hear you and out run you. Thats fair chase to me 2500 acres is a pretty big area.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
You(not you personally but speaking of bowhunters in a general sense) couldnt exterminate 5 deer in 50 acres in a deer season behind a high fence...if they were trying to exterminate deer they could ONLY use firearms and bait at night.

Ray,
I agree with you here. My point was, if you don't think hunting behind a fence is quite kosher, don't justify it by saying it's for, "population control", because as you said, "it just isn't going to happen".

Also, for the record I didn't say Bill shouldn't go, just said I don't think I would. He was asking for opinions, wasn't he...
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 12:34:00 AM »
I belive I'm the one who said  "Population Control" I was in no way justifing it. I'm not looking for acceptance.  Just stating what needed to be done on the ranch...
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for your opinions and insight.  I have decieded that I am going to go down there and hunt it for a day and really check out the fences and see if they are deer proof.  If they aren't and the deer have plenty of opportunity to "get away" then I will hunt it more.  Just by having me with bow gives the deer an unfair advantage.

Also, thanks everyone.  On other forums you would never get true ethical reasoning.  The world of Trad still gets it.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
I'd give it a try. As long as you're not sitting ove a baitpile,this situation sounds OK to ME.
BD

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
If you are bowhunting on 2500 acres even if the thing was paved and you could see every deer there they would still have plenty of room to get away from you.  :bigsmyl:  

You do as you wish but I would have no problem hunting there.I don't do the record book scoreing mess anyway so that would not be any consideration to me in the first place. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
absolutely, brad...
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
2500 acres is huge.. No ethical issue on my end. I would hunt it and not think twice about it.

If P & Y had an issue about the deer, then they have an issue. I don't think any of your trad brothers would have any issue. They would want a "hunting buddy" invite..LOL
A big buck would not qualify for the book,,, buts thats alright.  No advantage in an area thats almost 4 square miles!!!

Go hunt and shoot straight.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Compared to the areas we have to hunt in Iowa (with no high fences) 2500 acres is huge! The timber I usually hunt is under 150 acres. The deer generally hang around in the same section (640 acres). Granted, they could go farther away, but you are hunting a much larger area, fence or no.

I'd say, go for it. You'd be surprized how many deer can disappear in that 2500 acres.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Hunt it and make sure you close that DAMN GATE!!!  I don't want any combat oriented deer mingling with the local deer herd!!!    :biglaugh:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Unless you get them cornered for an easy shot it is a no brainer.  Go for it.  Although, if you chased them all day (on foot of course) and actually manage to corner one, I would have a hard time saying that you didn't earn it.
oxnam

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JoeM:
close that DAMN GATE!!!     :smileystooges:
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©