3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Must have elk -hunting needs?  (Read 686 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Must have elk -hunting needs?
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
O.K. guys, as many of you know, thanks to the generosity of ELKHERDER, i'll be going on an elk hunt next September to the mountains of Oregon.
I've never hunted anything other than ohio whitetails-----What are some MUST haves for this type of hunt?

I know: camera, film and batteries will be required or i'll probably get kicked off this website  :goldtooth:  

I also figure a good pair of boots ( I only use insulated rubber boots right now, and I don't thinks that will work for mountain climbing).

I'm shooting a 62# recurve using 30" C.E. heritage 350 shafts, 150gr. Magnus Stinger 4bld. broadheads, and an extra 50gr. insert: total weight 600gr.  Enough elk medecine?

Thanks for your input and I'll keep everyone here posted as  time gets closer.

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Must have elk -hunting needs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I'd go the digital camera route.  You can instantly see if you got a good picture or not, rather than finding out a week later back home.  It's also easier to post them on this website and you save money by only printing out the pictures you actually want.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
You'll get a lot of advice and opinions from a lot of folks on this one. I think Dave Petersen is about as an authoritative source as you'll find when it comes to bowhunting elk. He lives and breaths elk hunting ... and they are his year-round neighbors!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=93;t=000366

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Get a copy of G.Fred Asbell's "Stalking and Still Hunting". Lots of good info in there. Train with the pack you will be using and with the weight(or a bit more) you will be carrying and with the boots you will be wearing. Walk as much as you can, pushing yourself on hills to get your heart/lungs a good workout.
   I have always used LL Bean Maine hunting boots and that is what G.Fred recommends but if you are going to hike in a distance you may want a good boot with plenty of support.    Pat
  A good rain suit will come in handy in Oregon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
From what I hear you will want to be in pretty good shape, start working out now if you need some improvement. Atleast that's what I would do. I would be so pumped I would start preparing yesterday!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
I agree with Talondale on the digital camera rather than film camera. You can buy a nice little point and shoot for under $100.00. Your bow and arrow combo are perfect as long as the arrows are flying well. You will definitely want at least a cow call, I would suggest the Hootchie Mama squeeze call unless you are already accomplished with diaphram calls. Don't scrimp on the boots it can ruin a hunt faster than just about anything else. Get in the best shape you can and listen to your guide. Think layers when it comes to clothing as typical elk hunts can be cool to cold in the am and really warm up later in the day. Many times you can experience 80 degree+ weather, rain and snow all in a few days! I would defer to your guide as to any specific equipment recommendations he has for that specific area. One thing to keep in mind is to not get your expectations so high that it gets you mentally down if you are not getting into elk right away. Weather, hunting pressure and many other factors can have a big impact on the type of elk hunt you end up having. Keeping a positive mental attitude is very important! Good luck you are going to have a blast!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
1. Good stiff boots to handle side-hilling steep canyons. Uninsulated because it is more likely to be hot.  Cabelas Meindel Perfekt Hikers worked great for me.

2. Polypropylene or merino wool baselayers to wick away sweat - there will be loads of it. Firstlite ASAT stuff is great. Bass Pro Enduraskin is also great and cheaper.

3. A good mid-size backpack. I use a Badlands 2200 and really like it.

4. Something to carry water. I prefer to use a bladder like a camelback because it is a lot easier to drink quickly and quietly.

5. Your set up is very similar to mine (620 grains with Stinger 4 blades = passthrough)

6. Smartwool socks or similar

That ought to get you started!

Norb
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
A GPS and knowing how to use it is always reassuring when hunting unfamiliar territory.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Congrats by the way, you got yourself a heck of a deal.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
The GPS just now got mentioned.  Don't know what they cost but I've even feel better with my car-version than nothing.  Decent battery life on it.  About 4 hours.  Enough to turn on let it get signal and find your co ordinances and then use a map.

Never elk hunted but aside from all the stuff you wear I think a good pair binoculars would be worth their weight in gold...and some certainly seem to cost as much! lol
Micah 6:8

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here, but the 'getting in shape' ones are probably the highest priority.  Being in really good aerobic condition is paramount to having a good time, unless this is a different kind of elk hunt than I have ever been on. I have never hunted Oregon, but I was out there this summer, and the mountains are densely forested and steep, so the going will probably not be easy, although altitude is less of a problem there than in the Rockies.
I would also recommend a digital camera; they are compact, high quality, and easy to use. I gave up film several years ago after the quality of digitals became so good.
Practice shooting from odd angles; you may have to shoot around brush (or ferns in Oregon).
Have fun and enjoy the experience; elk are wonderful critters that live in awesome country. And, as you hopefully will find out, they are a whole bunch bigger than whitetails, so the pack out is a whole lot of work, unless you are lucky enough to have horses or the big bull dies close to your truck  :D
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Your bow set up should be just fine for elk.  As mentioned, good boots and good socks are high on my list.  If your wheels go out your hunt is over.  And like BBH mentioned, the water bladders like a Camelback are by far the best way to keep hydrated - and that is also important to a good hunt.  

One other thing I use almost constantly while elk hunting is one of the little puff bottles for checking the wind.  Keep the wind in your favor or back out and swing around until it is.

The most important thing you can do to prepare for an elk hunt?  GET IN SHAPE!!!!

Have a great time, and congratulations on being the lucky recipient of a very, very generous offer!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
dont worry about the bow, you are in great shape there.  Practice consistently at awkward angles, as in my experience, elk shots tend to be over/under brush, up/down hills, etc.  More than anything, be in GREAT shape.  THe eagle caps of eastern oregon are no cakewalk, to say the least.  Lots of up and down, high elevation.  Practice hiking/running with a decent pack, will help you be in shape for the hunt.  Good Luck.

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
GET IN SHAPE!!!  People talk about it but really commit yourself to it.  I thought I was in good shape until I was running up and down the mountains on the first day.  Don't skimp on good boots and socks.  Good socks are an absolute must!!!  Get a good comfy pack that has a hydration bladder and a filtration pump came in handy on the long walks.  

Underarmour base layers worked well for me and make sure you are prepared for every season.  We had temps in the 50's in the morning and by lunch we had 2" of snow on the ground.  Practice shooting when your heart is pounding out of your chest and you are out of breath.  GOOD LUCK and have fun.  You will never forget the experience.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
For in base camp - 55 gallon drums for water - no time for fiddling with that once the show starts.
Shower Bags - several - loaded. REAL Food - simple meat & potatoes - if you do this right - you will get stronger on your hunt instead of getting blown out - or progessivly tired.

On you  - water filter (I know this is old school - but I like it) - an empty 1 gallon shower bag (no kidding I use it every day) - gps/compass/map (don't leave camp without em) (load fresh batteries after about the second day) - your own home made granola, jerky, dried fruit

At home before leaving - Dwight Schuh's Mule deer book AND his Elk hunting book. By using his "carry a lite camp on your back" method - you could experience places and action that you would otherwise not see - need to be young and strong - style your game care & camp like his.

I am leaning towards one solid half day (like 3:00 AM to Noon --- OR --- 1:00 PM till midnight - backing off some of those overnight hunts - I'm not young or strong - great idea Whip.

<>< <-----------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
I just got back from CO,arrived August 5th,left September 24th. I camped the entire time in the mountains,10,000 ft. plus. The only boots I wore elk hunting(except the two times it rained) was a pair of high top camo "silent sneakers"-bought them for 30.00 at the Sportsman's Guide. I can't tell you how many miles I logged in but with a pair of "Smartwool" socks they were the ticket. Yes, I took 3 other types of boots out but other than some LL Bean type Goretex over rubber boots the couple days it rained the other boots stayed in camp. Underarmour under BDU style camo was almost exclusively the only hunting clothing I wore. Temps were in the low 30s to mid 40s at 3:30am when I got up and as warm as 55-65 by mid day. I did put on a "Jersees" camo sweatshirt over the UA/shirt a few mornings,then shed it by 10:00am. I don't know how this compares to Oregon,Washington weather,especially if you are hunting the coastal sides. I like the Garmin "Foretrex 101" wrist watch style GPS and have found it a valuable tool to complement the military compass/topo map I carry. I've found the US military "EXTREME" cold weather sleeping bag to be the best BASE camp bag for mountain camping. Cheap,well made, and readily available at surplus outlets. I've not used the wood stove in the wall tent since I changed to this bag. Being is shape is by far the most important factor in  public land mountain hunting,IMO. If you are in shape you can always get away from the lazy "hunters"(term used loosely) that drive around and blow/squeeze elk calls and mess up everyone else's hunting.Good luck!
   http://community.webshots.com/user/rodge1102

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
I would be asking the guy who was generous enough to give you this trip. As I recall he has lots of experience in the Caps. It is rough country on boots. Like others have said get good boots! Don't skimp on these. I like the Asolo hiking boots with Gore-tex liner. Never have they let me down.  Are you carrying everything in on your back or are you guys taking horses or mules?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Oregon is hugely diverse, both in climate and terrain, and there are many ways to hunt the differing areas.  You can park a car on a hwy and walk 300 yds into the woods and kill elk or you can pack in somewhere for a week or more.  So, what you need depends on how and where you will hunt.
I have Asolo Gortex hikers but I hunted all 3 weeks this year in lightweight Columbia lowtops and they were fantastic.
I think your bow/arrow is fine but I, personally, would shoot the heaviest arrow that your bow will throw efficiently out to about 25 yds. and I would shoot narrow, 2-blade broadheads.  But I would not hesitate to use your current setup.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
A set of LUNGS,   :goldtooth:   start today, it will bring you the most from your trip, it wont be anything like Ohio.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Good quality sox.  I prefer the Thorlo Trekking wool sox.  They are built up in the toe/heal and critcal areas. They are comfortable all day long.  Water system, CamelBak, and maybe a personal water filter.  Maps/Compass and a GPS as well as extra batteries.  I also carry a small stove, fuel and cup'o soups.  The stove is a SnowPeak Giga Power that is small enough to fit in a pocket.. Energy bars, TP, 100" of parchute chord, a couple of butane lighters, matches and a spark making device. I also carry a signal mirror, and a flashlight. Knives of course, broadhead tool, small diamond steel.  Small first aid kit... Etc etc..
Damn Nice guy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©