3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Must have elk -hunting needs?  (Read 687 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Must have elk -hunting needs?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
Get a copy of back country bow hunting by Cameron R. Haines. It has a lot of good info on gear and getting in shape. He's a compound shooter but he seems to know his stuff when it comes to getting in shape and what gear works in the field.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Chapstick and yes get in shape you will be sucking for air all the time,and advil for alitutde sickness.I took us 1 1/2 to get use to it.And you are one lucky man to win this trip congrats.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Ben,

Give me a call. We went this year and I have alot of the gear you will need for the trip. You can borrow anything I have for the trip. Pack, sleeping bag, whatever. I also have a new water bladder you can have if you want. We have elk nuts 4-DVD's that I recommend you watch and your welcome to use them. We are only an hour apart so give me a call.(St. Clairsville) I'll PM my number. Find out what equipment you need and I'll get it to you. I have just about everything you might need and your welcome to it. I won't need it again for a couple years. Call me.

Mike

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Being tha this is an outfitted hunt, talk with the guide/outfitter and get a list of "must haves" and "leave homes".  On a horse back hunt less is better if you have the right things.  I don't know if you are hunting the coastal range or the cascades.  The demands are different.

Your bow setup is great for elk.  Don't do a thing there.

GET IN SHAPE. . .NOW!!!  Loose the extra pounds you been want to get rid of and start walking at least a mile every day.  Start today.  Build your work out to peak a week before the hunt.  You want to be walking 3-5 miles a day with your pack at that time.

You will be sucking wind for a few days but you will have legs.

Did I mention that you need to walk. . .Now!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
BTW- Danner Pronghors in 200 gram were the cats meow! Most comfortable boots I've worn in a long time. Don't go cheap on your feet if you can.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Randy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Ben- Like most have said above, get in shape. I thought I was in shape this year until I got my bull on the ground 3 miles back. Then the work began. I was able to cover miles at hunting speed without much trouble but packing that critter out was a different story. I will be better prepared next year. Most of all have fun getting ready for your hunt.

Offline breid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
2 necessities for any hunt involving mountains, aspirin and TP.  For TP take the non-scented baby wipes.  They are dual purpose, you can use for TP and when you start to smell similar to a goat, you can use them to wipe off.
Good boots.  You'll hear a lot of different opinions, but get what you need for support.  I used to swear by stiff leather boots, now I hate them.  I use some that are more like tennis shoes that look like boots.
A good pack that is comfortable and worn in.
I saw bambi too, I got over it.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
You guys are great. Lots of good advice here!
i haven't called Elkherder yet because of my work schedule; planning on calling him Thursday pm.I'll definitly be asking him for a list of "must haves" when I call and be taking his advice on everything---I've been to Oregon when I was in high-school to visit friends. Beautiful country----but it won't be a cakewalk hunt i know. I'm in pretty decent shape right now---just had a physical yesterday----but i know my wind and legs can use some work. I'll be working on those----but first I gotta get through our archery season. i haven't gotten a deer yet with Trad gear----that is going to change this year. I'm moving up----coyote was first Trad kill, aiming for deer now, and hopefully an elk next year!  :archer:  
Boots, socks, and wicking under-layers are a definite must that I'll have to work on for now.

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline AndyTheCornbread

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
I have spent a good deal of time in the Eagle Caps. Awesome country you will be in.

1.) Get in really good shape. No matter how good of shape you are in, go get in better shape. Do a lot of running up hills, steep hills to get your legs used to what you are going to find up there. Run 5 days a week if you can swing it and try to get up to at least 5 miles or more a day. One mile at altitude is going to feel like ten where you are at now e.g. Last year I did some mountaineering in CO at 13K to 14K feet with a group of friends. One of the guys was from Texas and he does ultra marathons (100+ mile runs). We did six miles in snow shoes at 13K feet to get to the base of where we were going and he was feeling the strain by the time we got there. He did fine but at high altitudes even athletes feel the pain. You won't be nearly that high in the Eagle Caps but you will be high enough that being in really good shape is a must.

2.) Get a great pair of boots and put at least 50 miles on them between now and next season so they are fully broken in. Everyone is different but I use Danner Ft. Lewis or White's Dryfoot outdoorsman. Get something you can put a lot of miles on with weight on your back. Some people can do that in low top hiking boots. Other folks like myself need more ankle support. Your mileage will vary. Just make sure they are very high quality boots. You can make do and patch up most other gear but if your boots give out on you or give you blisters your feet will take you out of a hunt faster than anything else. You can even hunt if you get food poisoning or the flu but if you can't walk you can't hunt up there.

3.) It sounds like this is an outfitted trip but you will need a day pack for your hunts out of camp. Get a good one and like your boots put at least 50 miles on it before you go. Fill it full of everything you will need for a days hunt and enough stuff to spend a night if you get stuck some where and then put those 50 miles on it so you have it all adjusted for being under load.

Your outfitter should be able to tell you most everything else but here are some things I have found to be quite valuable up there over the years.

A boonie cover. It gets really sunny up there and at altitude you feel the sun bad and it will burn your face and ears to a crisp. Even with sunblock the sun beating on your head can give you diarrhea or sun sickness so wear a hat and not a baseball cap those are about worthless. The more shade your hat gives you the better and make sure you can shoot with it on. So practice while wearing it.

A gazillion SPF sunblock, seriously the higher the better. I use 80 SPF and I'd use higher if I could find it.

There is this stuff in a tin that you can use for chapstick/windburn blocker/sun block/ that is made for mountaineering called "Dermatone" it comes in a round blue tin with a Swedish flag on it. Kind of tastes like carmex but throw a small tin of that in your day pack and leave your chapstick at home.

A camel back and a backpacking water purification pump. Seriously you can go for days on water alone if you get lost in the mountains but it is also nice to have water all day long and you can refill when you stop near any water source if you get a good pump so you can get a long ways from camp without worrying about running low.

and always remember:
Drink water all the time as long as you are awake. If you aren't urinating once an hour with clear non-colored urine then you aren't drinking enough. The altitude and the dry atmosphere will suck water out of your body faster than you can replace it especially if you are exerting yourself and you won't realize it because the evaporation happens so fast up there you feel cool. So you must force yourself to drink at least a quart to two quarts of water per hour if at all possible. If you remember nothing else on this trip, remember this one thing, pound water at every opportunity.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Gear is fun to talk about and there are a few things you have to have but most of it is debatable.  I have found that the less I focus on gear, the better elk hunter I have become.  That's because gear won't make you an elk hunter.

Must haves in the gear department:

- Shelter, including clothing.

- Water, use iodine tablets with the neutralizing tabs.

- Food

- license and tag

- bow and arrows

Must haves in the elk hunting department:

First off, forget everything you know about hunting whitetails.  It will not help you much in elk hunting unless you are hunting ag land with relatively unpressured elk that haven't been bumped from a routine.  You gotta move.  That means you gotta be in shape or have a horse.  Train for your game.  Focus on pack work and hiking in the biggest hills you can find.  Lose weight.  Fortunately, you will ahve a mentor and guide.  That is irreplaceable.  Listen to them.

Above all, have fun and enjoy the anticipation.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
The best quality socks you can find.  Smartwool or Thorlos or...?
Strong legs and high capacity lungs.
Lots of water.  I also drop a "Nuun" (noon) tablet in every once in a while.  It efferevesses and provides a lot of electrolites without a lot of sugar (like gatorade does).  
patience.  patience.  patinec.  
I don't know if I agree with an above comment on the stiff boots for a couple reasons.  I use, and have for the past several years, a pair of LLBean slip on Miane hunters.  They work terrific.  Side hills, up hills, downhills, flats... But then again, I have never sprained an ankle and have no ankle problems.  Also, stiffer boots lead to more noise.  The choice, of course, is up to you, but make sure the boots (and your feet) are broken in.  
And lastly, one of my secrets to an enjoyable elk hunt is tylonol PM.  A coule every night makes your aches and pains go away, helps you sleep and wake refreshed.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
I stayed up all night last night- listening to the elk bugle on the river below my cabin. When I go elk hunting; it can start out from the cabin; and can end up looking down on it like its an ant.

What happens then is I start out with just the basics and go where I want to go - and that could be into a dangerous situation.

What I take with me everytime I go out is critical to my survival. I have the basics down pretty good.

First off everyone that mentioned water is right on. Dehydration is a big threat. You might take water and run out- or not drink it so you don't run out-- and then your blood can thicken.. and your in trouble. So - although a water carrier is good; you should carry a water filter system. You can get a filter straw that fits in your pocket for ten bucks. You don't even have to take it out of the package until you need it. More involved systems take up more room; what you have in your pockets is most likely to save you.

One of or two of those foil emergency blankets. They are not meant to be unfolded until they are used - but are small and you can make a leanto out of one and sit on the other in a pinch.

A sierra cup. Heating up tea or instant coffee; or soup- hot food or drink has a settling effect on a persons mind- do not underestimate the importance of that.

A cigarette lighter ( they will not work when cold)I carry one and also a magnesium (sp) type lighter.
 WARNING: you can sit next to a fire and warm up if your wearing wool- but if your wearing poly - you can melt it long before you get warm. Fire is a friend in heating water up for tea or food; and moral support; but if your dressed right; and you stay dry- you can make it through a bad night. The leanto can reflect heat to you; and evergreen branches or something for insulation under you can be your best bet in a bad situation.

And really its the unexpected bad situation that you need to think about. You can live in your camp or your truck- but twist an ankle in the middle of nowhere; and what you have on you determines how or if you will survive!!

I take a gps. I mark where I start; and points I will EASILY recognise when your 'lost' or 'confused' - or your injured and can't think from the pain. While your better off staying put with an injury and making a fire - it might be safer to walk out.

If you do find yourself not being found in a lost or injured situation- start a tree on fire. That is right; start a big old spruce tree or pine on fire- that will bring attention ! You can apologise when your alive later on.

a fold up parka. that fits into your pocket. If it rains - you can stay dry.

A section of parachute cord. Enough to make the leanto with and to tie up elk or deer quarters with.

A knife - a simple fold up will work- I carry that and a big enough knife on my belt to cut and chop with- for firewood or whatever.  The best knife would have a bone saw on the back.

I take a file too; as that is what I use to resharpen my broadheads and knife(s).

I have a catquiver that has additional stuff; like cans of spam ( eeww) and unopened packets of matches and tea etc that come in MREs. And in my quiver pack I have a saw for cutting pelvic bones and rib bones on elk.

***Its the basics that you have in your pockets though that are most likely to save you in an emergency - the space blankets; the fire starter; the poncho;the water filter; the sierra cup ( if that will not fit in pocket- then fold up some aluminum foil- it can be made into a cup); some instant coffee or tea in packets. Stuff that can stay in a pocket for years.***

For camp - I want a cot; a foam pad; and a canvas sleeping bag cover. I woke up one time in a tent that sprung a leak in a bad storm; to find a puddle of water on my canvas sleeping bag cover- yet I was safe and warm inside... it takes up the rating of your sleeping bag; but it has enough air circulation that even in minus 35 weather that perspiration will not accumulate in your sleeping bag and make you cold.

Boots? I vote for broken in ones; water proof ones. My next boot purchase will be rubber bottom leather tops; and will be tall enough have ankle support.

Getting in shape is a good idea; when you see a herd of elk over a ridge; you will push yourself harder than you ever thought you could. NO drill sergeant in the world- could make you do what you will make yourself do: when you are working in on that trophy bull.

I know this last one is going to sound odd; but those that know me; know it comes with the territory... in any case that you might be in snow-  wear over or instead of underwear- swimming trunks. They will not let water in; and if you cut a hole in the front- you can still do what you need to. If your ever in the snow; and sit down and get your butt wet- it will be wet for a long time; and in an emergency- like an overnight camp- it can demoralize you to the danger level. Most trunks have netting inside to keep things cool; and keep chafing not an issue.

Laugh at all this; but if your out there with a twisted ankle; or stuck after dark-- you will think back on this and wish you had the basics- guaranteed.

Its great in the mountains; but when the sun goes down your not likely to see a single light; even if you saw for twenty miles in each direction before the sun went down- its called 'when the elephant gets you'. Be prepared for it !!

And have fun   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
Great stuff here! I'm thankful for everyone's advice and taking it to heart. I plan on calling Elkerder tomorrow and get a list from him of what I difinitely need to bring.  Some of this gear I'll hopefully be able to borrow, and some of these basics that are being mentioned, I should have already, but don't because I keep putting it off, so this is a great excuse to start picking them up here and there.

Another question that I've been tossing around in my head:  Best way out----just fly out and hope the airline doesn't lose or damage my bow, or drive out, counting about 3 days out and 3 back for drive time?  What do you think?

thanks
Ben
Ben
Browning Wasp 45#

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
that is one for those that have done both   :)  

goody goody bo beat woody

:bigsmyl:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
On the method of travel - I am working to answer that same question (Georgia to Colorado to Georgia). No clear answer yet - factors being considered, which might not apply to your situation, including the time factor you mentioned:

-4+ days travel time (out and back) if driving versus 2 days (out and back - includes getting to and from airport at both ends) if flying.
-Plane ticket cost (including oversized/additional baggage) versus 3200 miles of gas @24 mpg plus 2 days motel rooms(at least) if driving.
- Wear/tear costs on vehicle if driving
- Cutting gas costs via carpooling
-Limited gear on plane (even with additional baggage) versus bring everything when driving
- Transportation at destination if flying - especially if there is a need to change basecamp
- Getting 150+ pounds of meat home if flying

I am sure there are more factors to consider.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
I've heard some actually UPS their bow. Just make sure you ship early enough. The airlines are probably ok...it's just that you hear some stories that makes you wonder. We went to Hawaii and my wifes bag went to JAPAN! Good thing she only needed a swimsuit!

One year I hunted the Caps and killed a nice muley buck. I flew out of Minam Lodge on a dirt runway. The pilot asked me if I was bringing my bags (bow and duffle) or the deer...we brought the deer! The guys at the lodge sent the other stuff UPS.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »
Driving sucks, especially if you are alone.  Flying sucks because it is more expensive, depending on what you drive, and you have to ship your stuff there (don't trust the airlines).  Plus, if you don't have a vehicle or guide waiting for you, you have to rent a car.  I have a friend who lives in Idaho so I don't have to rent a car when I get there.

I have done both and have flown the last 4 times.  I don't have the vacation time to spare so the lesser of 2 evils wins out for me.  If I had my 'druthers, I'd spend a week driving out there at my own pace.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 60 winters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Be in the best shape you can be. Use a pack board or good pack and put 45-60 lbs in it and and get to walking with some up hill in the route. No hills, then go to a place to where there are steps and work out an hour a day. You will be amazed how this will enhance your ability to handle the hunt. Shoot- shoot- shoot shoot in your hunting gear, everything. Well broken in boots are a must. There are many other things to consider clothing etc. but without these basics in place you can have a camp full of stuff you can't use because you can't handle it physically.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I  would like to drive just to see the country----I got plenty of vacation time as as long as i don't bid off my current job of 12 hr. days 3-4 days a week----this schedule really allows me to s-t-r-e-t-c-h my vacation days.  BUT, I think I could probably fly cheaper --- still gotta talk to Elkherder, I'll get his input too.

Gotta build my lungs up--I've got some pretty rough hills to practice climbing this spring and summer----alot of reclaimed strip mines around here----not the rockies to be sure, but better than nothing.

Ben
Ben
Browning Wasp 45#

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
Flying / Driving: I have done both - Fine for Mule Deer hunting because we traditionally used back pack camps - boned out our deer up in snow meadows - traveling was easy. I would never fly for elk - too much camp - too much work ----- though working with a friend or outfitter to drop camp you could work for you allowing you to fly. Cost benefit: Never could find any large enough to swing me one way or the other - NC to Uta, NM, CO, ID & back. I do like 3 hunters for driving though - cost is better, drive time (each) is very workable, and you do not need to stop.
<>< <------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©