3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf strap on....?  (Read 496 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf strap on....?
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
Looks like I am going to break down and buy a tree stand. Climbers are out of the question,(I climb telephone poles for a living and there is no way I would trust my life to those designs. Some of the fall arrests harnesses that come with the stands are a joke also.)

I want a lock on or a strap on with a set of climbing sticks.

Right now I am looking at these:
Family Tradition
  http://www.familytraditiontreestands.com/LockOn.html  
Game Tamer TS1
  http://www.gametamers.com/tree-stand-ts1-p-9.html?cPath=cPath  
Lone Wolf Elite
  http://www.lonewolfstands.com/shoppingcart/Products/Elite-Hang-On-Stand__EHOS.aspx  
I really like the backpack setup on the Lone Wolf but I can get a backpack for the others and strap them on that.
I am 6' and 250lbs..I want a big deck like on these models. I was just out on a friends and it was a tiny little thing, I'm use to climbing 40' at work when needed and 20'-25' is normal. His was at 25' and I was real uneasy the whole time. Didn't like it one bit. Not to mention the cloth seat tore on me and if it wasn't for the fact I tied myself off with a small piece of rope I would have came out of the thing. He told me he had a harness but when we got out there he didn't.
I took a chance and it almost cost me a serious fall...never again!

Anyways  nuff of the that, what worries me about the Lone Wolf is the thin wire they use to support the deck I know it is probably rated for a 1000 lbs but I don't care I hear of them breaking and I want to see a chain or a much thicker wire there. Anyone heard of or had experience with these cables/wires breaking?

I don't care about weight per say, the Lone Wolf is light compared to the other two but safety and comfort take presidents over weight for me.

This will be used mostly on public land where they have to come down every time by law not to mention I'd like to keep it and there are too many thieves where I will be hunting.

What is your opinion of these 3 stands?
Any other stands you guys know of that use chain or steel arms for deck support?

And while we are at it, what about a set of climbing sticks? I'm looking at the rapid rails.
  http://www.ameristep.com/treestands/7100_rails.html  

TIA
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf strap on....?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
i use the lone wolf alpha...i'm not as big as you, but i do like more security than most loc-ons give me.  i take a product called "rope-ratchet" with me.  When i hang my stand, i add the rope ratchet as an added safety measure.  It goes on and off quickly and they make several different models according to how much weight you want to support.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
At 230, I haven't felt anythign but secure in my Alpha.

Great stand.  Easiest thing in the woods to put up and take down, too.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm 220 and feel secure in my Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
i take a product called "rope-ratchet" with me. When i hang my stand, i add the rope ratchet as an added safety measure. It goes on and off quickly and they make several different models according to how much weight you want to support
Thx...I'll google them and look into it. I was thinking you could do a homemade addition to Lone Wolf deck with chain or rope just for that reason.

Light Bulb!
I use a flat nylon rope at work called "Mule Tape"
2500 lbs breaking strength. I can just tie a couple pieces of that on and I'd feel better about it...I don't know what it is but I just don't like looking down at those skinny wires knowing my life depends on them. I'ved pulled 4wd out of the mud with that Mule tape and it weighs next to nothing.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
 This will be used mostly on public land where they have to come down every time by law not to mention I'd like to keep it and there are too many thieves where I will be hunting.
Your gonna be lot's happier with the Lone Wolf IMO.  250lbs isn't much weight for those cables.  I use their Assault w/ 4 sticks regularly.  It's one of my favorite pieces of hunting equipment.

I use   these   for leaving up during season.  Lockable, probably the strongest stand on the market.  Not to mention one of the easiest and most solid to secure to a tree.  I hang and lock them, using Rapid Rails to access them.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
I love the Lone Wolf stands. I used to have a LW sit and climb but I've found the hang on with sticks to be a more versatile and secure setup. I weigh a little less than you but the stand is rock solid.

To answer your question about failures in the stand. I ran a fairly high volume archery shop for two and half years. We sold a lot of stands and I talked to a lot of people. In my time there I never heard of a Lone Wolf stand failing.

I also hunt public land and have to setup/ takedown my stand every day. It's a very easy system to use and very versatile. I've found I can setup nearly as fast as my climber but I can get into better setups because I'm not limited to perfectly straight trees.

Chris

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Nothing but Lone Wolf here, love the ease of set up!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Lone Wolf stand and sticks here as well.  They pack together like peanut butter and jelly  :thumbsup:   silent, strong, and easy to use.  You won't be dissapointed.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Hook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Another satisfied Lone Wolf customer.I own four of them and have been very satisfied with both the safety and QUIET of these stands. If you are still concerned about safety check out Screaming Eagle stands, or Chippewa wedge lock stands those babies are built!!!

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
I'm 225 right now, and use the $50 cheapie from Wal-Mart made by Ameristep.  I would like to try one of the Lone Wolf stands, but just can't bring myself to spend that much.  Guess I'm out of touch with the times.  FWIW I feel plenty safe and secure in mine, always wearing a safety harness.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
I own an LW Alpha, and the deck feels like a dance floor to me - it's huge.  I do like the way it packs down and the integration with the LW Climbing sticks is perfect.

If price was an issue before I bought it, or should I need a backup stand, I'll be buying one of these:

http://www.gomuddy.com/products/1

I saw them in person, and I think they're a fantastic stand for the price.  Just as stable and quiet as the LW, just a bit heavier.

Another thought, the steel cable supporting the deck is rated for at least 900#, where as the nylon strap securing the stand to the tree is rated to ~800#.
Support the sport!

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Screaming eagle or the gametamer(buddy of mine just bought one and man is it sweet), large platforms and rock solid !!!!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
I have the Lone Wolf Elite. Bigger platform than the Alpha and it doesn't weigh much more than the Alpha (if the extra 8 lbs will matter to you better get to the gym-  :)  . I really like the extra space and the ability to step forward for the shot in comfort if you need to! I weigh 230 and it doesn't even creak or wobble if you hang it right.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Chippewa (sp) wedgelock stands are as safe and stable as you will find. Pretty neat attachment system! I have owned Lone Wolf and they are of fine quality....I just don't particularly care for them. I have a few Gorilla strap-on stands rated at 300# and they are very comfortable and stable. I buy them at the local farm supply store after hunting season for about 1/2 price. I hang several each season and if one happens to end up in someone elses possesion, I am not out too much. Check out the wedgelocks if you plan on having just one stand and moving it from site to site. Oh, I use the Gorilla climbing sticks too. They are quite a bit heavier than the Lone Wolf sticks, but I find these easier to use. The Lone Wolf steps are too narrow for me. Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Lonewolf is the way to go. You name it and my group has tried them. Everyone of us has several Lonewolfs, mostly the alphas. All the others we leave in trees and don't care if someone steals them. The Lonewolfs are our go to stand, always one in back of truck. We have some nearing 15yrs old never had any cable issues. We do replace the straps every couple years and recommend doing so.
hunt it

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Mike,
It looks like you are looking for a stand that is safe and secure, comfortable, light enough and easy to carry in and set up everytime you hunt. For me there would be only one choice (if you have the trees where you hunt to use them), that would be a climber!! I like the sit and climb models from lone wolf, summit and Loggy. You said you have been up in your friends hang on and it sounds like you didn't like it much, have you tried a good climber?

Steve

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Joker,
Like I said in my first post "climbers are out of the question" No I've never used one but I've seen them up close and watched a guy use one(Lone Wolf)they just look way too dangerous to me. I'm sure they aren't or they would be taken off the market but I just wouldn't feel comfortable using one. Plus I think they kind of limit you to the type of tree you can use and you are going to have to cut branches in a lot of cases.(too much work)

The reason I didn't like my buddies was the platform was so dang small, seat too. The platform was just a little bigger than my two feet and my knees were about under my chin when sitting.(exaggeration)

I've climbed telephone poles for 27+ years and  have only fallen once. All my co-workers have fallen numerous times cause they take short cuts, use faulty equipment or get in a hurry. I am very picky about my equipment and what I trust my life and well being on. I know what it's like to fall from 18'. It happens so fast you are on the ground before you know what happened. I was lucky and landed in the mud and wasn't hurt at all except for the wind being knocked out of me.

I going to have to get a lock-on/strap-on and I will probably use a couple extra straps with what ever one I get.

I'm not liking the fall arrest harnesses I'm seeing either. The vest are nice but too freaking hot for around here and the other light weight web ones would be fine for wearing but you wouldn't want to fall and hang in one for very long. It would really hurt "the boys" plus they can kill you also. I use to teach bucket truck safety and had to hang from fall arrest harness to demonstrate them. The attachment at the back of the neck is not the best place to have it either I would much prefer one like a wear at work that is in the middle of the back with heavy duty nylon webbing. I'd use one of those but all the connections are metal and it would be a noisy nightmare. I'm looking for one with the attachment in the middle of the back instead towards the top of the neck. It would much more comfortable to lean out over the stand against it built like that.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Mike,

I can relate to you because I have for the first time last year hunted in tree stands, I always hunted on the ground before that.

When I started looking for tree stand for my own use, to my research it came down to the Lone Wolf
Alpha, I like it for these reasons,

1 the teeth on the back of the stand, there's more of them, it's wider so I can use it on a variety of trees.

2 the 350 lb. rating, and I was told that it was unofficial by someone at the company that I agreed not to name, there stands, and probably most companies do the same, are tested at twice and sometimes three times the weight that they rate the stands at.

3 the service, when I purchased my first stand I was missing that easy hanging system, they had one to me in two days.  Great customer service.

4 the best reason I like the stand it's comfortable and quiet, of course I've added cushioning to the seat.  But I have sat for hours 4,5,6, hours on end.

Last year was my first year to Hunt tree stands, they were not my stands, they were a variety of different companies, mostly the cheaper end.
I had the privilege of hunting 42 acres, with 18 stands set up on a land.  All last year I was assigned a tree stand to hunt in.  There were climbing sticks of just as many varieties in each of those stands.

When I made my personal choice for climbing sticks, I chose the Lone Wolf climbing sticks, they are light, and easy to use, and very easy to pack in with your stand.

Personal choice, if I have the option to hunt on the ground, I choose the ground over the tree stand, simply because I'm better at it, because I have done it for so many years.

But I do see the advantage of the tree stand, visibility for one, and to some extent scent control.  But you still have to play the wind in the tree stand.

One suggestion if you're hunting public land, if you shoot a deer, take the time to pack your stand, and then go and look for your deer, because if you do it in reverse, your stand may be missing when you get back, public land is no picnic sometimes, take the time to do twice as much as the next guy, because most of the people that on public land won't do the work for the deer.

I will also tell you I have used to sit and climb, best climber out there, for me, who has never used tree stands until last year, that's saying a lot.  If I had trees that would accommodate my hunting area I would have a Lone Wolf set and climb.  But the Alpha tree stand, and climbing sticks are the best combination you can get.  And the best thing you can do, is get yourself a HSS (hunter safety system) and linemen,s belt.  I use the hunter safety system, because I haven't found a decent safety harness that comes with any tree stand that you purchase.

The biggest thing you're going to have to do, is trust the equipment you use, it's easy to say on this end.

Good luck in your choice, and remember, it's supposed to be fun !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
My only stand is the lonewolf, I have 4.They are nice. I use the saftey harness once in a while, but like the sop better.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©