3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Re: Re: The now-missing Buffalo Penetration Thread  (Read 178 times)

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re: The now-missing Buffalo Penetration Thread
« on: October 07, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Derrick, I was expecting that thread to go missing; because it was with a compound. None the less, the video link was interesting, but that penetration is not at all surprising. The penetration shown is not noticeably different to the penetration I'm getting with 790 grain, Internally Footed EFOC arrows with the Modified Grizzly on the Asian Buffalo, from the 82#@27" straight-end longbow - at less than 39 foot-pounds of kinetic energy.

That testing was reported in the 2007 Update, Part 3.  http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2007update3.pdf   There will be photos of a couple of those shots in the next (and last in the 2007 series) 2007 Update, Part 8; to be posted in a few more weeks.

If the bow used in that video were to use the same arrow mass and broadhead as shown, but in an EFOC design, he would be looking at pass through hits on those back of the shoulder shots. That's not based on pure speculation. In this year's testing I had some near-pass-through shots on trophy-size bulls with the 82# straight-end longbow. Those you can to read all about right here on TG; whenever I can get the data from the 2008 testing compiled and summarized.

If I recover from the back op in time for some 2009 Buffalo testing, I’m expecting some total pass-through hits from the 82# longbow, as I move into testing of Ultra-EFOC arrow setups with it. The first Ultra-EFOC testing on buffalo was done this year, with a 40# Recurve, and it gave some startling results.

In case you want a comparison, and I’ve hunted, killed and tested on both the Asian and Cape Buffalo; the Asian Buffalo is both larger and more difficult to penetrate that the Cape Buffalo.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=93;t=000366

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©