3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Carbon Arrow Question  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Carbon Arrow Question
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

I am new to traditional archery and have a 62" 51# @ 29" 62" recurve and am wanting to try some carbon arrows.  I am shooting 2016 aluminum arrows right now.  I am thinking of trying beman 500 @ 29" w/ 100 grain inserts and 125 point.  What do you think?  Thanks for the help!

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Carbon Arrow Question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:16:00 AM »
fling um'
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Mike Byrge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
For me that arrow would not be stiff enough.  500 spine ST eastons with the standard insert and 125gr head are too weak for my 49@29 Bob Lee Recurve. (29.5" arrow)

The 400's or CX 250's cut to 29.5" with the standard insert and 160 points work well for me though.

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
having shot the bemans, I would agree with Mike go to the 400s ,  with the 400s you can always add weight up front to decrease spine, but with the 100 grn insert and 125 you should have some where around 522 total grn or slightly over 10gpp and should be real close right off the rip for your set up., The 500 may leave you hanging with a low weight after proper tuning.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks Guys!!!!

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey, just a quick update I shot the 400 bemans/w 100 grain brass inserts w/ 125 grain fieldpoint bareshaft tonight and they flew very erratic mostly up and down.  They are penetrating the target nock point WAY high.  Is this something I can tune out or do I need to look at the arrow.  Thanks Again

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
The 500 would be a better choice, the 400 even with 225 up front will be stiff. I shoot the 400s out of my 63# bows which are cut 3/16ths. past center, Featherbuster is correct. Fling the 500s. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
check out the carbon express 150 heritage line.
talk to john at sipsey river traditional archery.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
You Guys are awesome thanks!

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
One More Question!  I really like the looks of the CE heritage arrows.  If I go with the 150's would I need to put the 100 grain brass insert in?  I want to go with a 125 gr field point. I just re-read my original post and I made a mistake my bow is a 51# @ 28".  Would the 150's be right for me.  I am looking at these or the Beman 500's.  Thanks Again

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
Ryan,
I'd guess you're on the "bubble". I shoot 46# and Axis/Beman 500's  cut to 29-5/8ths with 200 grains up front, but I actually draw 27.5". If you draw 28" or less you may be able to tune that combo by shortening arrow length.  If you actually draw >28", you may run out of arrow and the 400's would be required.  I trial pack of Axis shafts at multiple spines from 3 Rivers may help take out the guess work.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
I'd really like to try carbons, but after reading all the carbon posts, (like this one), I guess I won't. To me, there's just too much messing around to get them to fly right ;, First you have to find the correct shaft, and the differnt companies all have differnt numbers for differnt spines which is very confusing. Then you have to- add weight tubes, cut off a 1/4 at a time, finding the correct weight points,brass inserts, etc.
I believe in the KISS method of shooting. I seal my woodies, cut them to my length,taper them ,add nocks & fletch them, add 125 grain tips and I'm done.
Guess that requires alot of steps too, but I've been doing it for so long it's simple, and cheaper.

I'm not knocking carbons, I just think that for me they sound like too much of a hassle.

Any thoughts, am I wrong?

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Ryan... I'd talk to John at sipsey river.  You can use the gold tip internal screw in weight system to play with point weight.  But, Im guessing you will be able to spine out with a 125 grain point. You'll just need to tune by cutting a 1/4 inch off at a time.  John will be able to put you in the ball park. I love the ce150 shaft. I'm guessing you would be looking at a 29" arrow.  The 150's are 10 grains per inch. good luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Ia Hawkeye... carbons in general are too stiff. So you have to play around with cutting a bit off at a time to tune. Carbons dont mind alot of point weight to weaken the spine. But I think you will find with the ce150 that isn't as necessary. It really just depends on your set up. It really shouldnt take much to get you in the ball park.  Plus these carbons are heavier at 10 grains per inch. In the future im going to be shooting carbons for stumpin and woods for hunting and 3-d. Carbons are just so durable!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Ya may get away with the 50 grain brass insert and 125 point. I am shooting some 500s at 29"s out of 52# at 28" recurve with 175 up front, this bow is cut well past center though. Leave them a bit long and cut back slowly until ya get the flight ya want. You will want to add at least that much up front otherwise the completed arrow will be awful lite. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ryan D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

Just an update,  first thanks for all of your help!  I ended up buying some 500's (cause that is all the archery shop had)  I still want to try the CE 150's.  I tried with the 100 grain insert and without at 29"  The 500's with the 100 grain brass inserts and a 125 grain point fly awesome.  I fletched them up shortly after that and they are flying just like my 2016's.  Thanks again.

Offline Grizz 53

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Ryan, I shoot Beman 500 ics in a full 31 inch arrow shooting 48lbs at a 29 inch draw and they fly great. I shoot a 125 grain head. I tried to shoot a heavier head and got weak spined real quick. Could probably cut my arrow back and stiffen the spine but I like the way they shoot now so I'm going to leave it alone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©