3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best States for all-around Hunting.  (Read 702 times)

Offline j yenney

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best States for all-around Hunting.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
I can't think of a better place than Wyoming. If hunting is your pasion then it's a great place.You can live in,on or beside the moutains, tons of public land also. The hunting is fairly long as you can hunt from August 15th to December 31st, for some kind of game animal. Then hunt varmints the rest of the year. But probally more importantly is the Job Selection here. There are more good paying jobs that need filled than anywhere I can think of. And no state tax. The Michagan people must think so also, there starting to flood in here by the truck loads!!!!!!!!!!!
j yenney

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Wyoming has jobs, unlike a lot of places. Where I live, I can hunt whitetails, mule deer, antelope, elk, bear and turkeys within a few minutes from home, not to mention grouse, pheasants, rabbits and predators. Fishing is world class. As Jacob said, we are getting lots of Michiganders who are moving for the jobs.
Please, don't tell your friends! We who live here want Wyo to stay like it is!  :D
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Id flip a coin between Utah or Wyoming.And then if the coin rolled down the sewer before I saw what side won Id go to Reno.From there you could be in the best hunting country in the world within a days drive.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
California is a blue state!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Id carefully visit Utah before moving there. Ive traveled around a the US a bit motorcycling and camping. Its the only place outside of larger cities where the average person just wasnt friendly.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Kingwouldbe makes a good case for California, But how come my Elk woods are way too full of Cali pickup plates during Elk and Deer season here.
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Indiana.....our bag limit on deer is around 400/year  :D

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
ya couldnt drag me to Kalifornia with a Peterbuilt!  :readit:

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm 25 miles east of St.Louis, lots of jobs opportunities in industry and manufacturing around here.  If you are willin to commute 45 min. or so to work theres lots of fresh air and "back porch privledges" to be had. I couldn't live over there in St.louis either. But you could find a town you'd be comfortable with over here and if you get the right job you can afford to go hunt those other places anyway.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
For sheer enjoyment of the outdoors with plenty of open spaces to hunt and fish, one would be hard-pressed to find a state better than Montana or Wyoming.  However, when you're not doing that, these places can be bleak. (I lived in Montana for two years and long periods of below 0 weather or heat in the summer can have its toll).  

One other place not mentioned that has a lot going for it is South Dakota.  It's liberal hunting seasons, abundant game, superior fishing, lots and lots of public lands, and friendly people make it very attractive.

It's great to live in a country like ours where our outdoor activity choices are almost endless.  New Jersey to California or Michigan to Georgia, there's lots of game and fish to be sought.
Lon Scott

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
Um Dave, Canada is a country and a real big one. Just an FYI. And anyone that thinks Michigan is the palce to be, I just don't see it. Only thing we got going is Canada is real close by.
lll

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
As far as Ohio goes we got lots of deer and as you can see from Bens pic real big ones   :)   but deer and turkeys are pretty much it.  As far as an all around hunting state not Ohio

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I'm sort of with Biggie. Georgia's neighbor Florida has year round hunting for hogs, a generous 2 deer per day limit with no season limits. A long deer season at about 4 months per zone and if you travel bewteen zones you can find deer hunting from Early Sept to the end of Feb. Again the hogs are year 'round on private lands. No place in Florida is more than 70 miles from the coast and fantastic fishing can be had in every county. We have ample public lands as well.
DonD

Offline Dozer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
ALASKA!!!
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I'm gonna have to say either Nebraska or South Dakota- Lots of game, mostly friendly folks. I moved to Nebraska about ten years ago and can't really see leaving since I am in the heart of it all. Since I too am recently single and a single parent I'm moving soon closer to the center of Nebraska but finding work has been the biggest problem so far, but you can live on a lot less in the midwest so the way I see it I've got at least 20 more years of good hunting left in me and I'm going to spend it in a place I can provide for my son and do the things I enjoy. I could not live in the concrete jungles that exist today with all the people and traffic and filth, oh yeah I pee when and where I want out here....... it's great- follow your heart
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Just the normal Halloween crazyness that college kids do... LOL   No arrests..

I did choose Idaho as my 1st choice but a close 2nd would be South Dakota.. Beautiful and a LOT of empty space and plenty of "stuff" to bowhunt. I hunted in SD this August. The closest town of any size (that had a wal-mart) was 90 miles on way... Big country..
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
If not in the US then British Columbia without a doubt.. Moose, Elk, Mulies, whitetail, black bear, grizzly, mountain lion, sheep, ect,,ect... What a place. BC is a bowhunting paradise. That word is overused but pails the description of BC...
By far the most beautiful country I've ever hunted. I never usually hunt a state/province twice. Except for BC, I go back Ocotber of 2009. It is so awesome that everyone even if not hunting should go at least once in a lifetime.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
Alabama

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
GA, SC, NC are all hard to beat if you ask me for the same reasons Biggie gave.  There's a wide variety of game and if you have access to private lands here in SC with a hog population you can hunt year round.  Other than that there is game in season at least 8 months throughout the year.  I believe GA to be a much better trophy deer state (I sure wish some of them bucks would cross the river to the lease my dad and I have that runs up to Lake Russell).  If I were free to move, GA would be where I would go.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Another vote for Cali.. I have been in construction here for 30 years, I'm a civil engineer, and during all the booms and busts I've always had work. There is all the hunting King mentioned plus fishing from brook trout to marlin not to mention mountain ranges, the ocean and deserts. I think you should consider moving to an urban area where you can get a better job, stick it out for 5 years or so, build up your resume and then, if you want, move to a rural area with a bit of experience which will make you more employable. Plus if you have a good job you can afford to travel and check out some of these recommendations!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©