3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How I tune a bow, from an oldtimer  (Read 6908 times)

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How I tune a bow, from an oldtimer
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Boy Danny, times have changed since you last posted on this thread shootin carbons and all.

I got your formula a while back from someone else when trying to find some arras to shoot outta a widow i used to own. This formula worked and saved me a lot of headache.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I have a set of POC arrow shafts cut to my standard 28.5" with 125 points and no feathers in spines from 45-100. I shoot these starting at my guestimated spine using a similar formula to Danny's. I try a couple spine ranges up and down to see how they fly. Then I switch to some fletched arrows of the best flying bare shafts and see how they fly.

There is a big difference in cut past center, center and out from center bows. The center and past center bows shoot arrows nearly straight and the out from center bows like double shelf and self bows have a great deal of archers paradox, that is bend and recovery. With the archers paradox is is more important that the arrows hit where they are pointed.

Perfect arrow flight is hard to reach but is beautiful when you get there - a clean wobble free spiral to the target. You will know it when you see it.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Forgot all about this post,LOL.

Yeah Jim,once I started shooting AD trads I was hooked. Between those and the older carbonwoods, tough to beat since I can get the weight I want 675-750gr depending on insert and point weight.

I still like wood but hard to find the old Sweetland and Alaskan forgewood compressed shafts in the spine I want.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
Is there a brace height chart for older bows you buy second hand and the manufacturer is out of business? I have 2 Wing Falcons in 25# and 40# and cannot get any definitive info on the brace for these bows.

Sam

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
Sam,  

Most of those older bows do well around 8" of brace. Might go to the collectors forum on here and get a better answer.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
Danny,

How much extra would you add for a 200 grain head?

I have some 85-90 Shurewoods weighing in at 700 grains that shoot pretty darn good with a 200 grain ACE broad head. I got em for another bow and just trying to figure out how to get to the end of that formula for future reference.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
as to brace height; I noticed Byron Fergusons brace height on his bows to be what looks to be about ten inches to a foot... is brace height good at 8 inches then bad at 9; then good again at 10- is there a magic formula? Like involving bow length; grip type; center shot .... ???
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
Jim,

I was taught to add 5# of spine for anything over 145gr. I used to have some 90# Alaskan Forgewoods and at 29" with a 200 gr Ace Super Express they flew perfect out of a 64# Blacktail.With the 200 gr head those arrows were pushing 1000gr. I gave the arrows to a dear friend to try.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Brian, I can't imagine ANY bow being braced at ten inches to a foot unless maybe it's some novelty super short, reverse handled, super deflexed bow like the li'l suckling bows and I dont think even those are that high.  Longbows generally brace beteen 6 and 7 1/2 inches, recurves roughly 7 to 9 inches.  

Brace hight is what it is.  It is best in one particular spot for any given bow and arrow setup.  Not good at 8, bad at 9 and good at 10.  More realistic is okay at 7 5/8, better at 7 3/4 dead quiet at 8 and less good at 8 1/4.  It won't magically get good at 10 inches again.  In fact, putting a string on a bow that braces a bow that high might actually damage it.  

The numbers are an example only.  You might even fine tune down to 1/16" increments.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
"now for every inch of draw over the standard amo of 26 I add 5#"
I understand that when measuring spine for wood arrows we support that arrow on each end with a span of 26"--Is the standard that the weight range i.e. 50-55lb is for that weight at a 26" draw--for some reason I always thought that the weight range-- 50-55lb spine-- was good for a bow drawing between 50 and 55lbs @ 28" not at 26"??
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
Yeah but can you tuna casserole?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Sorry, that should be for every inch over 28". I will modify the original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Danny

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©