3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where are the BIGGEST PIGS that we can Hunt Located??  (Read 1912 times)

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where are the BIGGEST PIGS that we can Hunt Located??
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Mr. Hammond you have some big hogs at your place and are not too far away from me.  I'm saving up and hope to be in contact with you soon about a trip down.  Nice pictures.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
WOW!!  I would be absolutely tickled to death with a hog like those posted above.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Nala

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
This hog was taken in California he was 210#

Here is a pic of his skull

This one was taken in Oklahoma by a young man on his first hog and trad hunt

TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
nice pigs, wtpops!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Europe has some bigguns!

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
OMG!!! - Apex, I would have never had the cojones to drop the string on that thing...geeeze

rusty

Offline Bowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
The last pics look like they are from Turkey, when I was stationed in Germany alot of the Europeans went there for the huge hogs, They tend to get bigger in muslim territory for some reason.
Freedom isn't Free!

U.S. Army Retired

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »
Are those hog pics REAL and not doctored up or done using camera trickery?  If they are REAL I am gonna have to put that destination on my itinerary for the future.  That is an unbelievable hog.  I didn't think they got THAT big.

Thanks for posting it.  I am gonna have to save those pics on my puter for future refrence.

Nala

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
I love those pictures.

But, I just struggle to comprehend a pig that is as big as a buffalo bull, even bigger. Forgive me, but I feel a little bit like Doubting Thomas from the Good Book!

Apex Predator: is that you in those pictures? Are there any with a weapon or hand for size reference? Do you have any weight numbers for those pigs? Are the photos of one or two pigs?

Again, please forgive me for questioning - I mean no offence, my mind is just somewhat boggled looking at them.

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »
Guys, I stole these shots from another board.  I do believe the pics are real, but obviously staged to make the critter look larger than life.  Here is the link to the outfitter, that appears to be in Turkey.  If I'd have known these things were over there I would have given them a whirl, since I've been there half a dozen times!

http://www.naturetours.com.tr/galery_eng.html

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
BOWHNTR, simple explanation-Muslims don't eat pigs.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Ray I realize that  :thumbsup:
Freedom isn't Free!

U.S. Army Retired

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
There was an interesting show on one of the cable channels a while back about giant pigs.  I don't recall if it was all about pigs or other animals too but they were talking about genetics and reversion to "wild" state.  They also talked about "hogzilla" and several very large pigs in the 1,000# range.

One of the things they pointed out was the difference in head shape between a domestic pig and a wild one.  A domestic pig will have a more dished face and upturned looking nose and a wild one will have a head shape that is more of a straight line from the forehead to the snout.  If you look at Ray's 4 pictures, I think it was the third one that has a dished shape to it's head and the other two have the straight profile.  The third one was likely fewer generations from domestic.  I think they said it had a lot to do with wild pigs rooting constantly actually distorted the bone growth of the skull.  Domestic pigs get fed in a trough and don't need to or have to root for their food so their head grows shorter and concaved.

I thought it was kinda cool.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Many areas of Europe have huge hogs of Russian strain. As I mentioned earlier Romania has huge hogs, as does Turkey, Austria, Hungary and many parts of Russia. These wild hogs grow big and are only hunted by a few select fans. Across most of europe the standard metheod of hunting these hogs is to shoot them from an elevated stand in crop fields. This hunting is done at night as these big guys are mostly nocturnal. This is the reason for 56MM scopes that originated in Europe, light gathering.
It is not uncommon for hog to go 500 to 700 pounds in these regions. The thought of stalking a 700# hog up to 10-15yrds and arrowing him is scary. Better be some big trees around.
hunt it

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I don't know if he was hunting them in his home state, AR, but on the two shooting instructional videos by Ricky Welch he killed some nice hogs.  One of them was a monster that didn't look all that big when he shot it, but when he walked to where it was laying, behind a rather large log, it was clear there was more there than met the eye.  When he recovered it, it was a big hog for sure.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
Apex,
those are some nasty looking hogs for sure...but in looking at that third photo it certainly appears to have been photoshopped to the max.

Look at the greenery around the animal itself- its completely different from teh stuff behind the pig...I think that is two separate photos put together.

Same thing with just the head of the pig and the guys' faces behind....I am pretty certain thats a full shop job on that one.

the first pic, I'm not good enough to know..like I said, they are gnarly looking but I don't think they are huge pigs..if there isn't any photoshopping going on there those pigs could well be over 1000 lbs...i dont know, thats really big, brother.

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Out here in Florida the Hog population is goin nuts like in Texas and other states. The State Park officers are hireing trappers to remove them since they will not allow ANY hunting on park property. The trappers trap them and sell them to the Hunt Farm guys. I have seen several out running around on the N end of lake Okeechobee that run well over 300# and lots in the 200# range.
I have not had oportunity yet to hunt them but I am working on my hog bow and arrows, be ready soon.
See ya out there

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I don't know what breed they were, but a rancher I know in Alberta had two enormous boars in his yard and said they were over 500#'s, which I can tell you is HUGE, but he said that he had another one about the same size which they had castrated and turned loose with the cattle, when they rounded it up and sent it off to the slaughter house it was over 1000#'s, he told me the exact weight, but I just remember it was 1000#'s+,  they had to load it into the truck with a frontloader as it was to big to go up the ramp. I had two different bowhunters I was guiding in Australia, make stalks on monster pigs in tall grass that turned out to be BUFFALO, in both cases, I KNEW they were buffalo, but the hunters didn't, I can tell you I had a good laugh when they came back with their eyes showing a lot of white, they didn't think it was funny though!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Well Ray, I didn't claim to have taken the photos!  Big hog any way you care to slice it.  I've been close to one over 300# on the ground and he was pretty intimidating!  Heck, he may go over 400#.  All I know is that he was with a sounder that had four other mature boars.  They were the typical 175-180 pounders, with tusks and large grape fruit sized gear.  He was twice as tall at the back!  The other boars were constantly sparring, but none would mess with the big boy.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I'd say the biggest ones would be in the Senate as they are on a 6 yr feeding cycle as opposed to the 2 yr cycle for the ones in the House.

Same holds true for both...you want to be 15' behind them when your picture is taken...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©