3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where are the BIGGEST PIGS that we can Hunt Located??  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where are the BIGGEST PIGS that we can Hunt Located??
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Ray, those pictures are probably an example of forced perspective.  Here's a couple more examples.

In fact the whole Lord of the Rings movie is full of forced perspective to make the "hobbits" look small compared to the other actors.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Talendale - holy moly! that looks just like the swamp rabbits I hunt down in the boggy bottoms  :)

rusty -now your talking- Craine

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Rick, I can just hear the conversation....

"Now look Elmer, if we castrate that 500 lber, he'll get REAL big! So get in there with your pocket knife and get to work"...  :scared:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
dat is one skaaaaaawwwy wabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Beachbowhunter, You remember the Wild Kingdom TV show? You want to be Marlin Perkins flying around safely in the helicopter, while Jim Fowler castrates the giant angry boar with his penknife! Surprisingly when you are wringing cattle, thats the thing that seems to bother them not at all!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Rick, there's a magic switch at the base of the tail that immobilises them, and stops them from kicking. I used to hold the tail up while my Dad would castrate them. If ever the tail slipped out of my hands, there'd be trouble!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
This is a bad picture but this hog bottomed out a 500lb hanging scale with a lot of people watching.  :)  My buddy killed this one in NC along a river on land that had not been hunted for years.There were 3 others over 400lbs killed the same season.The sheild on this one was over 3" thick.It took 5 of us and two 2x10s to get it into the back of the truck.If he had not shot it crossing a road we would have had to leave it in the woods.  :D  In all my other hunting I have never seen a hog that weighed much over 200lbs however.

....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
A customer of mine had a boar taken from her place in south east missouri that was in the 380's feild dressed. She had a picture of him on a trailer that was 5 ft in width and over hung it on each side. She also has a sholder mount of one her care taker killed with a spear that was just shy of 300.

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I've had pig farmers tell me a pig never stops growing, which could be why some animals are so much bigger than others. If you check out the link to the boar hunting in Turkey it shows a rub on a tree that goes to the guys shoulder. There's another pic on there that shows about a dozen boars all laid out and they look kinda small so who knows.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
The boar in my avatar photo weighed by scales 225 lbs. Arkansas hog with a knife and two dogs.

I've killed some much bigger with a rifle, although not many. Some of the sows we get are barrel shaped and get to over 300.

I saw a boar at Ray's place last weekend that will for sure go over 300 lbs. He looked like a large black triangle. That big rascal is still there. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Im going to go south and do some pig hunting your killing me with those picks.  :banghead:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Rusty your email doesn't work for me....email me.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
These are all what I consider "big" TX hogs. All of these were taken on my lease near Columbus, TX with the exception of the last one which was taken on a ranch 3 miles away.

A big pig and a nice trophy but he's no Hogzilla

this is a pretty common sized boar on our place.

this is the biggest one I have photos of on my place.

This one came off a neighboring ranch and looks like a grizzly bear with hooves to me! Now can you hog gurus tell me how much these pigs weigh? By the way im thinking of doing an all trad hog hunt and BBO building class on this place in February after deer season. We have tons of pigs.

<<<<<>>>>>>

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I have noticed the really large ones where I hunt start to get that rhinocerous (sp?) look about them.  Like the one in your last photo.  Thier shoulders start to have a segmented look.  I would guess that one is over 300#, which is not common.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
You better put a stick of tnt on your arrow thats huge.   :eek:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
yeah big hogs are rare.

depends what you call big though. under 200lbs is relatively easy. Above that is tougher by the lb.

In all the years I've been in louisiana I've only seen 1 I guess to be 300lbs or so. There is a very notable difference between a 2 and a 3. And there was extenuating circumstances. It's bow only. It was during the closed season, deep in the swamp in an area that had all the trails brushed over during katrina. I figure he was a 200lbs pig around the storm and with nobody to bother him and lots of new growth he raised the extra digit.

Most truly big ones were pen fed. Whether people will admit it or not. Think about it. The bigger the animal the more food it needs. It's very difficult for a pig to maintain hundreds of lbs of weight in the wild. If you had to find your food do you think you could stay 300lbs?

But here is a tip. I scout year round and I notice the largest hog turds. The 15-16 inchers. Very often have bones of frogs and small animals. Also remnants of insects. I think them having access to protein during the spring when other pigs are eating greens and roots is a big factor.

So my opinion for a BIG PIG hunter is to look somewhere warm and wet. Maybe with a nutria problem. Swamps would be a good place to start.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Wyatt Lane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
If your looking for a place to hunt I recomend Ray Hamond's place in south carolina.  I got my first pig there and it wasn't very big but I've seen some pictures from there and they were pretty big.       :saywhat:

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
David there is no end to the size of hogs you have posted! ROFLMAO!!
Please tell us the story of your 'companion' above!!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
why that's the pig from Green Acres- all growed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©