3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String slips out of grooves  (Read 138 times)

Offline bigbuckric

• Trad Bowhunter
String slips out of grooves
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Fist,I am not trying to slander the bowyer! I just want to know if there is a way I can stop the string from slipping out of the grooves when I draw the bow back. This is a short 54" Sun Dog bow whic I bought used for tree stand hunting. I wonder if a string with more or fewer strands could make a difference? Or are there any other suggestions. Thanks. I have tried to locate the bowyer, Steve McGhee but he has closed Sun Dog I guess as I cannot locate anything on the net. Thanks, Ric
Bowhunting...protect it, preserve it, pass it on!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String slips out of grooves
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
chances are that it has a twisted limb.  You can probably fix it your self by stringing it and slowly drawing to see which way it twists.  The twist the other way by hand gently.  Usually this will realign the string and all will be good.  It may take a couple times to get it where you need it.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Mike has the answer for you Ric.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
If it's not what Mike said, do you have a very long draw?  It's possible to pull a string right off the tip of the bow if the bow is very short and the draw is very long.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I heard of this happening with a bow several years ago.  The string grooves were very shallow, and it had to have a small diameter string to stay in the grooves.  I also had a bow that had the grooves cut at the wrong angle on one end--had to get another bowyer to fix it for me, as the company that made it wouldn't stand behind it.  It shot fine after it was fixed.

Chad

Offline bigbuckric

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks all. I have just checked the limbs and they do appear twisted and your point makes great sense. I have fixed on old Bear Kodiak once before so I will do the same. I was really worried it may be a groove problem as LBR was suggesting. As my draw is an average 28" I do not think that is the problem. Thanks all and sorry for not posting under Pow Wow. Ric Parent
Bowhunting...protect it, preserve it, pass it on!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©