3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who Currently Makes a Single Bevel BH??  (Read 480 times)

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Currently Makes a Single Bevel BH??
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
I know Ive seen Zwickey makes a 130 grain single bevel broad head but is there anyone else currently marketing one?  Anyone have any opinions on the Zwickey?
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Currently Makes a Single Bevel BH??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Ok let me revise this, I now have found 2 manufactures of single bevel broad heads.  Eclipse makes one as well, anyone out there have any experience with this brand?

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I saw an ad in Traditional Bowhunter for a single bevel Eclipse.

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Oops, I posted before I read your second post  :D
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Eclipse and Zwickey are both excellent heads.  The most well known single bevel is the Grizzly, and we now have the new Tusker heavyweight single bevel heads as well.  More single bevels will be available soon.

You can view more about them here:

Grizzly and Tusker broadheads at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks so much for all of the timely responses, I should just expect as much when I ask such a knowledgeable and generous group such as this.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
eclipse, grizzly, ABS Ashby, zwickey, ABowyer, outback, steel force,
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Don't waste your money on the eclipse. I bought a pack of 145grn right bevel a month ago from the factory. They came to me absolutely unsharpened. Nothing had been done to the blade but a quick pass on grinder. The edge was still straight. I asked them about it and that's the way they do the single bevel so you can put the type of edge on it you want. For $37+shipping you would think they would put a little more work into them. It took me a good hour per head to get it close to sharp. Honestly for deer, which is what most of us hunt, I don't see a need for the xtra penetration a single bevel might provide. I'm gonna stick with woodsmans and magnus products, they come close to hunting sharp from the factory at a decent price.

Offline captaincaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
call me stoopid if ya want,  but I have always shot 3 blades ( snuffers or woodsmans) what is so great about single bevel 2 blades? enlighten me

Josh

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Go to the Ashby Reports part of this forum on the main page Josh.

SlowBowin, will Tusker come out with a RightWing grind at all?

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
STOS is to be putting some out in the new year I'm told?

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Tom that's up in the air right now but a possibility at some point.  We went with the left bevel on the Tuskers since the Grizzly is already available in right bevel and the heads are quite similar in profile.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
You wanted opinion and here it it.

Why would you want one???  The only reasons I can figure is if

1. your hunting something 1200 pounds plus

2. your hunting weigh bow is just near legal - 35 lbs here.

3. you aim for the shoulder blade with heavy poundage here in NA - Africa is a different story.

Penetration is greatly over reated, until you don't have it, but most important it doesn't take much to get it.  Accuracy is far more important.  Doctors still use scalpels, not beveled scalpels.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I shot a doe at 18 yards last week, in the time it took the arrow to get to her, she turned nearly 180 degrees.  Accuracy is very important, but sometimes stuff happens.

That's why I shot a Grizzly El Grande, 23% FOC Gold Tip, @ 625 grains.  The arrow passed through and the deer piled up 70 yards away in less than 10 seconds.  Had I not had complete penetration, the shot may have only hit 1 lung and not the artery in front of the rear opposite leg.

I'm not saying you should shoot what I do, but I didn't give anything up with my setup except a little speed which wouldn't have made any difference in this case.

Seeing what that 400 grain arrow out of the 40# longbow RGK shot did to that whitetail scapula (split in 2) made me a believer.

Jason

Offline Dan Palma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
Hey Rascal, check out the sponsors link for
A&H Archery and look under the our products section for Abowyer Broadheads.
"The Single Bevel Experts"
 http://acsbows.com/broadheads.html

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »
Rascal, to answer your question about who makes them, Widoweater mentions many of them.

I bought some Zwickey "No Mercy" left bevel heads for my ten yr old this year, and found them to be typical Zwickey steel. WITH SOME WORK with a quality file, I was able to clean up the edges, and get them scary sharp, and ready to hunt.

About two weeks ago, I got a package of left bevel "Bonehead" broadheads from Abowyer, and found their quality to far exceed the Zwickey "No Mercy" heads by a wide margin. I got these heads for free, because I was one of the winners of the contest here on Tradgang, about naming their new line of broadheads.

I believe the Abowyer heads cost more, but I was able to have them hunting sharp in only a couple of minutes, and the Zwickey heads require a bit of work to get the job done.

I am a long time Zwickey fan, but if I was in the market for a single bevel, I would look at some of the other brands first. JMHO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©